3rd Party Plugins causing troubles?

TonyTallarico

I started a new concert in MainStage 2 and have been busy programming patches. I got to about 13 patches and suddenly most of my 3rd party plugins started acting weird ... especially vir2 products that use Kontakt as a way to present the plugins within MainStage. The patches don't have a ton of verbs, delays, etc and usually average about 4 or 5 sounds per patch. I can't believe that MainStage can't handle this? It's really nothing compared to what most would use it for.

Every now and then my Ivory piano craps out, the Arturia stuff is hit and miss and now the vir2 plugins are acting up. Are 3rd party plugins nothing but trouble for MainStage? Geez what a disappointment.

What's weird is that if I was to open another Concert (with fewer 3rd party plugins) and start adding the 3rd party plugins ... MainStage is fine. :roll:

Just when I start to think ... wow this MainStage 2 is ok - something bites me in the butt! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
The patches don't have a ton of verbs, delays, etc and usually average about 4 or 5 sounds per patch. I can't believe that MainStage can't handle this? It's really nothing compared to what most would use it for.

The issue here is not MainStage. At least not directly. MainStage behaves differently from e.g. Logic, because as a life application it enforces a very low latency on plugins. This will increase the CPU load compared to e.g. a sequencer which can do certain tricks with tracks that are not record-enabled.

I understand.

Wish I had known that before I invested in a Mac laptop, Logic, audio interface and plugins. For less money I probably could have bought a Receptor 2 (didn't know about it until recently). I just want to reliably trigger great sounds from 2 keyboard controllers and do my job as a keyboard player.

I understand.

Wish I had known that before I invested in a Mac laptop, Logic, audio interface and plugins. For less money I probably could have bought a Receptor 2 (didn't know about it until recently). I just want to reliably trigger great sounds from 2 keyboard controllers and do my job as a keyboard player.

Do you really think by putting a PC in a pretty box, these issue don't happen?

Yes - you are correct a laptop can do so much more than Receptor. But I think there in lies the problem for me ... I only want the laptop to do one thing reliably - make sound ... and yet it won't. I find myself making excuses for MainStage2 and constantly compromising at every turn. As it was stated in another interesting post about CPU on this very site ... it really comes down to sparingly using 3rd party plugins and relying on Logic's library of sound for most of your needs. Which isn't a bad thing ... just disappointing. I'm too far in to give up on MainStage2 right now - so I will stick it out and make compromises and go with the flow. :cry:

Yes - you are correct a laptop can do so much more than Receptor. But I think there in lies the problem for me ... I only want the laptop to do one thing reliably - make sound ... and yet it won't. I find myself making excuses for MainStage2 and constantly compromising at every turn. As it was stated in another interesting post about CPU on this very site ... it really comes down to sparingly using 3rd party plugins and relying on Logic's library of sound for most of your needs. Which isn't a bad thing ... just disappointing. I'm too far in to give up on MainStage2 right now - so I will stick it out and make compromises and go with the flow. :cry:

That's how it just is, same with Receptor, you really can't control much the quality of third party plug-ins.