2 identical controllers and layout mode.

pipaverde

I'm having trouble and it seems like very basic stuff:

I have 2 identical axiom 61 controllers.

in MS layout I make 2 controllers to resemble my physical setup.

I can not get the top keyboard to be recognized or "learned" in MS.

Here is the steps I have done:

1)Before even opening MS, I open Audio MIDI setup.

2) I plug in my top keyboard and rename it "axiom top" I test the setup, and it works. This keyboard is set on global chan midi 1 on the controller.

3) I plug in bottom keyboard and name it "axiom bottom" - I test it it works.

* Should I change settings on ports here?

4)I open MS and open a new template with 2 controllers.

5) I click on the top keyboard in layout mode. I have it set to device ALL, channel 1. When I play the top controller, there is no movement of the keys in layout mode. (accept I can still hear the "test" sound from idid setup when I lift off the keys. even though I pushed the "test button off"

6) I click on the bottom controller in layout- set to device ALL and channel 2. It works fine, and I do not hear this "test" sound from MIDI setup.

I am going crazy, I had it all figured out now I can't get it. Is it the ports? I have tried to "learn" the controller, no recognition. The controller is recognized in MIDI setup, but in MS I cant get it to be recognized.

Interestingly, in layout, my only "devices" available are "port 1 axiom bottom" and "port 2 axiom bottom" so essentially, it thinks its 1 controller going thru both ports? I'm confused out of my mind, any insight would be greatly appreciated... and why do I have the "test" sound still going off while MIDI setup is open? I just closed MIDI setup and the noise went away- but in MS I cant get my 2 controllers to be distinguished from one another!!!

thanks for any help!

in addition to different midi channels, i would suggest NAMING each axiom differently as well in midi setup.

Yes, MainStage identifies MIDI devices via their name and USB port. By changing the name of one Axiom you make sure that it always matches the right one. The MIDI channel is not important.

The MIDI channel is not important?

really? so both axioms on the same midi channel is OK? really??

I don't think (or hope) he meant it that way.

You have to assign each controller to a different midi channel or else they will both be looked at as the same channel.

when two identical controllers are used, naming them each a different name is a necessity. The OP did do that with the Top/Bottom labels.

The Axioms have be natively assigned separate channels.

The MIDI channel is not important?

really? so both axioms on the same midi channel is OK? really??

I don't think (or hope) he meant it that way.

You have to assign each controller to a different midi channel or else they will both be looked at as the same channel.

Yes, that is exactly what I've meant: the MIDI channel from a keyboard is not important in the assignment, because it can - if necessary - be changed on a per-channelstrip base anyway.

MainStage has no problems with two keyboards on the same channel, but it needs to have a way to differentiate them. This is automatically done via the USB port, but I would recomment changing the name of one in Audio/MIDI Setup for good faith.

es, that is exactly what I've meant: the MIDI channel from a keyboard is not important in the assignment, because it can - if necessary - be changed on a per-channelstrip base anyway.

He's 100% correct. You do the assignments in the MIDI input tab of the channel strip inspector.

I'm having trouble and it seems like very basic stuff:

I have 2 identical axiom 61 controllers.

in MS layout I make 2 controllers to resemble my physical setup.

I can not get the top keyboard to be recognized or "learned" in MS.

Here is the steps I have done:

1)Before even opening MS, I open Audio MIDI setup.

2) I plug in my top keyboard and rename it "axiom top" I test the setup, and it works. This keyboard is set on global chan midi 1 on the controller.

3) I plug in bottom keyboard and name it "axiom bottom" - I test it it works.

* Should I change settings on ports here?

4)I open MS and open a new template with 2 controllers.

5) I click on the top keyboard in layout mode. I have it set to device ALL, channel 1. When I play the top controller, there is no movement of the keys in layout mode. (accept I can still hear the "test" sound from idid setup when I lift off the keys. even though I pushed the "test button off"

6) I click on the bottom controller in layout- set to device ALL and channel 2. It works fine, and I do not hear this "test" sound from MIDI setup.

I am going crazy, I had it all figured out now I can't get it. Is it the ports? I have tried to "learn" the controller, no recognition. The controller is recognized in MIDI setup, but in MS I cant get it to be recognized.

Interestingly, in layout, my only "devices" available are "port 1 axiom bottom" and "port 2 axiom bottom" so essentially, it thinks its 1 controller going thru both ports? I'm confused out of my mind, any insight would be greatly appreciated... and why do I have the "test" sound still going off while MIDI setup is open? I just closed MIDI setup and the noise went away- but in MS I cant get my 2 controllers to be distinguished from one another!!!

thanks for any help!

pipaverde,

Try this if all else fails.

