[61 Key MIDI Keyboard] Axiom vs. MPK2 vs. Impulse

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a 61 Key MIDI Keyboard, with semi weighted keys and a few midi controls. On other forums, I've read that the Novation Impulse, the M-Audio Axiom MK2 and the Akai MPK2 are very good ones, which correspond to what I want, but I don't know which one I should buy.

- Novation Impulse : http://global.novationmusic.com/midi-controllers/impulse

- M-Audio Axiom MK2 : http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Axiom61.html

- Akai MPK2 : http://www.akaipro.com/product/mpk-261#specs

Which of these keyboards should I choose ? Should I avoid one of them ? Why ?

Thanks in advance for your answers. :) And sorry for my bad english, I'm french...

Edit 1 : I believe that to advise me better, you need to know what other hardware / software I have : Mac Pro, Logic X on OS X Mavericks, and various AU plugins from Lennard Digital, Novation, Native Instruments, Waves, U-He, FXpansion & FabFilter.

Edit 2 : I'm not really interested in the NI Maschine-like Pads on the keyboard, since I can use the keyboard to play my drums. What I mean isn't that I don't want them but that it's not necessary for me to have them.

I hope you don't mind, but with respect I would suggest you take a look at the Nektar controller series. I should point out that I work for Nektar! ;-)

However we have added integration for both the Panorama P6 controller series and the Impact LX61 that is dedicated specifically for Logic X.

http://www.nektartech.com

Best Regards,

Tim

I've already thought about buying this one, but the store where I usually buy my hardware doesn't sell it. I could get it on the internet, but my store gives me 50% off...

Unfortunately it really depends upon who you ask. My experience was that the Axiom keybed felt good in the store, but once I got it home and started using it, I eventually came to realize that it was electronically flawed and was introducing random bursts of MIDI data that were screwing up my recordings and in fact were threatening to damage the motorized faders on my MCU Pro. I eventually put it aside and got an Novation Impulse, with which I am MUCH happier (although those Nektar controllers do look interesting ... I only wish I could try one out in person to see how the keybed feels, etc.)

I'd sell you my Axiom cheap, as it is just collecting dust now ... but I couldn't bring myself to saddle anyone else with that junk. I will probably have it hauled away as trash soon.

Unfortunately it really depends upon who you ask. My experience was that the Axiom keybed felt good in the store, but once I got it home and started using it, I eventually came to realize that it was electronically flawed and was introducing random bursts of MIDI data that were screwing up my recordings and in fact were threatening to damage the motorized faders on my MCU Pro. I eventually put it aside and got an Novation Impulse, with which I am MUCH happier (although those Nektar controllers do look interesting ... I only wish I could try one out in person to see how the keybed feels, etc.)

I'd sell you my Axiom cheap, as it is just collecting dust now ... but I couldn't bring myself to saddle anyone else with that junk. I will probably have it hauled away as trash soon.

Thanks. Actually I'd already read critics about the Axiom that said that it was just made to look good and not to be powerful, but I wanted to confirm it... I won't buy that one.

djeos546 said:

Thanks. Actually I'd already read critics about the Axiom that said that it was just made to look good and not to be powerful, but I wanted to confirm it... I won't buy that one.

In the spirit of fairness, I should also warn you about one complaint I do have with the Impulse ... the velocity sensitivity of the black keys seems to be different (greater) than that of the white keys. It doesn't bother me all the time or anything, but occasionally I get a little annoyed by it. So while I am happier now, I still don't feel that I have found the perfect MIDI controller.

If only there were a Nektar dealer in Minnesota ...

I may be incorrect so you should research it more, but:

1) I don't know if those are really semi-weighted. That term seems to have been stretched in the last decade. It used to mean: similar to a piano/electric piano. Now it means something like: not total junk.. So you should definitely play one and see if it is what you want.

2) I briefly had an Akai Pro and it didn't work quickly with Logic. You need to use Mackie controls. I suspect this Akai you linked to is similar. Novation I believe is much easier to use with Logic. You can read about it, but there are definitely issues about compatibility with Logic. I don't think there is a learn function, so it is not easy to map faders.

Like I say, I may be wrong, but you should definitely research these two issues more.