Dedicated DAC vs Audio Interface

Which Computer? Hard drive? Audio interface? Mic? Preamp? 3rd party plug-in? + Production techniques

Dedicated DAC vs Audio Interface

Postby charlievb » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:36 am

Hey guys, I would appreciate some advice.

My setup: Macbook Pro 15'' 2011, Shure SRH 840s

My requirements: To mix music in Logic pro, using only my Shure headphones

My budget: £150 max; ideally £100

My Question: Are dedicated (USB/FW) DACs better than (USB/FW) Audio interfaces for my requirements?

_____________________________________-

So although I currently only mix, I may in the future like to have the flexibility to record some tracks. If both dedicated DACs and Audio Interfaces provide the same quality of audio output then there is no reason for me not to take advantage of the Audio Interface's additional features (i.e. its ability to act as audio input).

As a comparison example; would the audio quality from the FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 2I2 be better than the FiiO E9i?
charlievb

Re: Dedicated DAC vs Audio Interface

Postby triplets » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:08 am

For your budget you can only get an interface, which is also a DAC.
Get the Scarlett, much better than the FiiO.
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
ProTools 10 & 11 Certified User
2x2.26 Intel Quad-Core 6GB RAM, Logic 9.1.8, 10.6.8, Logic 10.0.7, ML 10.8.5., Motu Ultralite
http://www.ultimatestudiosinc.com
triplets

Postby David Nahmani » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:23 am

An interface is something that connects your computer to external devices. In your budget most audio interfaces include ADC, DAC, clock, usually mic/instrument preamps, headphone amps, sometimes even mic (Apogee one). In commercial recording facility budgets many interfaces don't include any of those features, so they use an interface, a DAC, an ADC, a clock, multiple mic preamps, multiple instrument preamps, multiple headphone amps, multiple microphones etc...

I don't know of any dedicated DAC in your budget, and if it's USB/FW then it's an interface (or a DAC with an interface card, which is the same thing as an interface with a DAC included).

Note that you already have a built-in audio interface on your Mac. I just had a quick look at the FiiO E9i and it doesn't seem to bring anything more than what you already have. The Focusrite on the other hand gives you mic preamps - but apparently you don't need them:

Plug your Shure headphones into your Mac's headphone output. Done. You'll probably get better results than by using any £100 device.
David Nahmani
 Apple Certified Logic Pro Master Trainer
Author of Logic Pro X - Professional Music Production (Apple Pro Training Series)
Logic Pro X 10.0.6 - Mac OS 10.8.4 - Mac Pro 8 core 2.8 GHz Intel Xeon - 6GB RAM - Metric Halo ULN2
David Nahmani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Eric Cardenas » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:45 am

David wrote:
Plug your Shure headphones into your Mac's headphone output. Done. You'll probably get better results than by using any £100 device.

I totally agree.
You won't gain anything with a £100 device and you won't have to deal with flaky drivers.
Take the money and by some nice plug-ins or save it to add a decent interface or monitors instead.
Eric Bradley Cardenas
EC Making Sound
Mac mini 2.6 GHz 16GB RAM Areca⚡RAID | MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz 16GB RAM | Os 10.10
Logic Pro 10.0.7/9.1.8 | RME Fireface UFX | Adam A7 + Sub8 | Spectrasonics | Softube
Eric Cardenas

Postby iMacCartney » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:58 pm

charlievb wrote:Hey guys, I would appreciate some advice.

My setup: Macbook Pro 15'' 2011, Shure SRH 840s

My budget: £150 max; ideally £100

My Question: Are dedicated (USB/FW) DACs better than (USB/FW) Audio interfaces for my requirements?

_____________________________________-

So although I currently only mix, I may in the future like to have the flexibility to record some tracks. If both dedicated DACs and Audio Interfaces provide the same quality of audio output then there is no reason for me not to take advantage of the Audio Interface's additional features (i.e. its ability to act as audio input).

As a comparison example; would the audio quality from the FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 2I2 be better than the FiiO E9i?

OT. I really like those Shure SRH 840 headphones. Revealing and matches nicely with my Genelec 1031.
https://soundcloud.com/splproject

Mac Pro 2.66 GHz 12-core, OSX 10.95, Logic Pro Studio 9.1.8, Logic Pro X 10.0.7, Duet, GA Project Pre-73MK2, Kel HM-7U/3C, Genelec 1031A, Shure SRH 840, AKG K-240
iMacCartney

Postby charlievb » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:54 pm

@Dave @EricBradley thanks for your advice. I really appreciate the honest and direct feedback. Dave i recognise you. I used to have an account on here a few years ago, and was more of a silent observer, as i tried to dabble in logic pro; but even my occasional messages were usually responded to by yourself. So thanks again.

@iMacCartney I am super happy with my Shure SRH 840s. They look a but stupid on my head, but I sold a pair of Bose QC3s and bought these following strong advice from audiofile friends of mine. At half the price, I get a lot better audio quality.
charlievb

Postby Eric Cardenas » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:03 pm

You're welcome Charlie.
Eric Bradley Cardenas
EC Making Sound
Logic Pro 10.0.7/9.1.8 | RME Fireface UFX | Adam A7 + Sub8 | Spectrasonics | Softube
Eric Cardenas

Postby Rev. Juda$ Sleaze » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:58 pm

David wrote:Plug your Shure headphones into your Mac's headphone output. Done. You'll probably get better results than by using any £100 device.

Just to add a little note to that; make sure in Audio/Midi setup (in the folder Applications>Utilities) has your internal sound set to 24bit, as they seem to default to 16bit.
Zappa is not dead, he just smells funny.

LS8.0.2, OS 10.6.8, iMac 3.06GHz dual, 12GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Rev. Juda$ Sleaze

Postby Eric Cardenas » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:16 pm

Rev. Juda$ Sleaze wrote:
David wrote:Plug your Shure headphones into your Mac's headphone output. Done. You'll probably get better results than by using any £100 device.

Just to add a little note to that; make sure in Audio/Midi setup (in the folder Applications>Utilities) has your internal sound set to 24bit, as they seem to default to 16bit.

Yes, very important!
Great point Rev. :D
Eric Bradley Cardenas
EC Making Sound
Eric Cardenas

Return to Music Production Techniques and Gear