Mainstage and Motif ES8

sonrisapro

Hey guys Im a Keyboardist, Arranger in my Church using Mainstage 2, Motif ES8, Motu UltraLite and an Axiom 61 controller. I am kind of new to using software for song

creation in a live setting and at this point I'm sort of getting by with this new knowledge. Love my setup, Love the sound. What I cant figure out is how to set the Motif up as the Main keyboard through Mainstge, I want to be able to layer sounds from the Motif and from Mainstage. I also would love to be able to control the B3 patches from within the concert sets using the drawbars and mod wheel/pitch bend for Leslie effects. Please bear with me! Again I am new to this and really want to run my rig as efficiently as possible. If there is an Answer please let me know. I thank you so much. May the Lord Richly bless you.

Quote:

Mac book Pro 2.33, 4gigs ram, MOTU ULTRA LITE, Motif ES8 , Logic 9.1.1, Mainstage 2.1.1

I've used a Yamaha S90 as a Mainstage controller - it's fairly similar. These Yamaha boards are bare bones as midi controllers, but they work. You'll need to tell it to transmit midi (utility menu, midi switch). If it's like my S90, it can control midi via either a standard midi cable or via USB; however, the USB connection was not usable for me because I had ground loop hum problems (YMMV, possibly a defect in my S90).

Since I wanted to use the S90's patch selection buttons to send midi program changes to Mainstage, I just put the S90 in voice mode on bank A, and then the 16 patch selector buttons sent program 1-16 (with bank B sending 17-32, etc). This works well if you don't need to mix Yamaha sounds with Mainstage sounds (I mute the S90 audio output while controlling Mainstage). If you need to mix 'em, you'll need to use a different method for selecting patches (unless you can live with voice-mode-only patches on the MO, and put them at the same patch numbers you're using in Mainstage).

Hope this helps,

John