MIDI timeout - really struggling [SOLVED]

Atamperedgenre

Hi folks

I wonder if someone could help me out.

Im on a MacPro running that latest OS.

Midi works fine in LP9

I can play my midi keyboard LIVE in LPX and it'll 'make sounds'

but if I record then playback, it won't, it simply pops up with an error message saying

"Logic has experienced a MIDI timeout"

Ive been through the regulars of

deleting ProTools

removing any midi driver,

restarting the program,

restarting the machine,

but nothings working...

Please help Im going mad!

Atamperedgenre -

What audio interface are you using?

I am using a Digi-003 rack right now, and I am getting a midi-timeout error about every 20 minutes.

I had to upgrade to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard to run LPX. But I can say that my tests with LP9 have not had any midi-timout issues.

I'm not sure if it is a Mountain Lion issue, or a Logic-X issue, but I have a feeling that my Digi-003 drivers are related in some way.

I haven't tried a different user account, or initializing the preferences, but I will, probably tomorrow, when I have more time, I'll keep you posted if I figure anything out.

• 4 weeks later...

So what exactly do we lose when we delete those Prefs files?

I'm curious because I'm doing my own projects in LX now (and having the timeout error on Capture...) but must hang onto L9 for a while, for a variety of client-y/teach-y reasons -- so I don't want to trash prefs that would hurt to lose.

Thx!

OK, so "preferences" very literally: everything in the Prefs dialog, all tabs... OK. Not the end of the world. Didn't know if it included anything beyond that.

Re: one affecting the other, the poster above said s/he had to delete both X and 9 prefs to make a difference, so maybe I'll try the Initialize all first, then delete both revs' prefs only if that doesn't work.

Thanks much.

FWIW, I wouldn't be so quick to delete all those prefs, especially your L9 prefs.

Trashing prefs resets many more things than meets the eye. And that can be a very big deal if you have a lot of custom preference settings. My recommendation is to only trash prefs as a last resort, after you've exhausted all other possibilities.

It can be a very big deal if you have a lot of custom preference settings.

But for many users who haven't customized much of anything at all it's no big deal.

When you get into heavy preference-customizing I highly recommend you keep a backup of your preference files. That way if you ever need to reset or trash a corrupted preference file, you can replace it with your backup and you still have your custom prefs.

If you're afraid of trashing the pref file you can always drag it to the desktop: if trashing the prefs helped then the pref file on your desktop is corrupted, if it didn't, then you can move it back where it was (after quitting Logic) so that you haven't lost any custom prefs.

True - the old hidey-folder trick...

Interestingly, the other thing besides Capture that's been giving me a MIDI timeout error is attempting to connect Logic Remote. I have a case number open with Apple now to try to get that resolved. Brand-new iPad Mini w Apple Care, figured I'd cash in on that support. But that's another topic.

Cheers, guys - thanks for being here. Such a great resource.

• 10 months later...