Mac Mini for Mainstage 2

liveintokyo

I am thinking of buying my first Mac Mini to power a rig using Mainstage 2(I am planning on using an old Roland JV1010 as a backup in case of system crashes). Just wondering if anybody else has tried this?

I have been running with my Macbook (2.16GHz Intel, 2GB Ram, 160GB Hard drive) but it seems to glitch out every now and again. I am planning on getting the 2.53GHz, 4 GB Ram, 32GB Hard drive Mac Mini in an effort to avoid these dropouts.

If anybody has any advice/experience with this it would be greatly appreciated - I was thinking of keeping the Mac-mini as a music only machine (i.e. no internet access and nothing other than my music soft) to try and ensure it stays as clean/safe/reliable as it possibly can be.

I am thinking of buying my first Mac Mini to power a rig using Mainstage 2(I am planning on using an old Roland JV1010 as a backup in case of system crashes). Just wondering if anybody else has tried this?

I have been running with my Macbook (2.16GHz Intel, 2GB Ram, 160GB Hard drive) but it seems to glitch out every now and again. I am planning on getting the 2.53GHz, 4 GB Ram, 32GB Hard drive Mac Mini in an effort to avoid these dropouts.

If anybody has any advice/experience with this it would be greatly appreciated - I was thinking of keeping the Mac-mini as a music only machine (i.e. no internet access and nothing other than my music soft) to try and ensure it stays as clean/safe/reliable as it possibly can be.

32GB kinda small. u must mean 320 gb hard drive

If I was you i'd get as fast a drive (7200 RPM ) and as much ram as possible.

I use the built in audio on my macbookpro and just run a cable straight to the desk. something less to go wrong. mines a 2.33ghz unit and runs sweet with mainstage I even have a few instances of Kontakt running

• 2 weeks later...
I got my Mac Mini a couple of days ago (with 2.53 GHZ, 4G Ram, and 320G Harddrive). Used it on a gig for the first time last night, and everything went perfectly. Now I just need to be able to assign patch changes with my M Audio keyboard - needed to use the computer keyboard and it was a bit cumbersome.

I got my Mac Mini a couple of days ago (with 2.53 GHZ, 4G Ram, and 320G Harddrive). Used it on a gig for the first time last night, and everything went perfectly. Now I just need to be able to assign patch changes with my M Audio keyboard - needed to use the computer keyboard and it was a bit cumbersome.

Well done. I have a keystation pro 88 and I just use the arrow keys on my macbookpro to change patches I found I couldn't figure the patch / button allocations, it just didn't seem to work for me, then again I didn't try that hard . If it doesn't work easily i tend to not be interested. I'm a bit simple like that. I'm more into the music.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm curious as to how you carry and set up Mac Mini for live performance. Do you have it in a case, or rack? Or do you simply put it near your instruments?

Also, do you carry a monitor, keyboard, etc? Or do you work without them?

I'm working on a rack setup, but there are some problems that I am yet to figure out.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mano