Mainstage 2 Locking up.

JETLAG

Mainstage locks up on me alot on my MacPro I can't even force quit i just have to turn off my cpu.. but doesn't seem to do it at all on my friends little macbook..

Sounds like a graphics card driver crash. Some people had the same issue with a MacBook and an upgrade to 10.6.2 fixed their problem.

Mainstage locks up on me alot on my MacPro I can't even force quit i just have to turn off my cpu.. but doesn't seem to do it at all on my friends little macbook..

you could always create a new "clean" user and run it from there and see how it goes it eliminates some possible software issues. I have had v little in the way of software issues. you may also like to open a new concert and just load a single sound and see if this runs fine then work up from there it could be related to a plugin or the number of patches you are loading. I try to keep thngs as clean as possible and if i dont need it in a concert i dont load it. The less complexity the less likely something with trip it up is my idea.

Hi,

I seem to have a very similar problem. On my MacBook the concerts I have work just fine. But when I copy these concerts to my MacPro, where I want to edit them, my MacPro locks up after a while. It still produces sound and I can move the mouse cursor but I can´t hit any button or quit Mainstage or any other program. I have to hit the power button in order to restart the machine.

It seems as this does not happen with concerts I just use on my MacPro. As soon as I copy concert files to my MacBook, use them their, and copy them back to my MacPro, the MacPro locks up.

Why in the world do I copy them between the machines? well I like to edit the patches and sounds in the studio, just copy the concert file to the MacBook and go on stage. I have done that for nearly one year. But recently I made a clean install of my MacBook with Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and it seems as since than this happen. The MacPro also is running 10.6.2 and both machines are running MS 2.0.1

So if it is a graphics driver problem how can I fix it?

best regards

myand

So is it still doing it with Snow Leopard installed? Or you still having the same issues I couldn't understand what you were saying about the last part.. I'm very frustrated with this problem.. Its unacceptable. haha its nice to know i'm not alone..

Of all the programs that lock up TERRIBLE its the freaking program you use ON STAGE.

Hi,

I have the problem on Snow Leopard 10.6.2 right.

The concert files only crashed the MacPro when I used the concert file on the MacBook. Did I use a concert that was created on the MacPro (and where used only by the MacPro) the machine did not crash.

But since a few days it seems to be alright. I used different Yamaha MIDI drivers on both machines...maybe that was it. Lets see. But somehow it is not a good feeling a simple midi driver can crash your whole system....

Of course it is really annoying when programs crash, or the system crashes. But I have to say I used Mainstage 1 and 2 for one year now on stage with more than 50 gigs with in front of at least 1000 people. on stage it never let me down so far. I tried out a lot at home in the studio, and checked out what Mainstage can handle and what not. So I know where the limit is for my system on stage.

But still, if the problem of interchanging the Concert files between my two computers will maintain, I am really pissed. As I tried to explain, I program the Patches, Sound and concerts for Mainstage at home on my MacPro at home, and then go on stage with my MacBook. That was a really simple way to edit the sounds without carrying my live setup into the studio for editing sounds.

best regards

myand

okay forget what I just wrote. It just happened again. I opened a concert I used on my MacBook on the MacPro. After maybe 3-4 minutes it crashes. As I said before, I can move the Mouse cursor and more astonishing I can access the MacPro via Network. Meaning, access files. But I can not run screen sharing. It will just give me the status bar of connecting to the MacPro but it won´t connect.

So is this a graphics issue than ?

best regards

myand

this seems like such a huge issue why aren't more people talking about it on here?

I think it is probably related to the graphic card you have in your MacPro and that card doesn't seem to be that common. I also expect WAY more MacBook (Pro) and MacMini user with MainStage (these machines are more portable for performing), which would explain this.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

This is serious.

I just did a clean install of Mac OSX 10.6.2 on the MacPro installed only Logic 9.1 and Mainstage 2.1

Than I copied the concert from the MacBook to the MacPro....I open the concert on the MacPro and after a short time....Boom..... the MacPro freezes! I get not hang or crash report, cause the graphics is forzen and I have to hit the power button of the machine.

It also happens when I use the built in Audiointerface of the MacPro....I am in contact with Apple about that, but they cannot reproduce the problem.

But hey, I made a clean install....nothing on the system besides the Logic Studio. Wheres the problem? I just don´t get it. Everything works fine on my MacPro, I produce and record songs with ease. But Mainstage is the only app that freezes. So I definitely can exclude a hardware defect (RAM or so)

It seems as if it does not happen on 10.6.1 but that´s useless as I want to use the 64 bit mode of Logic and Mainstage.....

best regards

myand

I have the standard graphics card in my MacPro that came with it

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

I have a different card (non-standard), but a couple of buddies have a MacPro in standard configuration. Never heard of this issue. I remember this kind of graphic-driver crash on a MacBook with 10.6, but this was fixed with 10.6.2.

Really weird situation. Any chance you can boot/install 10.6.0 on an external drive and see if that fixes it?