Possible to assign keystrokes to onscreen buttons/switches e

Maddcow

Guys, as per the topic name, is it possible to assign keystrokes to onscreen buttons/switches etc in order to toggle them via mouse OR keyboard? I'm using MS2 for live gigs and sometimes it's tricky to get the cursor into the right position quickly and would be a lot easier to be able to trigger button/switch functions via preconfigured keystroke.

I can't find anything in the help files and yet I'd assumed this would be a stock feature.

Cheers

There are key command assignments in the command editor, but most are for building out the screen controls, not operating them. There are some action commands that could help, but I doubt that's what you need.

Workaround suggestion: get a small controller and map it. Korg has some very small and relatively inexpensive items that might suit you.

Doug, thanks for the reply...you've confirmed what I thought re. the inability to map keystrokes to screen controls. I've already got a couple of controllers (the Novation Remote Zero SL and the Remote 37 SL) but I don't use them at every gig as I've already got enough crap to carry! (hence looking to use keystrokes instead of a controller)

That's ok, I'll be right with the mouse for now. However, I think I'll give some feedback to Apple about adding keystroke > screen controls functionality...I just can't see that I'd be the only person who's interested in something like this.

I hear you about hauling around the crap......

Good for you to pester Apple. When you look at the significant improvements from version one to two, you have to think the program will only get a notch better (albeit perhaps not for another 18 months or so...) and good ideas will be incorporated into a new version. May yours be one of them.

You can use the Musical Typing keyboard to effect changes. You need to assign them manually because you can't enable the Musical Typing keyboard during Layout Mode so you can't "learn" them.
Mmmm, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. I'll give you an example of what I want and perhaps you could let me know if it's possible.

Example: I have several onscreen buttons that selectively unmute a specific channel strip and mute others. I'd like to be able to assign numeric keys (e.g. "1", "2", "3" etc) to these onscreen buttons so that I can simply hit a key instead of having to use the mouse/cursor and mouse-click to activate the buttons. Is this possible with what you're suggesting re. the Musical Typing Keyboard? And if so, how would I go about setting this up?

The Musical Typing window (command-K) is just another way to assert MIDI commands.

So assuming you can do what you want with a midi device, then you can do that with the Musical Typing window using your computer keyboard instead of a real midi device. You set it up just like any other midi device. The only issue is you can't use the learn mechanism in Layout mode so you need to assign your commands manually.