Logic Pro X works Lion 7.5, not (yet) on some Macs though

Eriksimon

would love to know if it's also possible get Logic Pro X going on 10.6.8!

No. From what I heard, some people have tried that in vain, and others have said that the differences between 10.6 and 10.7 are just too big to bridge with this minihack.

I wonder if Backward compatibility will work — ie can NEW work we do in Pro X be brought back into the 9.1.8 install?

No, absolutely not. LP9 projects open in LP X, but LP X projects will not open in LP9 (or earlier).

I downloaded Logic Pro X onto my MacBook Pro and transferred it across to my 2006 Mac Pro studio computer running 10.7.5.

I followed Eriks info.plist modification and tried to open Logic. Unfortunately Logic did not open at all and I received a pop up window stating that my operating system was too old to open logic (really ???) I guess it will be a long frustrating wait to upgrade to a new Trashcan Mac Pro.

Processor 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Memory 5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

The only other variable might be if ,, when you save the 10.7.5. modification you make to the info plist. What location do you save the new Omni Outliner file to. Also do you quit or just close the file

I downloaded Logic Pro X onto my MacBook Pro and transferred it across to my 2006 Mac Pro studio computer running 10.7.5.

I followed Eriks info.plist modification and tried to open Logic. Unfortunately Logic did not open at all and I received a pop up window stating that my operating system was too old to open logic (really ???)

If you get a message saying your system is too old, then you have not edited the correct plist, or you have not edited the plist correctly, or you did not save the change.

Well, that's not fair/necessarily true. It could also be that Logic "sees" the form factor of your Mac Pro (which is 1,1) and 'responds' to that.

Processor 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Memory 5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

On a different note: Please add your Logic version and system info to your signature: Forum Rules - please READ THIS before posting (#5)

The only other variable might be if ,, when you save the 10.7.5. modification you make to the info plist. What location do you save the new Omni Outliner file to. Also do you quit or just close the file

I edited the info.plist in textedit, and could save it like any other document, right on the spot where it was (inside the Logic Pro package). I do not know what an "Omni Outliner file" is, nothing like that was created. All I did was open info.plist in Texteditor, change said 8 in a 7, Save and close. I still think (I do not KNOW though) the most likely culprit is your videocard, I also saw some reports on a missing playhead in 10.8.4, but those people didn't provide any further info about their setups, so...

You could start a separate topic asking two questions:

1. if anybody got LP X to work with an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB graphics card, either with Lion or Mountain Lion.

2. If anybody got LP X to work on any Mac Pro 1,1 (=the very first Mac Pro), either with Lion or Mountain Lion. O wait, I just remeber that Lion 7.5 is the maximum OS for that Mac... if that's so, you don't necessarily have to save up for one of the new Mac Pro's, on the contrary, if I were you I'd go for an other more recent second hand Mac Pro. Chances are you will see many more of them on offer, once the Mac "doomsday cookie jar" Pro is available.

Thanks a lot for this info Erik. Super helpful.

Now I can start to learn LPX right away, wait for Mavericks to be released, then HOPEFULLY upgrade from 10.75 directly to 10.9 and save a couple Benjamins by jumping over 10.8. :)

Paid. Downloaded. Transfered to my Lion. Launched. Now Downloading additional content just fine.

Fingers crossed it works after the content download.

Greentusk and to_xxx, I think you may have to upgrade your video cards, but I have no idea if that will get you a playhead, or if there are more issues with your specific Mac models. Greentusks' is the oldest Mac Pro, and it is the only one with Vintage (unsupported) status.

Cool, my mac pro is "vintage". Sounds nice 8) Yeah, maybe i must try a newer video card.

... would love to know if it's also possible get Logic Pro X going on 10.6.8! ~ just d/led and installed the X update tonight for my Mountain Lion laptop ~ however my Music studio desktop is still very stable on 10.6.8 running Logic 9.1.8 not too keen to switch over just yet...

I´m on Mac Pro 3.1 with ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT. Editing the info.plist worked, but LPX still won´t open.

Opening Logic from within the package (Contents->Mac OS->Logic Pro X) shows a terminal window with this text:

dyld: Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/AVFoundation.framework/Versions/A/AVFoundation

Referenced from: /Applications/Logic Pro X.app/Contents/MacOS/Logic Pro X

Reason: image not found

Trace/BPT trap

logout

Anybody knows what this means? Thanks!

PS: New to this forum - hope quotations worked

Well just to let you know install seemed to go smooth enough ~ updated the Fireface driver on my Mountain Lion laptop and will carry on using both separately/together — not too crazy about the darkness of the interface but the scrollable windows are a huge bonus

and WOW ~ I actually originally bought the iPAD to use it just like it works now - however never got it happening with LP9 and the existing 3rd party apps - finally with LPX this iPAD compatibility is BRILLIANT - ~ however other than that haven't personally seen a huge benefit to the 'upgrade' and still feeling more than a bit gripey about having to relearn where everything is

btw, i had 'easy drummer' already installed - looks VERY similar to the 'new' LPX drummer

good idea about reading the manaul though — will look for a pdf to load into my iPAD

good to know about the backward non compatibility — wish there was more development to better accommodate and support using external hardware analog synths, but not seeing much at all if any change there...so far :)

would love to know if it's also possible get Logic Pro X going on 10.6.8!

No. From what I heard, some people have tried that in vain, and others have said that the differences between 10.6 and 10.7 are just too big to bridge with this minihack.

I wonder if Backward compatibility will work — ie can NEW work we do in Pro X be brought back into the 9.1.8 install?

