Audio Music Apps folder?

fisherking

why? why is this here? (in Users>Music). it's a dupe of the folder in the User Library (App Support>Logic). i thought it might be an alias to that, but...no. a dupe. so i have two folders, both around half-a-gig, that are identical. 2 sets of custom sampler instruments, audio files...

i tried deleting one, than the other. BOTH seem to need to be there. but...what's the point? anyone??

So, I had some trouble with this initially, and now I might have screwed something up. Here is what happened:

After installing LPX, I noticed the folder Audio Music Apps, and said "Ah hell no!" and deleted it. This ended up deleting the folders from the both Library/Application Support/Logic folders. Used Time Machine to restore the Audio Music Apps folder with all content it used to contain and all is good.

But now what's in that folder is no longer reflected in the Library/Application Support/Logic folders. For example, all of my EXS instruments aren't found in the Library, but I can still access them within Logic from the Audio Music Apps folder.

In short, I have access to everything I'm supposed to be to access within Logic, but my folders are no longer synchronized. Is this going to be an issue going forward?

You'll probably have to restore the hard links. A regular alias may work.

To make an alias (I'm assuming it's only hard linking the parent folder), Command-Option-Drag the Logic folder from ~/Library/Application Support into ~/Music. Then rename it to Audio Music Apps. This creates an alias to that folder. Now, whether Logic will follow the alias to the original directory, I don't know. But it's worth a try.

I know how to make individual hard links, but I believe Logic automatically creates hard links for those files in the Audio Music Apps folder.

Thanks for your reply. I don't think I want to try making aliases. As I mentioned, LPX currently sees all of my ESX instruments that are located in the Audio Music Apps folder, even though they are not visible in the user Library. According to the manual, this should not be the case as only material in the Library, or material with an alias in the Library, should be seen by Logic. My guess is, Logic treats the Audio Music Apps folder as an extension of the user Library whether or not you see those folders within the Library. But I'm just guessing, because I see no documentation on this.

I really don't understand this "hard link" stuff, and really wish Apple had warned us ahead of time about this. I see nothing about the new Audio Music Apps folder in the LPX documentation. I'm stupid for deleting that folder, but at the time I had no idea what it was, seemed to be a duplicate of what was in the Library, and I even thought that maybe it was something I had done in a drunken haze...

Frankly, Apple's treatment of the users Library folder over the last few years has been really strange and confusing.

I almost did the same thing you did. I was about to delete my old Logic 9 templates since I thought the Audio Music Apps folder was distinct from the old Logic folder. Before I emptied the trash, I double checked to make sure. Apple ought to make it clearer though, you're right.

Just so I'm clear on this, there are now 3 places sampler instruments are stored:

1) in the Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Logic (this is the factory content)

2)~user/Library/Application Support/logic

3)~user/Music/Audio Music Apps

And what you're saying is that 3) is a hard link to 2) ?

• 4 weeks later...
I have encountered a problem where after I installed LPX It did not create the hard links to my LP9 user library folder where my user channel strips are stored along with my EXs inst/samples etc. Located here ~Home/Library Application Support/ Logic/. Nothing is in the Audio Music Apps folder. (Only The legacy factory installs are show in LPX). I have my user library unhidden, repaired permissions read & write to all, Re installed, still not there. It is a very large folder and I don't want to make a dup of it for LPX. any ideas on how to get my LP9 USER legacy stuff to show up? Thanks

• 1 month later...

I am still not understanding why Apple created this folder.

my audio music apps folder is over 40 GB!

WHY did Apple create a "hard link" duplicate?!? isn't it just taking up extra space?!? I don't care if they did it bc/ the user Logic folder was hidden, I just found it and created a shortcut for it in my finder!

So can I delete the Audio Music Apps folder? it is just duplicating my entire library! 40 GB!

Also, when installing 3rd party EXS instruments, where do I install them? under the Logic folder or the Audio Music Apps folder?!?

1414958969_ScreenShot2013-09-23at7_36_18PM.thumb.png.7216c026396191030fb6300703c50543.png

I am still not understanding why Apple created this folder.

my audio music apps folder is over 40 GB!

WHY did Apple create a "hard link" duplicate?!? isn't it just taking up extra space?!? I don't care if they did it bc/ the user Logic folder was hidden, I just found it and created a shortcut for it in my finder!

