Sostenuto to Sustain

billunatic

I cannot seem to get MS3 to send a sostenuto (cc66) pedal input and reroute it to sustain (cc64). When I do the assignment and routing I get the sound to sustain when I press the pedal, but when I release the pedal the sound does not stop. The visual feedback I get in the workspace shows the correct action of the pedal. The only way to stop the sound from sustaining is to click the corresponding screen control.

This worked fine in MS 2.2.2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you're not alone in this. I believe this is a bug introduced in v3.

the pedal down gets mapped correctly, then there's no reason why this wouldn't work with the pedal up (which doesn't send a cc64 value 0 to the channel strips that need to see this value).

in fact, the more I write this, the more I'm sure it's a bug!

I setup an FCB1010 footcontroller (lots of switches and two pedals) and remap values to sustain. a cc63 -> cc64, and a cc62 -> cc64. indeed used to work correctly prior to v3. in the mapping method, we have the option to "send to all controller-x channel strips.... i'll have to look into the midi modifier plugin, and see if I can fire that off at concert level as default, without having to wire in a midi modifier at each channel strip, possibly per patch... that would be back...

again... behaviour is as you're also seeing it, NOT consistent. pedal down works, pedal up doesn't. there's nothing wrong with the input going in because I've checked it with the midi monitor... gotta be a bug!

yep, this is wrong.

this kind of mapping is supposed to work via mapping, with or without screen controls. that we can achieve the same within a single channel strip is the workaround, but that means adding one or two midi modifiers per channel strip that needs the remapping. that's a TON of stuff when layering and such.

again, good catch, I saw this happening too, it was only happening to me when I needed to use (faked) sustain pedal messages generated from the FCB1010 into MS where I'd remap to real cc64s on secondary controllers (I use 3).

I guess one of us has to put in the feature request at Apple to report the bug...

Thanks for replying! I thought I was the only one! Yes I use a Logidy pedal. It has three switches which I have programmed to send 64, 66, and 67. I have programmed many multi layered and split programs/sets. I use the different pedals for different functions. (i.e. sustain or patch switching, triggering notes or loops) In ver 2.2.2 this all worked!!!!! Not any longer!!!!

What's weird is I checked the virtual output of Mainstage with an input to Digital Performer and recorded the pedal events. It displays the pedal ons and offs!!!! The thing is the notes continue to sustain!!!!!

It does work with the midi modifier effect though.

Oh, that is weird (that you see the remapped input going correctly into DP), but I'm sure that's 100% proof.

What we need is a a 64-bit midi monitor AU that can be hosted within MS in Multi-timbral mode. *that* would be the same midi path that's going to our channel strips. Some other route, such as IAC or ReWire out, is going to get merged and what not before going out...

I'd have to reprogram the FCB, but I wonder if having each of the switches on discrete MIDI channels, if that's even possible, would help. Then there's the question of if MS is in v3 correctly handling its own selection of MIDI controller data that it automatically passes thru or not (affected by send to and or midi thru parameters on the layout page). I have these all set to off, but that could be the bug, a non-standard cc message getting tagged as such! and then not getting passed thru once it becomes one... On the other hand, you actually do use standard controller messages and convert to cc64, so there goes that idea...Next would be to take the screen control for the pedals off the layout page so that the midi mapping follows the route of remapping where there's no onscreen object to graphically represent...

Still, all workaround what for me absolutely is a bug... They broke this while fixing something else. I might have to "give up" and start throwing midi modifier plug-ins all over the place... Doesn't make me too happy. I've been a MS user since day 1... There are a lot of concert files with this layout in it.... Oh well!

This was on my list of things to look into. Was only showing up in patches/channel strips where I was solo'ed (intros to sings and such), but not playing live right now.

Will dive into it the next couple of days - for sure...

• 2 weeks later...

yep... the 2nd pedal input (pedal up) is not hitting the channel strip. The scripter let's me see the remapped pedal message coming in with a value of 127, but not the pedal down with a value of 0.

In my case, but I still need to get into this further, the modifier midi plug in won't work as is. Why? instead of using sostenuto messages, I chose CC #63 for one pedal, and CC# 62 for another, the main one being CC# 64 (which of course doesn't need any remapping). When I use the modifier midi plug in, CC#s 62 and 63 are not in the list, but there's a learn function, which also isn't picking up any input at all.

I've got to go in and reprogram the CC#s being sent in the FCB1010 in order to test this further, still a bug though...

• 1 month later...

A little more info.

I have three pedals coming in from a Logidy UMI3 box. They are coming in on midi ch1. The three pedals are assigned to cc64 cc66 and cc67. In my patch I am assigning (remapping) cc66 to cc64. the other pedals are blocked and not passing any info thru. When I send the cc info to an external midi instrument on ch1 thru an IAC Bus all is well. The problem occurs when I change the external instrument to any other channel. The instrument gets the sustain command but does not get the message to stop sustaining and sustains indefinitely. When I look at the midi monitor within MainStage this is what I see

Time Port Channel Message Value

(time) Logidy UMI3 Channel 1 Control Change: 66 (sostenuto) 127

(time) Bus 1 Channel 11 Control Change: 64 (sustain) 0

(time) Logidy UMI3 Channel 1 Control Change: 66 (sostenuto) 127

(time) Bus 1 Channel 1 Control Change: 64 (sustain) 0

The External midi does not get a zero value on the correct midi channel.

This only happens with when the input cc is redirected to cc64.