Who's ready to go to Yosemite (OS 10.10)

Not me. In fact I haven't even upgraded my studio computer to Logic 10.0.7 or the latest version of Mavericks yet, because I am right in the middle of finishing mixes for my upcoming album and don't want to risk any problems with the projects being loaded or playing back differently.

Once the album is complete, I know I will be spending a lot of time applying belated software updates. :)

Not me. In fact I haven't even upgraded my studio computer to Logic 10.0.7 or the latest version of Mavericks yet, because I am right in the middle of finishing mixes for my upcoming album and don't want to risk any problems with the projects being loaded or playing back differently.

+1

As you can see from my signature I haven't even gone beyond 10.6.8 yet. I have the same concern and my system is very stable as is. I suppose if I upgrade to Logic X I will have no choice but to upgrade at least to Mavericks. I'm in no hurry.

PS. Not to mention that many programs that I own are non-compatible with newer OS versions.

I'm wondering if Yosemite will be offered as a free update as was the case with Mavericks. I think that will give a lot of Mac users incentive to keep up-to-date, except those of us who are using Logic and other "pro apps". There are certain software and hardware products that have just recently been offered as compatible with 10.9+.

I can't imagine how long it will take for developers to once again upgrade all of their products for a new OS so soon. I'm just now getting ready to do a full system-wide Mavericks upgrade. And once I have all of the bugs ironed out, I don't plan on messing with any of it as long as it's stable. I admit though, I do like some of the new features in Yosemite's OS.

- xpander

I'm wondering if Yosemite will be offered as a free update as was the case with Mavericks. I think that will give a lot of Mac users incentive to keep up-to-date, except those of us who are using Logic and other "pro apps". There are certain software and hardware products that have just recently been offered as compatible with 10.9+.

I can't imagine how long it will take for developers to once again upgrade all of their products for a new OS so soon. I'm just now getting ready to do a full system-wide Mavericks upgrade. And once I have all of the bugs ironed out, I don't plan on messing with any of it as long as it's stable. I admit though, I do like some of the new features in Yosemite's OS.

- xpander

YES it will be FREE and you can go online and sign up to become a Beta Tester over the Summer if you want to have it now... I watched the entire WWDC 2014 address and the Developers seemed very happy will all the announcements. The things I'm happy about are now being able to Air-Drop from your "i" Mobile Devices and being able to make and except phone calls with Caller ID directly from your Mac. Also I'm still trying to wrap my brain around Mail. Mail Markup looks cool! You can directly draw on picts and add text bubbles within the Mail App itself and I'm still trying to understand how they will be able to send and receive emails with attachments up to 5GB. That means emailing large videos to both Mac to Mac users and to non Mac Server users... That's wild!

YES it will be FREE and you can go online and sign up to become a Beta Tester over the Summer if you want to have it now...

I loaded Yosemite yesterday. Unsurprisingly, there are issues to be worked out. People who want a clean, stable interface should wait at least until it is available for public beta testing sometime this summer, and in my view until the final version is released in the fall.

If you want to follow what's happening with the beta versions, there's a discussion, notwithstanding the confidentiality agreement, on reddit. At stackexchange, so far all attempts to discuss the current beta version have been voted down.

As you can see from my signature I haven't even gone beyond 10.6.8 yet. I have the same concern and my system is very stable as is. I suppose if I upgrade to Logic X I will have no choice but to upgrade at least to Mavericks. I'm in no hurry.

PS. Not to mention that many programs that I own are non-compatible with newer OS versions.

Understandable. As my signature indicates, I haven't been quite that reluctant to upgrade, but that's only been when there isn't mission-critical work in progress. And while I wouldn't go so far as to say that 10.0.6 is stable on my main system, after working with it so much in recent months, I at least feel that I know where the biggest potential problems are and how to avoid them. But I am looking forward to seeing how 10.0.7 runs once it is a little safer for me to do so.

I have installed 10.0.7 and the latest Mavericks update on my laptop, but with every spare hour going into mixing sessions in my studio, I haven't had time to fire it up on the laptop for more than a couple of minutes yet. It seemed okay on the laptop with what little I tried on it, but I'm not taking any chances with the "big" system just yet.

From what I have seen people report so far, it looks like a hot mess, preview or not.

i love these comments. WHICH people? everyone? almost everyone? 5 people? 10?

remember, too, that forums like this are for people who WANT to discuss, argue, complain (and ask for help of course).

the MAJORITY of people live in the real world, they don't Iive on mac forums, etc. 8)

I loaded Yosemite yesterday. Unsurprisingly, there are issues to be worked out.

Rorick, how does Logic X run on Yosemite?

