Logic Pro 10.6 Official Manual and Resources

David Nahmani

Thanks! When I option dbl-clk that meter I get a new compressor, but not an EQ. My brain seems slow this morning...

I had tried it earlier and it worked as Eli described. Now I tried it again and like you, it only loads a compressor. However, if I hold down Control+Option while double-clicking the gain reduction meter, I do get both the EQ and Compressor.

EDIT: Now suddenly Control-Option double-click ceased to load an EQ and Compressor :?: I also notice that Option single-click (not double-click) loads a lone compressor. I don't understand this sporadic behavior. I give up.

EDIT#2: New empty project (a fresh one 'cause the last one I tried was also a new empty project) > Option+double-click = EQ+Comp...Option-Single-Click = Compressor....After fooling a bit more with it, Option+double-click ceases to load the EQ, just the compressor....I pass.

J.

My findings:

doubleclicking Gain Reduction Meter loads a compressor.

ctrl-doubleclicking GRM loads a compressor.

shift-doubleclicking GRM lac.

ctrl-shift-doubleclicking GRM lac.

alt-(single)clicking GRM lac.

alt+ shift and/or ctrl and/or cmd-(single)clicking GRM lac.

...but all that ever loads is one compressor.

Just tested also in empty new project with one audio track, same behaviour as above - I never get an EQ - except when I doubleclick or alt-singleclick in the empty EQ thumbnail field just below the GR meter... which makes sense to me... and since the EQ thumbnail is only a millimeter or less below the GR meter, couldn't there have been some misclicking going on...?

Haha...

I know what's happening. :lol:

The channel strip resizes so you are in fact not option-double-clicking.

You are option-clicking the gain reduction meter > THE CHANNEL STRIP RESIZES > you option-click the EQ display. :D

It's easier to do on the Inspector Channel Strip that resizes the whole time if the channel is empty.

It's harder in the Mixer because after the first one all others resize too.

Are you sure?

It's working fine here.

Positive!

Regardless of the key combination (Opt/Shift/Ctrl/Cmd), on either the gain reduction meter or the EQ thumbnail, either in the mixer or the inspector channelstrip display, which BTW does not seem to resize as described above.

Anyway, this seems to be some kind of easter egg...

Are you sure?

It's working fine here.

Positive!

Regardless of the key combination (Opt/Shift/Ctrl/Cmd), on either the gain reduction meter or the EQ thumbnail, either in the mixer or the inspector channelstrip display, which BTW does not seem to resize as described above.

Anyway, this seems to be some kind of easter egg...

The channel strip resizes so you are in fact not option-double-clicking.

You are option-clicking the gain reduction meter > THE CHANNEL STRIP RESIZES > you option-click the EQ display.

It's easier to do on the Inspector Channel Strip that resizes the whole time if the channel is empty.

It's harder in the Mixer because after the first one all others resize too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Speaking of resources... Which has the greater drain on the processor(s); a track muted by using TRACK mute or by REGION muting. Or does it not make a difference?

I guess another way of asking my question might be... If I do NOT want to use a number of tracks in a project ---but I don't want to discard them--- what's the best way to take them "out of play" and minimize their impact on any resources?

If I do NOT want to use a number of tracks in a project ---but I don't want to discard them--- what's the best way to take them "out of play" and minimize their impact on any resources?

Muted tracks and their plugins are still playing and processing audio, there's no difference to CPU hit when muting one, or ten, or all tracks. Muted audio regions I'm not sure, I never mute regions to save CPU. I'd say the difference would be minimal. For MIDI regions, the difference is bigger, since no more audio processing happens when there's no MIDI going to the software instrument.

If I do NOT want to use a number of tracks in a project ---but I don't want to discard them--- what's the best way to take them "out of play" and minimize their impact on any resources?

To be sure I disable unused tracks threefold: I mute all the regions, I turn off the track with its' power button and I bypass all plugins. And finally I hide them, too.

691753901_pic2014-03-02at18_53_35.PNG.baa5129399652f44d6dfd390c9a2fb31.PNG

No, he must have alt-clicked the FB. Clicking it doesn't do anything in my project, but alt-clicking indeed creates two mono outputs! Clicking (or alt-clicking!) either of those mono output channel strips' format buttons returns them to one stereo (with the plugins that were originally inserted).

Neat indeat!

follow up:

In a new project simply clicking works, if there are stereo plugins on the channel strip simply clicking still works - only in the project I was working on earlier, I had to alt-click. :? Lesson: IF just clicking doesn't work, try alt-clicking...

Follow-up followed up: I just reopened that project, and now that also works with simply clicking... I assume :?: my RAM contents had become corrupted :?: ... :( Lesson 2: if you have to alt-click, better quit and restart...

No, he must have alt-clicked the FB. Clicking it doesn't do anything in my project, but alt-clicking indeed creates two mono outputs! Clicking (or alt-clicking!) either of those mono output channel strips' format buttons returns them to one stereo (with the plugins that were originally inserted).

Neat indeat!

Nope, clicking without modifiers is all it takes here.

J.

Neat indeat!

Nope, clicking without modifiers is all it takes here.

J.

Yes, I found out that my project suffered a temporary glitch. Didn't you see my follow up...?

• 3 months later...

Analog recall photos via track notes.

I was hoping to be able to paste a picture right in the note field but it's not quite that cool but close.

Using an iPhoto, you can set up a new album for each project and drag the photos of the gear into there, then drag the photo from the folder to the track notes. I don't how it changes the link if any, depending on which folder it's in. You can use an iPhone and iCloud to have photos go to iPhoto via wifi right after you take them, I haven't got that working yet though.

Anyway, pretty cool! Take photo, drag into notes, recall documentation done!

Not sure Slam but it seems to just be creating a link to where the picture is stored. So I would guess you could have the pictures in any folder and drag it to the notes field and it would create the link but I haven't tried it.

Still trying to refine it, I've started using a little better camera other than my iphone and just connecting it via USB, dragging those into the photo album I created for the project and dragging them from there. It's a bit tedious dragging the photos into each session for each track but it seems to be faster than trying to organize the photos other ways. Recall is definitely nice and quick once the links are there. Cropping the photo to just the piece of gear to be recalled is useful too.

You can rename photos with descriptions in iphoto so you can have the photo easily identifiable to drag into new sessions if the settings are the same.

• 7 months later...
Here's my tip for the day..

With Drummer, you can have separate outs.

1. Initiate drummer track

2. Change the Drum Designer plugin to EXS24 multi out (after you've picked a kit)

3. Click the plus button on the channel strip as many times as you need to separate things... Logic will create labelled, setup Aux's Kick, Snare, Toms, Hi-Hat/Perc.

Brilliant Tip

Being new to DAW's and Logic, this tip is a godsend. I can't begin to tell you how frustrated I was screwing around with drum machines on my VS systems and trying to separate each drum to it's own track. In my first few weeks using Logic, it has made recording really fun again.