Logic initializes core audio twice, very slowly

Protone

Does this happen to any of you?

All my large projects that used to open quite smoothly in lp9 now open very very slowly in lpX. Almost every time logic does the whole "opening project" procedure twice, initializes core audio, loads all instruments and samples.... initializes core audio again... And after that everything is very clitchy for few minutes until the session finally starts to work as expected.

I even have some projects that crash at some point of that procedure described above, or crash when I hit play after it´s finally opened.

Also my Logic Pro 9 doesn´t work anymore after installing lpX, so this is very frustrating... (I did try to uninstall and delete carefully lp9 and installed it again, but still its not working. Crashes on startup every time.

• 1 month later...

Never tracked this down definitively, but these were my two suspicions:

1. Instances of East West's Play engine seemed to cause this for me sometimes (though that may have been fixed in a revision)

2. I noticed a difference in behavior depending on how I opened projects. Specifically, loading Logic first (set to load nothing on startup), then loading a project seemed to help. Double-clicking to open existing projects seemed to yield the double-load behavior more often.

Again, this isn't terribly scientific, but would be curious if either of these affect you guys as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

This is my first post and I've got to this forum by searching this issue at google. I'm experiencing the same issue mentioned in the first post. I've got a project running 120+ tracks at lpX including 32 Lives converted TC PowerCore plugins, UAD-2 plugs, Native Instruments plugs and many many other. I'm trying to solve this out myself too.

On Apple forums, there was a post that said you can avoid this issue by opening a blank project first. Haven't tested it out yet, so can't confirm. Also there was someone saying Native Instruments engine causes initialization to core audio engine in lp9 & lpX but can't confirm that either.

There was also a post that said you could launch logic without audio engine -> load project -> set core audio and it's sorted. You can launch Logic without engine by holding down control right after you click the image on the dock. This method didn't work for me.

I'm running lpX at 2.66 Quad late 2009 with 13Gt ram and Mavericks.

Ok, so I'm back with some results which ain't good.

I opened up lpX with audio engine disabled (after clicking the lpX image, press crtl). Then I opened up my project with 120+ tracks and removed all plugins except one UAD plugin to see if it loads in and then drops off and loads back in again. And that's exactly what happened.

Initializing Core Audio came right up after the Audio I/O re-selection & project was loaded.

When my project was cleaned of plugins (except uad2) and track objects, I saved it. Then relaunch lpX. Same issue again.

I removed all the unused audio files, saved it and relaunch = no more initialization for audio engine. :) That was good result, except my project was cleared out. :|

Next I tried to remove the audio files from the original project = initializing core audio came with it, no help whatsoever.

So the big question is: Is the project itself corrupted by some event triggered by the user while loading in plugins or is it some sort of a memory leak / miscommunication with the core audio driver?

David, I heard you're dealing with Apple quite a lot, or then I'm wrong, but is this issue being noticed at Apple and are they investigating it? I'm open to share my parsed project with someone else to try it. Only plugin loaded: UAD-2 4K Channel Strip. Doesn't really mater if someone has it or not, the most important thing is to try if the Audio Engine resets itself while opening the project.

• 4 weeks later...
Are all of you guys using UAD?

I was just wondering if it could be an issue with UAD.

Yes issue here (more with 10.0.5 though) and yes UAD Apollo Duo on TB to Firewire converter. Sometimes UAD audio drops out in Logic, yet still works outside of logic.

• 4 months later...

Thought i'd add my tuppence worth.....

I've no bloody clue what's going on with my Mac any more. The Core audio constantly drops out for me. Every time I use Logic almost, I have to reset Core audio in the audio prefs pane before I can do anything else.

I do use 32 lives. But, I had this problem before I started using it. So I doubt it's anything to do with that..

Also, I've started finding that the audio now drops out on iTunes, general internet sites that use audio (sound cloud, youtube etc) too. So I have to go into the sound section in my system prefs as well now.

Getting pretty wound up by it all tbh. :cry:

Hate updates.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I don't know if this will help everyone/anyone. But my issues with having to reboot core audio disappeared when I deleted the supposed 'disc cleaner' called MacKeeper off (both) my macs.

Damn program is basically malware for Macs. DO NOT USE THIS PROGRAM!!

Any of those "clean your Mac" or "make your Mac faster" apps are to be avoided!!

They do more harm than good. It's not Windows, you know.

• 5 months later...

I'm seeing this exact issue still, especially on bigger projects.

Usually happens when I make an undo, or sometimes just randomly the loading wheel will come on and it will initialise core audio again.

I use at least one instance of Kontakt on all my projects. When core audio initialises, the grey box comes up from Kontakt to re-load the audio files. Very annoying when I have a few Kontakt instruments, takes a long time!

• 8 months later...

It started happening to me today for no reason. I've had too many plugins before and having gotten the disc overload error. But this is different because logic X will crash completely when initializing core audio.

I fixed it somewhat, seems steadily working now one I get it working but some projects are still are unstable loading. I just hope when I record for people I'm not struggling with it for hours.

These seemed to help:

1. I/O buffer size 1024

2. Large Process buffer range

3. Low Latency mode

4. Loading a blank project first

5. Plugged my Focusrite directly to my laptop instead of using a USB hub (Seemed to help a little bit, or at least remove some variables)

Now my complex template with like 30 plugins works and runs seemlessly for hours but ironically when I load the exact same template with all plugins bypassed it crashes. So bypassing isn't helping. Which makes me think it is struggling to load all the plugins (when it says initializing core audio) in time but then it'll timeout. A different plugin is the culprit every time which makes me think it is some sort of loading CPU issue with too much information being thrown at the computer and not a corrupt plugin issue. With a blank project it ALWAYS works changing from focusrite to built in audio core without crashing. So there is something in the template and my previous mixes that is causing problems. Maybe I need more RAM...

It's just strange because it was working the day before and I haven't changed anything. I could have just gotten a virus or malware possibly.

Audio Drivers? I'm using Yosemite 10.10 and I've avoided updating because it usually causes more problems than solutions.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...