Logic Pro X - Fade Tool? [SOLVED]

thindave

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here - trying to use the fade tool to replace a fade out on a region which was showing up, but now isn't (there are still some values in the "Fade Out" and curve setting in the track).

I select Fade Tool for the left click button, but all i get is the cursor with a little scissors icon at the bottom. I cant drag into the region like I can still do in LP9. Not sure what I'm doing wrong...

This is actually quite annoying. Why on earth can't we use fades on regions that have flex? We used to be able to on LP9 but with clicks all over the audio. I would have thought that this would be addressed in LPX. Who on earth wouldn't need to use fades on audio that has flex turned on?

This is actually quite annoying. Why on earth can't we use fades on regions that have flex? We used to be able to on LP9 but with clicks all over the audio. I would have thought that this would be addressed in LPX. Who on earth wouldn't need to use fades on audio that has flex turned on?

Using fades writes files to disk. Flex time is a real time process. It's not possible to write a file of something's that's being done on the fly. That's why.

J.

Thanks for your quick reply.

That's fair enough but I don't see how some people are going to be able to use one without the other? I might wish to correct a vocal word right in the middle of a tracking session and comp that flexed audio with an ordinary non-flexed region. As soon as I enable flex on the fly it pretty much makes that region incompatible with fades until I bounce in place. All those features should still be able to work together so as to make such a feature like flex usable in the real world. As it stands now, I need to make my final comp before daring to touch any flex. Hmm maybe real-time fades? I think Cubase might do it this way, I might be wrong.

I can't believe real-time fades are difficult to do technically - it's a volume ramp over time, it's not processor heavy and automation is already doing this anyway. So yes, I'd like the fade behaviour of Logic to be updated to not write and update fade files, with the trade-offs that requires...

I can't believe real-time fades are difficult to do technically - it's a volume ramp over time, it's not processor heavy and automation is already doing this anyway.

My guess is, because fade-ins and fade-outs use the same technology as crossfades, therefore all fades in Logic require offline rendering of a fade file before playback of the fade can occur. I suppose they could use a different technology for fade ins and fade outs, which after all, as you point out, shouldn't require offline rendering of a fade file.

I was literally going to post this little annoyance to the forum, but you had me beat!

Its odd, actually sometimes it will let me fade audio (using the 'hot corners') on a region that is flex pitched (And flex is engaged), and other times not. I thought it was a bug. I came here to report it. Will look deeper when I get back from work in a day or two (Do live-in type work)

I was literally going to post this little annoyance to the forum, but you had me beat!

Its odd, actually sometimes it will let me fade audio (using the 'hot corners') on a region that is flex pitched (And flex is engaged), and other times not. I thought it was a bug. I came here to report it. Will look deeper when I get back from work in a day or two (Do live-in type work)

My newly educated take on it is that there really is no way fade files can ever work with real-time flex. Live x-fades and fades need to be implemented like Cubase has it. They could technically make it so the flex-pitch info is burned into the fade files along with the volume changes but there will still be a loud click right where the fade file starts because flex-pitch sound is slightly different every time it plays and the fade file never changes. This is why on previous versions of LP when they allowed fades on flexed audio it used to click like crazy at times. They obviously disabled it entirely due to this. Live fades are the answer.

Well, after making my changes to my vocal track and turning off flex, I was able to put the fade back on. The audio still seems to have held the flex pitch changes...

Really? You're kidding? It would appear that turning flex off automatically makes a background wave file with the flex changes. If so this would be perfect!! I hope it's not a bug heheh

EDIT: Didn't have any luck reproducing what you did. Turning flex off surely reverts to the original audio. Where in Logic are you turning it off? There are a few places you can turn it off. On the track header there is the purple button and then theres the region flex check box. I'm sure there's also another place I can't seem to recall at this moment.

Ok, so , I hope I'm not just misunderstanding something completely here, but I'll up load a few pics.

Here's my vocal track as it is now:

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww261/davecase/LPX%20FlexFade/ScreenShot2013-07-21at122401PM.png

Then, I'll turn on Flex:

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww261/davecase/LPX%20FlexFade/ScreenShot2013-07-21at122438PM.png

Then, turn Flex on for that track:

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww261/davecase/LPX%20FlexFade/ScreenShot2013-07-21at122448PM.png

And then, turn Flex off:

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww261/davecase/LPX%20FlexFade/ScreenShot2013-07-21at122512PM.png

I never bounced the track - does the process of making flex changes create a new audio file?

So, I just created a new file, recorded a brief vocal, added a fade. Then I turned on the Flex button and the track flex button, made my changes, turned off track flex and my fade is still there.

The only change I can think of is that my original project was created in LP9...

just so i get this straight:

i would have to bounce my flexed tracks first and then put my fade in/outs?

Yes, but the other way around, comping takes first, cleaning up & (cross)fading where needed, bouncing/merging that, THEN Flexing makes more sense (to me).