iTunes to Mainstage mixer?

donmr

Hi again - well that sort of worked but now if I use Soundflower as input for Mainstage I lose the use of my apogee Ensembleas there is no way I can see that Mainstage will use more than one sound input device. Is there some kind of bridging plugin? Apple make a couple of plugins that are a bit like this - one that plays any sound file and another that will play audio from a network stream with an IP address but nothing that can turn the iTunes output back in to a channel.

Any more clues would be great!

Hi again - well that sort of worked but now if I use Soundflower as input for Mainstage I lose the use of my apogee Ensembleas there is no way I can see that Mainstage will use more than one sound input device. Is there some kind of bridging plugin?

There is the aggregrate device driver build into the Audio/MIDI Setup. It allows you to "create" a single audio device that consists out of several physical ones.

Hi again - well that sort of worked but now if I use Soundflower as input for Mainstage I lose the use of my apogee Ensembleas there is no way I can see that Mainstage will use more than one sound input device. Is there some kind of bridging plugin? Apple make a couple of plugins that are a bit like this - one that plays any sound file and another that will play audio from a network stream with an IP address but nothing that can turn the iTunes output back in to a channel.

Any more clues would be great!

Can't you set iTune (system prefs) to play out of the same interface as MS?

Yes I can do that but I want to have iTunes output run though the mainstage mixer which is a different proposition. Using the aggregate sound device i can rout the iTunes output through the line out then plug a cable from the line out to the input of the Apogee but I'm sure there must be a way to do this via software and avoiding physical cables.

Hi,

I'd be interested in a similar thing for a home Karaoke rig. I want to run the output of kJams (karaoke software) into a channel strip of Mainstage.

The Karaoke track levels vary hugely and there's no automated way of adjusting their relative levels in the kJams software (equivalent to iTunes 'Sound Check').

I already have a simple Mainstage performance with Mic levels and basic effects controls but I want to be able to quickly adjust the backing track level as well.

Hi. Would you mind outlining how you got soundflower to input the MS mixer without resorting to a cable? I'm still nutting this out without success. I can get soundflower to get itunes out the digital output of my ensemble but then I have to use a digital cable to rout the adat out to the adat in on the ensemble to get it to the mainstage mixer. I would LOVE to do this via software!! -

• 2 weeks later...

I've got some bad news for you. To use Soundflower with external hardware, you need to use the Apple Audio/MIDI Utility (Applications-Utilities..) to create an aggregate device, which is a composite of soundflower and your hardware BUT the ensemble won't work as part of an aggregate device. I uses an ensemble at the proper studio and have often raised my fist for this very reason.

I've also not tried using iTunes with Soundflower, I'm using it for karaoke with a program called kJams Lite. I'm sure it could be made to work with iTunes though.