Set one axiom to channel 2 and then do your Layout set up again,

Axiom

2.2 MIDI Channel

MIDI messages can be sent on any of 16 channels. If you are connected to a computer, the MIDI software will be receiving on all

channels in most cases. However, when you are connected to external MIDI synthesizers, sound modules and some virtual instruments,

you need to match the transmit channel of your keyboard with the receiving channel of the MIDI device for the connection to work

properly.

To set the channel of your keyboard:

49- and 61-note versions:

< Press the Glob Chan button. The LCD will show the channel on which the keyboard is currently transmitting.

< Enter a channel between 1-16 on the numeric keypad. The LCD will update to display the new channel selected as

you enter the data.

< You can also use the -/+ buttons to step through the channels.

ok, I have tried all of this- in MIDI setup I rename each controller, to axiom top, and axiom bottom.

in layout- axiom top is on midi channel 1 (as is the global channel set on my top axiom controller.) Similarly, axiom bottom is on midi channel 2 (as is the global channel set on my bottom axiom controller)

interesting to note here- when I am in layout mode, under "hardware input" the only 2 devices that show are called,

axiom bottom port 1

axiom bottom port 2

So, something makes me think it has to do with which port? I am now using a usb hub but I had similar problems before using the hub.

This brings me to some questions.

1) IS there a way to add/remove devices within mainstage. In other words, where does it see what my devices are. In layout>Hardware Input>Devices - where does MS read these devices? From MIDI setup? That does not make sense because in MIDI setup I have each device labeled "top" and "bottom" all that comes up in layout is "bottom port 1" and "bottom port 2."

2) Am I correct in assuming that it shouldn't matter which port I plug into- meaning, the computer should recognize the name of the device as its been labeled in MIDI setup, right? Earlier today everything was working fine, I had top controller on chan 1 in MS and global, bottom on channel 2 in MS and globabl- and they both worked perfectly. To test this, I switched the USB cables, I put the bottom controller in port 1, and the top in port 2 (the opposite of how I had it originally) - and everything responded fine, normal, as it should... the top recognized top, bottom recognized bottom.

I currently have each controller responding as it should, top on MIDI ch 1 and bottom on MIDI ch 2. However, under layout > screen control inspector> hardware input>device - for both of my controllers I set this to "ALL" My question is why does it not let me choose which device that is? Should I not have an option for "axiom bottom" and "axiom top" ? (thats how they are labeled in MIDI setup.) Instead, my devices are "bottom port 1" and "bottom port 2"

Any ideas?

What does the Audio/Midi set up show when both keys are connected?

You should be able to label them, but it can get confusing until you work with it enough for it to make sense. It will take time and there are usually a few different ways to reach the same end result.

What mmm42 stated is true in the case of different controllers. Each device has a system ID. Yours are both the same, but you can look in your axiom manual and see if changing one will make a difference (section 3.2.3). If not change it back.

648696487_Picture7.png.c85307e70b31991be06d9e8c65ea5ec7.png

646499872_Picture8.png.9f29d1b406a0b8d6d3d4978f00ac8099.png

1785095503_Picture9.png.fa40bc6d1d3f596d380b085c6bb7f67e.png

674986103_Picture10.png.0d5753c1dc0c18d33958ddb6a89f7b4d.png

I have them named in MIDI setup as 2 different things:

AX TOP

AX BOTTOM

---

I then open MS and got to layout mode and it detects 2 devices:

Port 1 TOP AX

Port 2 TOP AX

So, my system seems to be working- meaning my top keyboard is MIDI ch 1 (both in layout and on my axiom) and the bottom is MIDI ch 2 (both in layout and on the axiom.)

Then, why, does Mainstage see them as one device, with 2 ports?

Does this have to do with the IAC Driver in MIDI setup?

Below you can see that the "available devices" in MS "Port 1 AX TOP" and "PORT 2 AX TOP."

But, below that, you can see how I identified the different controllers, in MIDI setup as TOP and BOTTOM- but why does MS see them as both "TOP" but a different port?

In order for me to have the keys be recognized as top and bottom, I have to keep devices to "ALL" and set MIDI ch 1 for top and MIDI ch2 for bottom.

But why does MS not detect the devices as I have them labeled in MIDI setup?

384398842_Screenshot2010-03-23at12_32_41AM.png.5c61e9ecc657ef4584a89b268c6ec405.png

1153951182_Screenshot2010-03-23at12_32_05AM.png.2ce7653610135b138c6463f0b608af55.png