So can I delete the Audio Music Apps folder? it is just duplicating my entire library! 40 GB!

Also, when installing 3rd party EXS instruments, where do I install them? under the Logic folder or the Audio Music Apps folder?!?

it's not a dupe, it's the SAME folder; do NOT delete!

• 1 month later...
guys need some help. ok first of all i used to have logic pro 9 full library installed. but all of a sudden my mac crashed and wasnt able to boot in so i figured out just formatting and reinstalling fresh new osx. well i thought i backed up all the data in HD/Library/Application Supports/Logic, HD/Library/Audio, HD/Users/Library/Application Supports/Logic, and after i installed the new logic pro x, of cos everybody know that theres an audio music apps folder in music folder. so i put back those data in. but after i load logic, theres about 10gb+ of legacy data that was detected. do i did something wrong here? theres another thing, i pasted th previous backed up HD/Users/Library/Application Supports/Logic data to the audio music app. since we all knew that audio music apps folder were hardlinked to the users logic folder, but when open up the users logic theres nothing there. some help please?? should i redownload the 10gb+ legacy data?? any other solution please?? thanks

• 2 months later...

Eric, I am not very experienced in the terminal. So as to not make a mistake. If I paste this code below in the terminal:

where it says ("Use: hlink \n"). I would replace with the name "Audio Music Apps" (which is empty), inside the Music folder. And replace with the name of the LP9 user Logic folder (that contained all the folders from ~Library> App Support> Logic) now on ext HD, called "~Logic". or is it the other way around? am I close?

#include

#include

int main(int argc, char* argv[]) {

if (argc != 3) {

fprintf(stderr,"Use: hlink \n");

return 1;

}

int ret = link(argv[1],argv[2]);

if (ret != 0)

perror("link");

return ret;

}

Thanks Eric, This is getting a little too deep for me. DO you happen to know of a app, automator workflow or, like I have a contextual menu that creates symbolic links, easy. Anything like that for hard links? They have always worked before but not in this situation. or a one step terminal command. I appreciate your help. winwoodb

Not working for me yet.... maybe I am just that Terminally Retarded, but would you mind to create the actual complete Hard Link code that I can copy & paste into the terminal. So the Macintosh HD> Music>"Audio Music Apps" folder will point to my ext drive called "Samples" to a folder called "Logic" (originally moved from the ~Library>App Support> Logic) and now lives on he ext drive called "Samples" where I keep all the LP9 user folders, EXSamples, Sampler Inst, Channel Strips, etc. which I want to use in LXP.

btw, I think other Logic users will find this every helpful also. All they will need to do is change the names of the ext HD & folders in the code to match the names they use. thanks a lot.

Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if something has changed with this in the 10..0.5 update, but that says:

When saving an EXS instrument, the default save location is now ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Sampler Instruments.

If they're hard links I expected that if I delete, say, a sampler instrument .exs file from the "Audio Apps" folder then it will also go from the "Library" folder. But this is not the case. Also when I switch in to Terminal and take a look at the apps folder and run a PWD it's saying I really am in that path on the file system. Hence they are not looking like hard links to me - this folder is behaving like a totally separate entity. I am seeing the same thing when I, for example, save a Plug-in setting using Logic 9. It goes into the Library folder structure - is not found in the Apps one. Can others confirm this?

It looks like 10.0.5 (or earlier?) copied the folder over to Apps and will use that one henceforth. The old one seems to only be Logic 9's default User location now. I wish they would document what they're doing!

Further to the above, I'm still looking at how these folders are used. Logic Pro X does use the ~/Library/App Support/Logic one to store a file called "LoopsDatabaseV08.db" when it indexes Apple Loops, I notice. This file is not stored in the ~/Music/Audio Music Apps folder. That seems a bit inconsistent - it's the only way I can see Logic Pro X using that folder in preference to the Apps one as yet.

If anyone else can confirm they do not in fact see mirroring going on with there two locations please do so.

@afx

Your system seems funky. I have perfect mirroring between the two folders.

Thanks for getting back to me. I wonder how that can have happened then. Everything seems to work fine. Here's how the two look:

394768908_ScreenShot2013-12-30at01_08_55.png.da5704b2195ce58d78a374a8a5e56c29.png

Different modified times, different content. Not sure how to go about repairing this. If anyone else notices the same please let me know.