Having issues with a Roland D-50 as a controller

brzilian

I just upgraded to Logic 9 and noticed some weird behavior in Mainstage.

Whenever I trigger a note on my Roland D-50 (I'm using it as a MIDI controller), sounds cut off right after I let go of the key. My sustain pedal doesn't work either. I also have a Yamaha P-85 and a M-Audio O2 which I also use as controllers and everything works fine.

When I load Logic itself, everything sounds fine when playing on the D-50 which really has me stumped as to what the issue is.

Any ideas? Is there something fishy about the MIDI spec on the D-50?

Well, after some investigation, it appears the D-50 sends MIDI CC #123 (all notes off) whenever I release a key whereas the P-85 sends a simple NOTE OFF MIDI message upon releasing a key.

Why is this only causing a problem with Mainstage and not Logic itself (or any other DAW app/softsynth for that matter)? Is there a way to filter out MIDI CC #123 in Mainstage?

Well, after some investigation, it appears the D-50 sends MIDI CC #123 (all notes off) whenever I release a key whereas the P-85 sends a simple NOTE OFF MIDI message upon releasing a key.

Why is this only causing a problem with Mainstage and not Logic itself (or any other DAW app/softsynth for that matter)? Is there a way to filter out MIDI CC #123 in Mainstage?

The MIDI Spec says that CC #123 indeed kills all notes, so the behavior in MainStage seems correct to me. It seems that Logic supports this too, but you have to actively enable it (in the MIDI preferences).

I would check the manual for your D-50 to see if this behavior can be turned off.

Hi I have the same problem with my Juno106. And I did not find a way to keep it from sending out cc123 there.

Anyway....a way to get around this problem is to create a controller object in the MS layout window. And in the inspector for that object you just created you put the hardware input number to 123. And Midi through to "do not pass through"