Selecting a patch in Mainstage via MIDI

bscenefilms

I have a Roland GI-20 / GK-3 MIDI guitar. On the guitar is a patch UP and patch DOWN button. So, to test this out I open Mainstage 2, select the 1st default keyboard template. Then in edit mode I click on the UP patch button. I click LEARN and press the patch up button on the guitar. Mainstage now learns this message for that button like so:

http://www.b-scenefilms.com/ms1.png

And as you can see it assigned the value of 100.

So I do the same for the patch DOWN button and then I have this:

http://www.b-scenefilms.com/ms1.png

Same exact value...

So if I look at what the synth guitar is sending with a MIDI data sniffer I see this:

http://www.b-scenefilms.com/midicap.png

Clearly two separate values. And if I test MainStage after learning the two buttons, indeed, if I press on button on the guitar, both of the buttons activate in Mainstage.

Can anyone shed some light?

TIA!

However...

Can anyone shed some light?

The guitar sends multiple MIDI events per button press. That is not good, only very few applications can deal with it and it so rare, that MainStage doesn't actively support it either.

Please run MIDI Monitor and press both buttons and check what the Guitar sends. You might be able to adjust MainStage to deal with the buttons in the way you like it.

Please run MIDI Monitor and press both buttons and check what the Guitar sends. You might be able to adjust MainStage to deal with the buttons in the way you like it.

That is a MIDI Mon screen capture above. The guitar is sending 00 and 30 for the respective buttons. Now that IS a filtered display. I did a capture of only the control change message for channel 2.

How might I adjust MainStage to to deal with the buttons? Can I manually put the control change values in so that MainStage uses just those?

How might I adjust MainStage to to deal with the buttons? Can I manually put the control change values in so that MainStage uses just those?

The guitar sends Program Change on a press of a button. OK, MainStage doesn't allow to learn Program Change to any screen control, it _always_ executes the program change (like any hardware synth), if you don't disable it at the concert level.