External hard drive will not mount through UAD Apollo

This is probably not a Logic Pro X issue, but to be certain I thought I should get an opinion from the experts here since I was using LPX when the problem started.

Suddenly in the middle of an edit (using Flex time in LPX,version 10.2), my system locked up. There was a brief flash of an error message but I didn't really get it. I thought it was just another Logic lock up. Restart and get on with it.

Then on rebooting my MBP (2009, 10.9.5 Maverick), my external firewire HD (OWC 1TB) would not mount on the desktop. The chain is HD to Apollo Quad (silver) to MBP (laptop) via FW. I always power up the HD first, then the Apollo, and then computer. Since this problem, when I turn on the system the HD power light flickers and does not stop, when before it just did that for a few seconds upon startup. It appears that the HD is trying to connect to the Apollo but can’t. All the cables are new and tested fine. I did a hard reset of the Apollo. No change. I also did a complete uninstall of UAD software. incidentally, last week, before all this happened, I upgraded UAD software from 8.6 to 8.7. Thinking that may be the cause, I reinstalled 8.6. No change.

The drive does mount when connected directly to my MBP. No continuing flickering light then.

If I chain the Laptop to HD to Apollo, the drive does mount but the audio is full of static and cracks, and as I mentioned, the HD flickering light.

Don’t know what else to try. Is there some driver that I could be missing? Any suggestions?

Just spent an hour on the phone with a nice person in tech at OWC and we concluded after more disk utility-checking, plugging and re-pluging, it is probably fine. As mentioned already, the drive tries to connect to the Apollo and it's pilot light flickers while doing so. It never connects so it just keeps flickering (trying). The interesting thing OWC said was that it may be the drive is trying to get power from the Apollo and since the Apollo does not have bus-powered FW ports, it never powers up. That would be crazy because this drive is also ac powered by the optional ac adapter, which I am using! (OWC On-The-Go-Pro 1TB 7200rpm). Waiting for another reply from UAD. OWC said they never saw this before. Gonna be a fun weekend. Tbc...

Yes, first thing I tried. To update this forum, I did get fairly normal results by changing the device chain, computer to external drive to Apollo. Previously that config resulted in cracks and pops. Now it's ok, not ok, ok again. It varies from normal op to absolutely nothing on the Apollo meters, while Logic is in playback, showing audio. I rebooted the system, it's back to normal. I wonder what happens today. I heard from UAD and they said I can send it in to them, nobody in Nashville. If I can limp along this way, I will until I can spare the down time.  

Interestingly I can see why OWC are saying, "it may be the drive is trying to get power from the Apollo and since the Apollo does not have bus-powered FW ports, it never powers up. "

Because the same thing has happened to me with usb, sometimes it would be ok, other times you could hear the drive re-tracking and trying to spin up. So it would work some days others not.

Yours is weird as you Already have external power. But in the interest of possibly getting you a quick fix. I solved my (usb) problem with a external powered hub.  I do wonder if a firewire hub with external power might too help you, maybe if you can borrow one? If only to stop you limping, I know it's not much fun.

It's been working with the drive connected between the MBP and the Apollo. I don't want to introduce another device into the mix right now. If that changes, then I'll look into your idea. I appreciate the tip. I really think it's a compatibility issue with this model drive and the Apollo. I tested with another OWC FW drive with external power supply and it worked just fine through Apollo, but then this drive used to work also before it didn't.