No, absolutely not. LP9 projects open in LP X, but LP X projects will not open in LP9 (or earlier).

thanx kindly... Erik - just responded but neglected to quote you :D

fwiw ~ i have a Playhead too :lol:

10.6.8? Sorry, but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you (meaning: forget it). It seems the the "Audio Visual foundation framework" in LP X cannot be loaded in (= incompatible with-) Snow Leopard.

Uh, well, yes... but somebody reports in another forum that he´s got managed to run LPX on a 10.6.4. - Can say for sure that my Graphics card can´t do OpenCL, so the question is if changing the graphics card would help to run LXP on 10.6.8?

Ideas, anybody?

Thanks to all you guys for doing the research on this. I was dumb enough to believe some "Level 7" guy on the Apple discussion forums who said it absolutely could not be done! I wouldn't want to upgrade to Logic X unless I could use it on both my Macs - and I've been going round the houses trying to learn how to hack Mountain Lion to install on my old Mac Pro. I know its possible - but I've yet to be convinced the end result is solid for audio.

Since I can run Final Cut Pro X on my elderly Mac Pro because of the upgraded graphics card, I really don't see why Logic X shouldn't work perfectly well.

Though I much preferred Snow Leopard to Lion, it ain't that bad, and upgrading to Lion did seem to sort out some video card related weirdness following the upgrade - just FYI

Too broke right now to splash on Logic X, but will watch with interest and keep my fingers crossed for those of you blazing the trail!

cheers

Hi,

I think I have the answer to the invisible playhead question. I own a Mac Pro 1.1 which I expanded with 2x4-core processors, so it's fast enough for a couple of years to come.

i installed Logic Pro X on OSX Lion and it worked, only did I have the invisible playhead problem. The graphic card was the original one that shipped with the computer, a Geforce 7300GT. So I bought a second hand Radion 5570 because I was almost sure it caused the problem. I just placed it in my Mac Pro and now I have the much wanted playhead.

I hope this helps you further,

Andre

I guess we are gonna have to do the same thing as before, log in to the App Store on an up to date machine download the update & hope the magic still works.

Yes. Repeat the procedure as spelled out by Erik for each update.

10.0.1 is working on my Mac Pro 1,1.

I've appended the app names for clarity and so that I can have multiple versions on hand.

10.0.1.png.9fd0446c77020e5a4092eac430a9ecea.png

Hi,

I think I have the answer to the invisible playhead question. I own a Mac Pro 1.1 which I expanded with 2x4-core processors, so it's fast enough for a couple of years to come.

i installed Logic Pro X on OSX Lion and it worked, only did I have the invisible playhead problem. The graphic card was the original one that shipped with the computer, a Geforce 7300GT. So I bought a second hand Radion 5570 because I was almost sure it caused the problem. I just placed it in my Mac Pro and now I have the much wanted playhead.

I hope this helps you further,

Andre

Just checking, can you confirm that you indeed are using an AMD ATI Radeon 5570? I know that 5770 is certified by Apple, but not the 5570. I might be willing to take a chance on the 5570 if its working for you.

Greetings everyone. I like to ask for your advise in regards to upgrading OSX and also LPX.

Current Mac Pro 1.1 2.66 Ghz Dual Core can only support till 10.7.5 and i'm on OSX 10.6.8. My question is Logic Pro X worth upgrading given i have a stable system with 10.6.8 and Logic Pro 9 and with the new LPX 10.0.1 updates, would upgrading to OSX 10.7.5 be a wise choice, gaining better stability while able to use both LP9 and LPX?

Hope to get some advise before i take the next step.

Cheers

Greetings,

As much as I would like to try this out on my MacPro 1,1, I don't want to compromise the stability of my main system. I instead sent some feedback to Apple requesting that they support 10.7. Not sure how much it'll help, but thought I would at lease try. I encourage other users that have perfectly capable systems that can't upgrade to 10.8 to do the same. Maybe if there's enough demand for it Apple will help us out?

Here's the link to the Apple feedback site...

http://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

In addition, I also created a topic in the Logic Pro X New Feature Suggestions section of this forum, in hopes of drumming up support for 10.7 compatibility.

This post is located here...

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=97727

Greetings everyone. I like to ask for your advise in regards to upgrading OSX and also LPX.

Current Mac Pro 1.1 2.66 Ghz Dual Core can only support till 10.7.5 and i'm on OSX 10.6.8. My question is Logic Pro X worth upgrading given i have a stable system with 10.6.8 and Logic Pro 9 and with the new LPX 10.0.1 updates, would upgrading to OSX 10.7.5 be a wise choice, gaining better stability while able to use both LP9 and LPX?

Hope to get some advise before i take the next step.

Cheers

If you want to run Lion on your MP 1,1 you need to upgrade your graphics card.

In the Apple menu, select About This Mac, then More Info..., finally System Report. Look at Graphics/Displays. If you don't see an ATI 5770 or similar 5770, then the first step is to obtain the proper graphics card, and then install it before you'll be able to install Lion.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/6615718/

I did the upgrade and have been running Lion on my MP 1,1 since its release a couple of years ago.

You'll have to make a decision if this is something you're comfortable doing.

If you decide to go down this path, you'll still need a way to download Logic X on a Mac running OSX 10.8.4 in order to follow the steps spelled out at the beginning of this thread.

You may want to consider purchasing a new Mac Mini or iMac in order to run Logic X.

Ok, i upgraded my videocard to ATI Radeon HD 5770 and I have a playhead :-) Life is sweet, my vintage mac is back up to speed.

Too bad the bugs still left in 10.0.1 will probably dampen your happiness somewhat. :cry: O well... it'll get better.

:)

@foreststone, i just send feedback to apple for LPX support for osx lion, OSX lion is only 2 years old. (released July 20, 2011)