Mainstage running on a headless Mac mini

dbudde

Are any of you Mainstage users that are using a Mac mini running headless (i.e., no display or keyboard or mouse)? If so how did you resolve the display memory issue. The problem is Mainstage tries to detect the type of display you are using and allocate video RAM accordingly. No monitor - no video RAM and it just doesn't work.

I solved this problem by using a display port to VGA adapter with some 100 Ohm resistors terminating the analog signals. So it thinks there is a VGA display attached. But this is a kludge and I'd like a solution that doesn't require this stupid display dongle.

I am running headless with an Apogee GIO as a controller and my iphone running Jaadu VNC for non-realtime setup and control of the mini. The mini boots and creates a wireless computer-to-computer network so I can VNC into it from the iphone. This whole system works really well except for the headless display memory issue.

Dbudde,

Your solution is very smart, given the circumstances. I am willing to do the same but haven't got that far. The only solution I have for you would entail NOT using Mainstage, but only Logic.

With this app called OnStage (www.fluqe.com), you can open a logic file, with as many channels and effects as you need, at the touch of a program up/down button. It is very quick, and if you have a good floor board controller you can program the effects on/off much like what you do in Mainstage.

My assumption is that removing the video shared memory feature would require tweaking the code of the software, thus requiring Apple's attention to that.

I'd be curious as to how your setup works, if you can share more of that. I gave up my laptop for a Mac Mini but am yet to set it up for live performance.

Thanks.

Mano

Mano,

This issue is not a Mainstage problem alone. It is really an OS issue. Apple sells minis now as servers so it really ought to support a headless solution that doesn't require the use of some mucked up unsupported hardware attached to make it work.

By the way, the Logic installer won't install in a headless environment for the same reason mentioned. It finds 0MB of VRAM and requires 64MB. So I suspect that Logic will not work as you suggest. It seems to run OK, but I have not checked extensively that everything works.

Which part of my setup do you need more information? Its pretty simple really. The mini is setup to auto-login to an account setup for Mainstage and then launches Mainstage. It also runs a script to create a network. I have Mainstage preferences set to load the most recent concert in perform mode. When you boot the mini you can tell that it is ready to use when the GIO lights go from all green to something else.

I will likely eliminate the need to VNC into the mini because the GIO has these nice colored buttons that you can use to indicate where you are. I'm thinking I'll just change the color of the mute button for each patch I use so I know where it is. All the others do pretty much the same thing for each patch for my needs. But it may still be useful for unknown issues that may arise. Like having to dismiss a feedback alert that I forgot to del with when creating a preset. But for the most part, running headless is quite doable.

Thanks dbudde and mmm42.

Your setup seems very interesting, thanks for sharing that. I was going the same direction, but adding a floor board, to switch presets and toggle effects.

I was also interested in how you use the Mini live, do you have it in a rack or something? Or do you simply put it on a desk? My goal is to fit it to my Mini in a rack, but with a mechanism that would allow me to take it out when needed without major mechanical work. Therefore, the rig would always be ready for the road, but the shocks it may be subjected to while in transit are a worry for me.

Also, on the server topic: would that be a OS X server feature? (to not request VRAM)?

Thanks,

Mano.

Your setup seems very interesting, thanks for sharing that. I was going the same direction, but adding a floor board, to switch presets and toggle effects.

I was also interested in how you use the Mini live, do you have it in a rack or something?

Also, on the server topic: would that be a OS X server feature? (to not request VRAM)?

Thanks,

Mano.

The GIO is a floor board.

I just set the mini on top of my amp (AER compact 60).

I have the Mac mini server but use regular OS X 10.6.2.