using mainstage as a virtual pedalboard in my amps fx loop?

organsymphony

Right, so my new amp (blackstar ht5c) has an fx loop and seeing as it has no built in effects (not even reverb) i've been thinking about using logics pedalboard in mainstage as a virtual well... pedalboard :D

first off, is this a decent idea or will it not work very well?

i'll be doing this through a presonus firestudio project.

the only thing i'm not sure about is the levels the inputs and outputs should be at. i'm assuming it wants running into a line level input rather than instrument level one. the amp has a switch for +4dB/-10dB on the fx loop send, which one should i be on?

what sort of level should i be putting in to mainstage?

more importantly, what do i want the output level of mainstage going back to the fx loop return to be? i don't want to output too loud and damage the amp :S

will i have any problems when everything in mainstage is bypassed? it should theoretically just sound like the pure amp yes?

sorry for the wall of text but i'm a bit scared of buggering up my amp by getting levels wrong...

perhaps this is one for the control room?

Why not forget the FX loop and go Guitar -> Presonus-> Mainstage (pedalboard) -> out of Presonus and on to the amp?

you mean... theres a simple method?!?! *gasp* i really should have thought of that one :)

:roll:

thats probably a better idea than the fx loop. unless perhaps i took the line out of the amp into mainstage and fed that on a separate output to the desk. but i wanted to mic it up rather than line out.

anyway, i'm still a bit worried about knowing what level to put into the input of the amp out of mainstage, any ideas?

Start with everything at '0' and go from there.

Leave Mainstage output at unity or 0dB.

Your return control to the amp from mainstage (and after the presonus) can be set about 1/2 way and can be adjusted later.

Your send to main stage ( via presonus) will start at 0 and slowly turn it up and keep it clean.

I think somehow the firecontrol software comes into play, so keep that in mind.

All in all with the equipment involved, you would do better with a real pedalboard. That is, if you are using a midi controlled pedal board to control the mainstage FX. Your amp is basically acting as a PA system/personal monitor.

I would still go Guitar -> Presonus-> Mainstage -> Presonus out ->Amp (as monitor)-> F.O.H.

Personally, I love the AMP designer, but I think the pedalboard needs work.

So you need to sit down and experiment for a few days to see what works best.

In the end, no one will care about what you did or how you did it, as long as the end result is a good clean sound.

Start with everything at '0' and go from there.

Leave Mainstage output at unity or 0dB.

Your return control to the amp from mainstage (and after the presonus) can be set about 1/2 way and can be adjusted later.

Your send to main stage ( via presonus) will start at 0 and slowly turn it up and keep it clean.

I think somehow the firecontrol software comes into play, so keep that in mind.

thanks alot, helpful stuff :)

All in all with the equipment involved, you would do better with a real pedalboard. That is, if you are using a midi controlled pedal board to control the mainstage FX. Your amp is basically acting as a PA system/personal monitor.

i was basically trying to do it with stuff i already have instead of starting a hardware pedalboard from scratch, which i know will end up draining my money, same reason i'm scared to get a little modular synth :)

I would still go Guitar -> Presonus-> Mainstage -> Presonus out ->Amp (as monitor)-> F.O.H.

Personally, I love the AMP designer, but I think the pedalboard needs work.

So you need to sit down and experiment for a few days to see what works best.

In the end, no one will care about what you did or how you did it, as long as the end result is a good clean sound.

i think i'm just gonna leave it, it doesnt seem like the best idea, i just wondered if anyone was doing this with good success at getting some great tones.

thanks for all the help!

sam

I have a Blackstar HT5 too. Fabulous little amp. I haven't bothered with the FX loop. In the end I gave up with my pedal board too. Too many things to go wrong in the heat and gloom of a gig. I just use a Fulltone boost pedal and occasionally a Boss delay. I think if I wanted to use a lot of FX I'd abandon the amp altogether and use a dedicated thing like the PodXT direct to the PA - which I guess you could do with Mainframe too. I don't see the point of having a beautiful valve amp (which is so responsive to your guitar's pickups) and then feeding a digitised mush into it.

Are you micing it up to a PA? You could stick reverb etc on at that stage.