One constant assignment, despite patch change?

woodenboy

Hi everyone

Just getting used to Mainstage, which I'm setting up for a live performance. I'm setting it up for 3 keyboard players but only have two computers. One keyboardist is making up for the lack of a bassist, so only needs one sound.

So...

Is it possible to set up one instance of Mainstage that has a bass sound set up that responds only to the midi channel from one of the two keyboards, and doesn't change despite patch changes? Or do I have to set up the bass sound for every single patch?

I hope this makes sense!!!

You REALLY need to take time and go thru the little manual with all the TRY THIS exercises.

You can actually set up one keyboard to have something like 14 split point with 14 separate sounds. Each point can float up or down the keyboard. In your case, you will need to set up each keyboard controller for a different midi number. Likewise, you will need to assign the channel strip to that specific midi number.

My problem was getting two midi sources (Keyboards) into Main stage with only one midi input. I ended up getting the Midisport 2 channel box because latter on I may end up with USB/midi keyboards.

Your CONCERT LEVEL should be used for the common things like a permanent AUX channel with reverb (or other effect). Same thing with the SET level. Your Layout section is for setting up your screen and controllers, the Edit section is for the Mapping.

Don't know if this helps or makes any sense , but ask away in little steps. Main stage kicks ass (when it works right).

:lol:

Thanks shivermetimbers... I've speed-read the manual and learned how to use the split and floating point settings... the problem is that I'm trying to set this up for two people playing two keyboard controllers... so I want the sounds to overlap in terms of keyboard zones, but for one of those keyboards to always use the same sound.

I'm thinking that's not going to be possible... and will have to set up a channel strip for that sound in every patch in the concert.... but I'm worried about dropouts during patch changes :?

Well, let's back up. I understand you are in a hurry, but it is important to take your time and understand the foundation of Mainstage and I guarantee you the skies will part and you will be enlightened to the mysteries of the Universe.

Not even the great and powerful Wizard of Oz will be able to help you beyond the infinite knowledge you will have gained by taking your time at this stage.

http://images.replacements.com/images/images5/china/C/hamilton_collection_wizard_of_oz_commemorative_no_box_P0000014152S0004T2.jpg

You have two computers and one will be used for?

How many keyboard sounds will you need per patch/song?

So for the two keyboards, there are a few ways to do this.

It would be most helpful if you could describe what you want based on one song. <-------- :wink:

A more direct and suitable answer can be given.

For example, lets say you are playing a piano part and the other guy is playing horns. We won't worry about the other computer and its parts.

So you have channel strip #1 in the patch set up for piano and midi assigned to your controller (midi 1). The other guy has channel strip #2 in the same patch set up for horns and midi assigned to his/her controller (midi 2). This set up can include the use of sustain pedals, effect controllers, Patch changes, ... etc.

That's the basic way. From there, you can layer/split/float, or assign more channel strips for each of you and mute/unmute all in the same patch. Try to think it out and reuse as much as you can to eliminate tons of patch changes and programming because it can get ridiculous with all the possibilities.

8)

I'm late to this thread and just skimmed it, so if I missed the answer, sorry...

But,

Put your bass channel strip at the set level - it will work for all patches in that set. (You can put it at the concert level as well.)

I've done this at the set level, and you can see its zone along with any other channel strips assigned to the same keyboard at the patch level - very easy to edit.