Crackle when playing keys in mainstage 2

rcbrock

Hello all

I hope you can help me with this as it is seriously impeding my live play (which I specifically bought this rig for).

I run Mainstage 2 (Logic Pro 8 ) on a Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz with 4 GB of ram. I run my Roland RD 170 digital piano through an ESI MIDI-mate II into my MBP. I have had this problem with the onboard soundcard but also with my Duet.

Whenever I play 'loudly' or many notes at a time I get an annoying crackle. It sounds a little like the gain is maybe too high but I've set all the volume sliders to either 0 or -6 and it's still there. I've also checked the gain on the virtual instruments.

I really don't know what to do. I can't imagine it's my rather cheap MIDI-interface as there's no audio involved at that point and it shouldn't overload even at the maximum velocity. Also it can't be my soundcard as I've also had the problem with my Duet. Memory and CPU readings never come above around 30 %

I hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks

• 6 months later...

Checking your keystrip gain on all busses was right. You could still be hitting an input or buss too hard. The keyboard velocity might be too hot causing the same thing.

I was playing medium to medium hard and getting velocities readings in the 110-120's which put every note at pretty much max volume. If you play dense passages, your meters will be very hot = overload crackle. Adjust the velocity scaling to fix it.

If adjusting I/O buffers gets the same result, I would suspect the above.