mainstage live production question

janeenurs

hello

I'm rehearsing for some live performances - using mainstage to run rhythm tracks, and put vocals and keyboards through it too - which I add fx to during the tracks.

I'm trying to work out the best way to manage this for a house sound engineer - what advice would people give re: either

A. putting all the backing through Mainstage - pan left or right to have that on one output and vocals straight to desk, forgo the fx but get hopefully a good volume mix of the vocal and track and give the sound engineer something to manage/he may be able to add some reverb to vox etc.

OR

B. put the backing and vocals through Mainstage and feed to the desk on separate outputs - add fx in Mainstage but let the sound engineer manage volume. I think that is possible - two outputs from Mainstage??

And do people compress or EQ voc's in Mainstage for live performing?? Or just add reverb/echo etc.

Any advice very welcome!

Thanks in advance.

p.s. The backtracks are heavy, the vocals not so therefore volume mix will be key.

Well,

Not to show off....but...you might want to check out MY setup is...

Your Questions:

Long and short is that MS will physically output as many outputs as you need, it is entirely dependant on the capabilities of your sound card.

Sending "DRY" stuff to the mixing engineer....okay, but WHY rely on HIS artistic decisions? Is he a guy that works with your band, knows the material, and knows what you like? = Great, than do that.

If it is a different sound guy every time you play, send him the wet mixes, make it simple, and let him handle levels only.

You are on the right track by seperating music from vocals. This allows him to get a better balance of vocals : program.

And if you know how to use a compressor for vocals, ABSOLUTELY compress it before it hits the mixing board.

If you are NEW to compression, that can be risky because in live sound feedback is always the issue on vocals.

If you don't understand compression properly, you're getting feedback from the monitors, there is NOTHING the sound man can do to help you. So in that case, sending him your dry vocals, and letting HIM handle that, is a better choice.

Treatment

Hello,

Quick reply to say thank you very much for your reply! I will look at it iin more depth later. But this helps - I'd sort of got myself to what you're saying too re: house sound engineers. Re: compression, I do know basics of compression and use it to produce in Logic, I'm guessing that would be adequate? If not I could send the vocals with effects but no compression for the sound man to compress if needs be??

Thank you again

Yes this makes sense.

I would have a compresser plug loaded up on the vocal channel strip, and BYPASSED.

Then, it's there if you need it.

In fact, I would use 2 compressors: Pre FX and Post FX. and all of the BYPASSED, and pre set.

Outside of a "Easy Listening" jazz event, I cannot think of ANY situation where compression on vocals is not needed.

In the live venue, there is just too much competition from the PROGRAM material for something as dynamic as a vocal to compete with.

Treatment