Question for keyboard players using laptop for live gigs.

phpdiva

What is your solution to having the keyboard and laptop on stage? I got a pair of extension arms for my X-stand, similar to these: http://www.djgoldmine.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=210&P_ID=1132

This seems to work OK for rehearsals, but the laptop would almost completely cover me in a live situation.

I have searched high and low, but I can't seem to find a better solution. Ideally, I would like to have the laptop within reach, but lower and off to the side somehow.

Thanks!

single/double tier stand for keyboards.

laptop slightly off to the side and slightly angled down on one of theeesssee

http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/54066_l.jpg

:)

just make sure its heavy duty and clamps tightly at all parts.

I also put a bit of pipe insulation between the laptop and the lip of the stand just to keep metal of metal incase it scratches.... i'm paranoid about scratching my lovely macbook.

but anyway, thats what i use. works a treat

I might just go ahead and do that myself! I had to have the laptop within short reach, since I had no other means of switching to next / previous patch. But I'm getting a MIDI foot controller, which should eliminate that problem.

Thanks for your replies!

I might just go ahead and do that myself! I had to have the laptop within short reach, since I had no other means of switching to next / previous patch. But I'm getting a MIDI foot controller, which should eliminate that problem.

Thanks for your replies!

Tech21 makes two very reasonable MIDI controllers that might be useful for this purpose.

I'm actually debating between Tech 21 MIDI Moose, Behringer FCB1010 and Apogee Gio. Apogee looks nice, but somehow I'm not convinced that it is worth the extra $$ for me. And I don't like the placement of previous/next patch buttons. Maybe OK for a guitar player, but not for a keyboard player.

I don't mind paying extra for something flexible though, that would not limit me in the future.

Behringer FCB1010 looks like it has the most potential, but I guess it has its own issues with not listening to MIDI signals sent back.

A 2 space SKB Studio Flyer on a height adjustable T stand does it for me. I can take it on fly dates too because it literally is the same size and wheelability as a small carry on. Smart fellers at SKB!!

Holds a Macbook Pro, Furman power conditioner, MOTU Ultralight, and in ear transmitter. I even had room for a DI secured in the back.

Plus the lock top adds some security for when your not on stage.

Good luck with your search.

Hey Hooch - your description of your setup sounds almost identical to mine. The SKB rack is very cool. But as asked above ... what do you mean by an adjustable T stand? Is that Quick Lok's T stand? I am too wondering what is the best thing to place the SKB rack on at a gig - without having to carry another large or heavy keyboard stand.

On Stage Stands WS8540. $80. When folded is a T shape but gives you esentially 4 table legs under a 19 inch rack. They weigh a bit due to steel construction but do fold up small enough. You won't get it through carry on though. You can just borrow an empty backline (guitar amp or kick) case when you get there.

Good luck

P.S when you get one, put locktite on all the small screws and glue the feet on better.

Their fit is not perfect and they do come off.

The basic stand is well constructed though and is the best and sturdiest thing I could find for the application short of custom build.

• 4 weeks later...