Logic X Snapping | Bounce | Scroll

YopoMusic

Afternoon

I have a question about snapping regions in the "Main" area

I have my snap value to ticks but if I want to move a region very close to another but not butted up - I can't unless I use key controller contrl - without that controller key it just snaps to the other region. I get a yellow playhead at that point so maybe I have something setup wrong?

Also if you want to drag a region say backwards to earlier in the recording - the main page doesn't scroll when you drag beyond the boundaries of the current view. Is there a setting for that do you think?

Bounce is fine except it's a 2 stage process which is minor work flow niggle if you have a lot of cues to master. First pane to choose format and then you move to another window to save the file.

Regards

Jonathan

I have this same problem.

Snapping audio or midi around never seems to be exact unless i'm zoomed right into the bar, which is annoying when trying to look at the project overall and quickly copying or moving regions in place.

Am i doing something wrong or have it setup wrong?

It does that snapping with many functions like autopunch or even just placing the playhead with the pointer.

I also had the snap set to a small increment, ticks, and tried "absolute value" and it doesn't do that.

Sometimes it snaps to the nearest beat, sometimes to the nearest measure.

I thought that was the whole point of the options in the snap menu?

Has anyone figured out how to bypass or turn that off?

I was just trying this different snapping stuff.

In LP9 if I adjusted the beginning or end of a piano loop eg.

It would ask if you wanted to move info inside of the loop.

I can't remember the exact language.

Now let's say I use sustain pedal and get excited and play a little before the loop start, it just cuts off the notes.

Before if you had to shorten, it asked to keep that info?

This is shortening the region

Tried the trim etc.

Am I missing a simple thing here?

I was on the phone with a very helpful tech at Apple for 2 hours yesterday with these snapping issues (as well as another issue regarding scroll-zoom modifier key changes)–– and used remote desktop to show them the behavior, which they ultimately recognized to be screwed up (ie, a bug after all, not a feature- as I had also wondered).

I have found that the behavior is most apparent in summing track stacks, or even on other tracks in projects that just have a track stack present. But I have also experienced it in projects without any track stacks. For me, dragging and copying regions using the option modifier is where the problem manifests itself the most viciously. I might grab 4 regions that are off the grid by a few sample lengths, option+click and drag them 4 bars forward to copy them, and they will snap+copy at strange intervals, like 4 bars and 16 sample lengths forward, instead of 4 bars forward. I think this stems from the same weird snapping behavior, because as soon as I option+click and hold the anchor region, before I even drag the copies 4 bars forward, they snap to very arbitrary spots sort of near where the original instances are actually sitting (like for instance, 16 sample lengths back). If I choose a different one of the regions to use as the anchor, the behavior might be totally different (ie correct). Like lastjapan, I also have found that zooming in changes the snapping behavior significantly. It seems as if the snapping changes relative to the arrange window's perspective-- so zooming in close often corrects the behavior, as the intervals between points become smaller. Still, certain regions will insist on snapping into strange places as soon as I click on them, with or without modifier keys. It also seems as if doing corner changes on a region that is snapped to grid (thus causing it to be off grid), will causes that region to them snap/copy unevenly. Finally, and I didn't realize this was significant until I spoke to the tech, the yellow lines that appear when the regions snap, should NOT appear, except in certain circumstances (not sure exactly when, but its seems only at significant spots in a sequence, like on the 1)-- instead it should just be the regular dim white cursor line that snaps around at set intervals (depending on your settings).

First, we tried playing the with snap settings, to no avail (the tech wasn't sure how to turn off snapping altogether, as one can in previous versions-- which is weird... but anyway) -- he was insistent that the copy+paste thing should be solved by setting snap points to relative values instead of absolute, but no luck. Then he had me trash the logic10 AND previous Logic9 preferences files in User/Library/Preferences (I backed them up first, of course), which also did not fix the problem. Finally he had me create a new user and try out Logic X there without EVER running Logic 9-- to see if I could replicate the problem. Sure enough, the snapping behavior was muuuch closer to what I would expect from Logic-- very close to Logic 9, and much more comfortable. Also, I can sense much more difference in behavior between the different snapping modes using this fresh user, and the strange yellow snap lines barely ever appear (instead the white cursor bar just pretty much snaps as it's supposed to at the intervals I tell it to) -- the Apple tech confirmed the frequent yellow bar snaps are def not the correct behavior, and he could not replicate it on his end.

