Session barter?

jster

Before I reinvent the wheel, I was wondering if anybody knows of any thread or listings on any forum where guys trade performances. My electric bass playing on your track for your piano on mine. That kind of thing. Seems like the VI/DAW world is ripe for barter and everybody has the tools to make it go down pretty smoothly.

I would want to reach as many people as possible. I saw a thread on vi-control.net where a keyboard player needed a guitar part. And I thought about posting this question on gearslutz. But I thought I would start with you guys since you are so friendly. :) I'm happy to have something here, and obviously anybody can do whatever is within their power. I can start a thread. David could do much more obviously. My only concern is maximum exposure/traffic/barter. I'm not interested in something small. I can fake one or two piano parts. I am interested in something on the order of 1-4 barters a week. And given personality differences, skill levels, musical backgrounds, I think a largish pool is absolutely necessary. So from my point of view, it would most likely have to go to the whole DAW/VI community rather than just Logic folks. On the other hand, if we find that their is a veritable Wrecking Crew II lurking on this site, then maybe outreach isn't so essential. I would like there to be a lot of traffic and have it be very user friendly and relatively low stress. As long as people are very clear about what they can and can't deliver, then it shouldn't be too stressful. Could really put any skill into the mix, including mixing, mastering, etc.. But first priority would be performance. Also be nice to have a decent mix of instruments represented. Keyboardists would probably be overrepresented. Guitarists maybe just right. Saxophonists underrepresented. Could have a system of credits. So if I have nothing for you today, but I play on your tune, then I get a credit and you get a debit. You would need to work yours off quite possibly with somebody else, while I could collect on my credit elsewhere. Could do it per hour. Or per bar or music. Just some ideas.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm very interested. I think it's a great idea.

Professionally I'm a keyboard player as well as a bassist & guitarist. I own a few Indian instruments like a sitar, tabla and bulburan (sp?). And I'm itching to play.

To O.P.: please note that I'm interested enough to consider alternatives if it doesn't happen to gain traction with this group of people.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mixbridge's is not about helping each other help each other based on the exchange of talent or more productive gear each might have that the other doesn't, it's about hiring someone to do the skill you lack. Musician's Exchange or Session Barter, I believe would be a collaboration based on contingency of the quality of your output one track at a time. I like the "credit/debit" process mentioned above. Artists profiles should bare their ratings in listed categories at what they are proven to be good at: performance playing; sound producing; guitar; piano; violin; beats; etc. Maybe just a small membership fee (nothing like taxi.com), but free is always good too. Notwithstanding, everyone should get credit mentions on the site as to what songs they contributed to.

Bottom line, nobody should be able to sell someone else's idea in the country you live unless they are the copyright owner or unless they expressly agree to be content with only the credits for what they do. Too much for me to think about and suggest anymore. I hope it happens David. I'm in. I need a real Spanish Lutherin guitar sound. I obviously could exchange my standard of created synth sounds:

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

I can't find how to embed the soundcloud player. I copied the following from soundcloud share and nothing:

It will happen. Very soon. :D

I can't find how to embed the soundcloud player.

I embedded it for you. What you have to do is:

1) Paste your SoundCloud URL.

2) Select the entire URL.

3) Click the SoundCloud button at the top of the textbox (in Full View only, those buttons do not show up in the Quick Reply box at the bottom of a thread).

Have a look at Splice. It may be a great solution for collaboration, and it supports Logic Pro X (doesn't sound like my Pro 9 thought)

!https://splice.com/

Splice looks great, but it would be nice if they had a full category list for types of music and instruments to search. I notice the page with plug-ins: are they renting the use or allowing you to use them, or is it what Splice uses on your tracks?

...Artists profiles should bare their ratings in listed categories at what they are proven to be good at: performance playing; sound producing; guitar; piano; violin; beats; etc

I was going to suggest something similar to this recently, specifically because of a recent phone call. A guy wanted to hire me to play guitar on his demo. Luckily we talked for a bit because he wanted me to play like Yngwie Malmsteen and/or Tony MacAlpine (another late 80’s “shredder”).

I can’t play like Yngwie. Nor do I want to, although there was a month or two in 1985 when I would have traded my girlfriend for the skillz. So my suggestion for here is: as we create personal bios for ourselves, we should list our strengths, as we know them to be, next to any given instrument. Do the same for strengths in areas like production, mixing, arranging, composition, etc, etc.

For example, mine might say:

Bass Guitar: tends towards an aggressive approach, enjoys using pick but plays with fingers. Jumps at experimentation given the chance (e-bow, funk fingers, slide). Influences: Peter Hook, Geddy Lee, Mike Mills, that guy from Tool.

Guitar: strong overall rhythm guitarist; great melodic sense in a U2, Tom Verlaine, post-punk way; heavily influenced by Glenn Branca & Sonic Youth and early darkwave & goth, prog-rock & shoegaze; think textures, harmonics, drones, unusual voicings.

Keyboards/piano:

…etc...

That would be great TheUncannyValley.

I didn't know "Barter" was a music web Atlas007, I thought you were making a name suggestion. I'll have to go check it out now.

I meant posting some material to barter here, on this board.

There was question to create a section (on this very board, Logic Pro Help) which would be named Music Exchange (if I recall).

Well, nothing has concretized so far. I understand it is recent....

I just hope that the project is still on its rails... and eventually comes to life.

• 1 month later...
For a couple of years there has been a site called myonlineband.com, which is a collaborative site for all skill levels. I think it does what you are trying to achieve. I'm just not sure of their policy on copyrites or usage and rites of the artist.

Worth looking at though...

Thanx for sharing!