Is my laptop is fast enough for live performance in MS2 ?

mikeebruno

Yes, Is my laptop is fast enough for live performance in MS2 ?

1) I have a MBP 2,16 core duo (first intel generation), 2 gig ram...

I dont know yet what interface I'm going to work with...

2) GIO has not enough control for live gig... preset up and down, no good. scrolling up and down to search your solo patch is not realistic for me. What control you guys are using for live gig ?

thanks !

Yes, Is my laptop is fast enough for live performance in MS2 ?

1) I have a MBP 2,16 core duo (first intel generation), 2 gig ram...

I dont know yet what interface I'm going to work with...

2) GIO has not enough control for live gig... preset up and down, no good. scrolling up and down to search your solo patch is not realistic for me. What control you guys are using for live gig ?

thanks !

ram maybe you main issue. I think that model can go to 3gb

I have a 2.33ghz core 2 duo with 3GB of ram and it runs MS2 fine

It really depends on the way you setup mainstage and use it

There are very efficient ways to set things up and ways that will drag the performance down on any system just about

I have learned to only have sounds in a concert i will use for that concert

I have mode lots of sounds up and layers and have saved these and choose what I need only. I always reboot, always turn off WIFI airport and I installed on a new user and boot into that user for MS2. I find I then have plenty of power and memory. I try to mainly use the inbuilt sound sources that come with Mainstage and logic as MS loads these more efficiently than say Kontakt.

I do have a couple of instances of Kontakt though.

I often remove things like space designer from a sound and I use a bas to have system wide reverb and delay which I vary in each sound a lot more efficient.

I found the macproaudio.com tutorials on mainstage 2 very helpful in setting up and efficient system and discovering alot I didnt realise I could do

I use a keystation pro and map controls to it , I use the arrow keys on the laptop to choose sounds

Thanks for your knowlage and reply...

Well I'm planning on using only Amp Designer and Pedalboard so I thing right there that it's going to be alot less heavy than some sampler like kontak or other layered keys sound...

I'm maxed out with 2 gig of ram... I like the idea of loading only the sounds that i'm going to use... less ram usage right ?

thanks

Thanks for your knowlage and reply...

Well I'm planning on using only Amp Designer and Pedalboard so I thing right there that it's going to be alot less heavy than some sampler like kontak or other layered keys sound...

I'm maxed out with 2 gig of ram... I like the idea of loading only the sounds that i'm going to use... less ram usage right ?

thanks

Those video tutorials have some interesting ways to use pedals board effects with software synths a v cool trick. Yes it should be fine as amp designer generally doesnt use alot of resource what uses resources such as ram as actual software instruments such as EXS sampler or Kontakt sampler. the other software instruments are generally v light on cpu and ram. Space designer plug in and sculture are real hogs.