Programmes, including Logic, seem to be running fine. The problems are more irritating than significant, and not numerous. Safari is a bit slow (and was crash prone initially, although not now for some reason), a Microsoft USB mouse won't work properly, that kind of thing. I would expect the next build to correct the more obvious problems.

I don't understand this urge to always push out new OS all the time, and seemingly at an ever growing pace?

Why not simply make the one that is already there perfectly stable or at least try?

Most users don't really care about new fancy stuff coming out, especially from an OS!

In fact, most even dread the new OS coming!

Especially at the cost it always involve. Even when it is free to obtain, there is cost to upgrade the other softwares (the ones that we really care about), and that is when you can(!), the time it cost to get acquainted with the changes, the time spent to update the drivers and maintain the usability of the hardware they serves, etc... There are a lot of cost involved, and for what?

Really, I am not against improvement, far from that! And I am very well aware that imply having occasionalnew OS(es).

But at the current rythm, it seems increasingly obvious that those are pushed on the market for marketting strategy and don't really serve the end customer after all.

Atlas007,

The purpose of Yosemite is to change the graphic design of the interface, more closely integrate the desktop/laptop operating system and the mobile operating system, and add functionality.

I have had no difficulty going from Mavericks to Yosemite. Apart from the bugs that come with being a beta user, it has been seamless. What I'm mostly seeing, apart from improved OS X/iOS integration (including graphic design), is added features. I welcome them, but those who don't are free to ignore them.

The idea that Apple is increasing the pace of major updates is factually incorrect. For the last several years, it has been releasing major updates to OS X and iOS about once per year. The idea that "most users" don't want these updates is belied by the very high adoption rates on release.

Edited by rorick

I don't understand this urge to always push out new OS all the time, and seemingly at an ever growing pace?

Why not simply make the one that is already there perfectly stable or at least try?

Most users don't really care about new fancy stuff coming out, especially from an OS!

In fact, most even dread the new OS coming!

Especially at the cost it always involve. Even when it is free to obtain, there is cost to upgrade the other softwares (the ones that we really care about), and that is when you can(!), the time it cost to get acquainted with the changes, the time spent to update the drivers and maintain the usability of the hardware they serves, etc... There are a lot of cost involved, and for what?

Really, I am not against improvement, far from that! And I am very well aware that imply having occasionalnew OS(es).

But at the current rythm, it seems increasingly obvious that those are pushed on the market for marketting strategy and don't really serve the end customer after all.

+1

What we are seeing, and will continue to see, is more integration of OS X and iOS.

Personally, I could couldn't care less about this fact. I don't even own any devices with iOS and have no desire to. My only concern is how well my Macs function for my work. When I leave home, I leave the internet behind me.

What we are seeing, and will continue to see, is more integration of OS X and iOS.

Personally, I could couldn't care less about this fact. I don't even own any devices with iOS and have no desire to. My only concern is how well my Macs function for my work. When I leave home, I leave the internet behind me.

Believe it or not, you are not Apple's only customer ;)

If you don't want to use Yosemite, then don't load it. If you want to use it, but don't want to use its new features, then don't use them.

It's really quite simple.

Edited by rorick

Rorick, how does Logic X run on Yosemite?

Programmes, including Logic, seem to be running fine. The problems are more irritating than significant, and not numerous. Safari is a bit slow (and was crash prone initially, although not now for some reason), a Microsoft USB mouse won't work properly, that kind of thing. I would expect the next build to correct the more obvious problems.

Further on this, other people are also reporting that Logic is running fine

However, note that the current beta does not support Final Cut Pro.

it's great that software, hardware...keeps evolving. easy enough to NOT update, or keep the same mac. or whatever. but change is GOOD; new tools, new options. better speed. better STABILITY. personally, i love seeing new OS's, apps, updates etc...

Me too, but I kind of get frustrated when keeping up makes me spend more and more time for computer/hardware/software management than using it for the purpose these are made for. It's like I become more at the service of the machine than the reverse...

it's great that software, hardware...keeps evolving. easy enough to NOT update, or keep the same mac. or whatever. but change is GOOD; new tools, new options. better speed. better STABILITY. personally, i love seeing new OS's, apps, updates etc...

Me too, but I kind of get frustrated when keeping up makes me spend more and more time for computer/hardware/software management than using it for the purpose these are made for. It's like I become more at the service of the machine than the reverse...

i dunno, most of my experience (since 10.2) has been fine; some issues, but also...lots of fun new stuff too. overall, i keep updating everything, AND i keep working.

anyway, not for everyone, and no harm in being cautious. i just like to dive in head first...then see how the water is... :mrgreen:

Programmes, including Logic, seem to be running fine. The problems are more irritating than significant, and not numerous. Further on this, other people are also reporting that Logic is running fine.

Great, thank you for the report. :D