He basically concluded that it was because of my previous logic 9 install and user settings (and maybe some of my installed plugins packs) that were likely interfering with with Logic X's settings, but he also acknowledged this was maybe a more broad bug, and was eager to move the issue up the chain. I am still in contact with him, and hopefully I will be doing a screen capture video of the behavior so he can send it to the engineering department. Anyone else with this bug, please describe your circumstances, and how the bug manifests! I will pass it along!

OSX 10.8.4

Mac Pro 2x2.4 quadcore xeon

22gb ram

Hi Does anybody knows why when you "repeat region/events" in "piano roll" the notes don't snap to bar

or to beat ? no matter what Adjusments I choose when I repeat the notes they don't snap,

in logic 9 works good but in logic X it doesn't, those notes should snap to 1.3 beat, Like in the picture of logic 9,

I just can't figure it out, I wonder if it is a bug :?

can somedy help me?

here's a photo

Thanks

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.6a7aa29aa8e8641bb4c4657069fcbec4.jpg

I have the exact same problem and it's driving me nuts. I option-drag copy audio and midi regions and regardless of Snap setting, even with "Snap regions to absolute value" checked, Logic wants to snap regions a few ticks behind the beat or bar. For instance I want to option-drag copy a region from 6.2.1.1 to 7.2.1.1 and no matter how precise I get with cursor movement, Logic wants to snap it to 7.2.1.13. -- an extra 13 ticks behind. Even when I control-drag a region (thus bypassing snap settings entirely) and finally drop it sitting perfectly on the grid at 7.2.1.1, literally the next time I simply click that region without moving it, it jumps back to 7.2.13 and I have to deal with it again.

I had both 9 and X installed on the same machine and assumed shared preferences between the two might be causing the bug. Then I saw this thread and tried the above bit about creating a new User and opening X for the first time and leaving 9 alone. That seemed to fix the snapping issue from what I could tell (and the UI felt a lot less sluggish when I'd scroll around the session or hit X to bring up the mixer, but that's another story).

So I wiped my entire OS, did a fresh install of Mountain Lion and Logic Pro X (did not install 9) and unfortunately the same snapping error is still happening which means that having Logic 9 installed may not have been entirely connected with the issue. The UI seems less latent, however the snap issue remains.

OSX 10.8.4

MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Intel Corei7

16GB ram

What now ?? I'm having the same problem on the snap pop up.. only piano roll working . It's like the snap on the main window is DEAD . Doesn't meter what's the value , bar... division ...didn't have this problem in logic 9!!! And I install LPX after install OSX from scratch

• 4 weeks later...
My killer issue is being unable to move/change length of notes in the Piano Roll by ticks. I find that "ticks" offers enough res. for my ears, and to be able to locate a note on a precise tick is crucial to my workflow. In L9, I am able to do this by holding shift+control while holding down and dragging in piano roll. Some seem to find that just holding down "control" alone subdues the evil grid. Boody, you are steps ahead. We have the same computer and OS FWIW. I can't use the new Logic which "bugs" me. I wonder how long it will take them to fix this. Meanwhile, L9 is still pretty great and I have it stable, so I'll be hanging out where the notes go where I want them to.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
I followed the instructions above but my version of Logic Pro X 10.0.6 doesn't have Alignment Guides in the View menu. Is anyone still experiencing these snap issues? I'm not positive that I'm having the same issue since I'm not setting to "ticks" but setting to "bar" produces all kinds of bad results whether I have set regions to snap to relative or absolute. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

This is ridiculous, even with alignment guides off and WHATEVER I set the snap selector (and absolute/relative) to, if I try to simply move a note on the piano roll from one beat to the next, regardless of zoom level, it adds or subtracts a few ticks and places it somewhere near the beat based on its own selfish reasons known only to it. It should be called the RyanAir snap.

As a logic user since Atari 1040s, I simply cannot believe that the most fundamental of edits cannot just happen with a drag and drop.

It's like trying to work out a spreadsheet on a PC in 1990.

:x :x :x :x :x

• 2 weeks later...
It really is crazy. I'm embarrassed for the Logic team for having such a crazy bug. It almost seems as if it's on purpose to spite producers from actually being able to work. I would't have half jokingly suggested such a thing except now they've actually moved the alignment grid feature into a new menu. For what purpose?