upgrading to SSD queries

how much of a improvement will i see from upgrading my 7200 hd to an ssd, and perhaps putting the hdd in the optical bay?

i dont really use the optical bay so this seems reasonable to me. at the moment i stream some samples from an external fw drive, i have some on the hdd, and im recording audio tracks to the fw. my projects are generally not that large. my setup works ok, but stumbles occasionally, and i often get artefacts when using guitar rig 4. i suppose this is down the the cpu struggling.

the thing is... im basically set on following this course of action if i keep this machine, although im considering an upgrade to a new machine altogether. so im trying to weigh up the two. new mbp 13, or this ssd upgrade to my present system. one is obviously much cheaper than the other. of course, im limited to SATA II in my 2009 mbp, and i understand there are sometimes issues with even this when people have upgraded to an SSD.

if i did the ssd route, id probably go 128gb and put system and samples on it, (assuming they all fit - it might be a squeeze) then use the 320gb hdd in the optical bay for recording projects to. does this sound sensible? would this negate the need for the external fw that i currently have to use, or am i asking too much?!