Side Chain Compression: using a midi channel to trigger?

lukek

I'm mixing a band now and I want to get the bass guitar tight with the kick drum using side chain compression.

The problem is I'm using an inst. track with the EXS24 triggering my kick sample. So when bringing up the side chain input option menu (in the compressor on the bass track) it only comes up with the audio channels in the session.

It seems weird to me, I've got the drum inst. tracks going to a bus and that comes up as an option.

Is the only way round it: sending the kick inst. to a dedicated bus and using that as the S/C trigger or is there a way to trigger from the midi track!?!?

Yes, using a Bus is quick and efficient. Using the raw MIDI note would be useless as it has no idea of the actual sound and length of the resulting audio.

Christian

Thanks Christian.

It just seems weird to me because once it has gone through the sampler it has an audio signal that could trigger S/Cs. so why not allow inst. tracks to trigger.