Logic Pro X works Lion 7.5, not (yet) on some Macs though

Eriksimon

1963860372_pic2013-07-18at13_29_03.PNG.717137c99967470f58bc42d9e3028c3a.PNG

OK, here's how to:

Buy Logic Pro X via a Mac that has OS 8.4 installed. From that Mac, ZIP just the Logic Pro X app and copy it to an USB stick or similar (or send it via a fileserver).

Then install it (=unzip and put in Application folder) on the Lion machine. You get an app icon with the "prohibited and/or incompatible" sign. Now rightclick the application and choose Show package contents. In the top level there is a file called info.plist. Open that in texteditor, look for the word 'minimum' (using cmd-F). Right under "minimum system" you'll find 10.8.4. change the 8 into a 7, Save & close, start Logic Pro X.

I have not extensively tested yet, but my latest LP 9 project opened and played. I could record MIDI, audio, everything basic appears to work. One 'defect' already though: Invisible playhead (fixed by updating 7.4 to 7.5).

I suggest we use this topic to report things that do not work (properly) when using this "hack".

July 22. update: no problems encountered yet.

Edited by Eriksimon

Yep, that's why I just tried it, though I was fully expecting it not to work. Would be nice if the invisible playhead is the only issue though, but I would expect more problems with graphics. The audio and midi engines appear to be doing fine though. Knock on virtual wood.

My first impression of LPX is good. I like the looks of the new mixer, the power buttons (no more alt-clicking) on both the effect and instrument slots is nice, and the visibility of MIDI notes in arrange has improved too.

Yep. Gonna update the ol' OS this weekend.

Sunday while the kids are all having fun under the sun, I'll be indoors upgrading my OS, installing LPX, and working on my "office tan". If there's any time left in the day, I'll be making some music. :)

How'd you manage to purchase with 7.4? I get a message saying I can't purchase until I update the OS.

Yeah, this is my problem. Since I'm going to get a mac book air when 10.9 hits I'm not going to pay to get 10.8.

Do updates work though? Does the additional content download ok?

Performance is actually so good that I have stopped testing and started using LP X, I'm now writing/arranging/recording a new song. I have not come across any further relevant issues besides the missing playhead. MIDI recording works, audio recording works, no graphical glitches, no other glitches, no crashes or hangs, no overloads (disclaimer: all so far). Flex pitch works, although I have only played with it briefly (I have & use MeloDyne). Have yet to try out smart controls and the new drummer thingy. All in all, LP X feels as quick as LP 9, although it does appear to start up faster. O, and I like the new splash screen, too.

My first LP X impression is that this is not so much a cosmetic update (that's selling it too short imo), as an ergonomic one; good ergonomics (aka "ease-of-use" aka "intuïtive interfacing") have always been one of Apples' starting -, selling -, and strong points. :)

OK, so not a Lion problem... unless it's a 7.4-7.5 difference (later edit: it is. No playhead in 7.4, playhead in 7.5).

I already saw a report of someone on 8.4 with the same problem though.

I did have a problem with an unresposive and incorrectly drawn controller assignments window, but that turned out to be project-specific (one I started in LP9). In a new project started in LP X it all works fine.

Edited by Eriksimon

Yep. It got me a wide invisible playhead. :(

I think it must be graphics related, because it is there, I can grab it in arrange and move (scrub) it, I can grab it and press alt and zoom with it, I can click in the timeline and it goes there, so it is only visually absent.

But maybe I will do a search amongst the tsunami of posts that happened since the release, it is impossible to keep up with all of it.

Yep. It got me a wide invisible playhead. :(

:(

I think it must be graphics related, because it is there, I can grab it in arrange and move (scrub) it, I can grab it and press alt and zoom with it, I can click in the timeline and it goes there, so it is only visually absent.

I thought it might have been a screen resolution thing

But maybe I will do a search amongst the tsunami of posts that happened since the release, it is impossible to keep up with all of it.

Sure is, I've only had it installed for a couple of hours & have not done much more than look at how things have changed. My first impressions are good, but I don't like the big border thing at the top of plugin windows. Does it really need to be so big?

I don't like the big border thing at the top of plugin windows. Does it really need to be so big?

Actually, no, it does not:

1056707823_pic2013-07-20at15_46_15.PNG.25cf5c35d2f8fc6f5dee0a8a907f1be3.PNG343864154_pic2013-07-20at15_46_23.PNG.7c2131c76160427a9808c54799804bda.PNG

Although that might not be what you mean. I agree it is not very pretty, but it is easier to spot 'n read "at a glance". Us older folk appreciate that. :mrgreen:

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, I've already been making use of the lozenge button (that's what I call it anyways) to trim it down. But then if I should ever want to select a new preset I've got to open up this huge slab with it's obnoxious power button, it was a lot more elegant before.

You oldies with your dodgy eyes, spoiling things for the rest of us, I don't know…are you sure that playhead isn't there? :P

about invisible playhead.....

I think it has something to do with the video card and screen resolution. because if you change the screen resolution - playhead appears, but it does not move and then disappears again. some people after upgrade from 10.7.4 to 10.7.5 says that it appears ....

my video card Radeon x1600....

sorry for my english...

I've updated to OSX 7.4 to 7.5, and jay! I have a playhead in LP X! So to summarize my experience so far:

everything works in LP X under OS X 7.5 (Lion).

I'd say unofficially and for the time being and probably depending on certain unknown hardware exceptions (such as the Mac Pro 1.1 with GeForce 7300 GT): Logic Pro X is compatible with Lion 7.5 on Macs with supported status, and Hackintoshes.

Greentusk and to_xxx, I think you may have to upgrade your video cards, but I have no idea if that will get you a playhead, or if there are more issues with your specific Mac models. Greentusks' is the oldest Mac Pro, and it is the only one with Vintage (unsupported) status.

OK...I'm actually upgrading my Mac Pro 1,1 to Lion to install LPX. I've already installed LPX on my MacBook Pro running OS X 10.8.4.

So when I go to the app store it tells me that it's already installed and I can't download it again! I don't have another computer with 10.8.4, how can I download the app again ? Thanks in advance ;)

I downloaded Logic Pro X onto my MacBook Pro and transferred it across to my 2006 Mac Pro studio computer running 10.7.5.

I followed Eriks info.plist modification and tried to open Logic. Unfortunately Logic did not open at all and I received a pop up window stating that my operating system was too old to open logic (really ???) I guess it will be a long frustrating wait to upgrade to a new Trashcan Mac Pro.

Processor 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Memory 5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

Neat thread! thanks for this... would love to know if it's also possible get Logic Pro X going on 10.6.8! ~ just d/led and installed the X update tonight for my Mountain Lion laptop ~ however my Music studio desktop is still very stable on 10.6.8 running Logic 9.1.8 not too keen to switch over just yet...

failing that I wonder if Backward compatibility will work — ie can NEW work we do in Pro X be brought back into the 9.1.8 install?