Welcome to MixWOLPH Three!
"Mixing Workshop Online Logic Pro Help"
MixWOLPH Three Sign-Up, Final mixes due the last week in October!
Normally, the purpose of MixWOLPH is to allow members to download the project files of another member and produce a complete mix of the song in order to give that member insight into the various ways the song could be mixed and produced. MixWOLPH Three is going to be a little different. The song for this MixWOLPH session is a commercial release from a Danish artist. The label and the artist have graciously provided us with permission to use this in our workshop, and the files have been provided by LPH member "lagerfeldt", who did the original mix for the artist. We will not be revealing the artist's name until later since we don't want anyone finding and listening to the released mix, then attempting to reproduce it. (If you know who it is, keep it to yourself!) The song was originally mixed without any special instructions from the artist, so that's how it's being presented here.
The song does present some unique mixing challenges and you'll have to interpret the genre and make your own decisions for the final sound.
While pros are welcome to sign up for MixWOLPH, the purpose is especially for those who are new to mixing and provides a means to learn from each other. You can think of it as a kind of "community barn building" for a song. Don't hesitate to use techniques you see in others draft mixes for your own. This is a learning exercise.
Note that this is not a contest. MixWOLPH is for academic purposes only. It is also NOT a ReMix exercise. If you sign up, you cannot fundamentally change the song structure or its parts. You can however, use any effects included with Logic Pro 9 and any mix technique or project workflow you like, and also add tracks. More on this below.
Here's how it works:
To sign up, go to the new MixWOLPH download mini-site
and register. You will need to enter your real name and your logicprohelp.com username. Your real name will not be visible to other members, only site admin. Your email address will need to be confirmed, so be sure to click the confirmation link in the email you receive from the site. Your registration will be manually activated by us, so please be patient. Once you're able to log in, you'll see the links on the site to download the MixWOLPH 3 files. (288mB).
Mix the song. Feel free to discuss any aspect on the Logic Pro Help Mixing Workshop forum. When you've mixed the song, attach your zipped project (.logic file only) to a new thread in the Mixing Workshop forum announcing it. You can do this anytime. This is just the .logic file, no audio files.
You can submit twice, one draft mix and one final mix. Name the thread MixWOLPH Three Submission-user name. So for example my thread titles would look like:
"MixWOLPH 3- Draft Submission-fader8"
and . . .
"MixWOLPH 3- Final Submission-fader8"
We will create the MP3's from your project files and upload that to your submission post. This way, even people who haven't signed up to download the project files can comment on your mixes.
You have 8 weeks until all submissions must be in. (Final mixes due the last week in October.)
Here are the rules:
1. First and foremost. By signing up, you agree that the artist/label reserves "all" rights to the content in any form, written, remixed or recorded, or anything. You cannot use the material for anything beyond what's instructed here without the artist and label's permission. Anything you do on this project or its contents remains or becomes the artist's property. No exceptions. Full stop.
2. This is not MasteringWOLPH! While you may have plug-ins on the output channel, the intent is to help each other with mixing, not mastering. So your mix should reflect that it would be sent to an ME.
3. This is not ReMixWOLPH. Stay with the composers intent! Certainly you can copy/slice and move, or even delete regions and tracks for creative special effect purposes, but this is not intended to be a hack and slash remix effort. Don't change the length, tempo or time signature.
4. DO NOT ALTER OR RENAME ANY AUDIO FILES. Anyone that has signed up should be able to paste your project file into their project folder and have the song play perfectly. That means no sample editor or Arrange destructive editing.
5. NO THIRD PARTY PLUG-INS. Logic Pro 9 included plugs only.
6. You may add a track, audio, EXS24 or Ultrabeat, if you feel a part needs reinforcing, drum replacement, etc. However, keep in mind that the intent is not to rewrite the song! Do not change the music!
There is a personal "Extra Files" area on the download site that everyone who signed up can access. Upload your files there in zip format. There's a text field you can provide instructions in. Be absolutely clear how it should be placed in the project.
7. You may also upload special Space Designer IR files in the "Extra Files" area of the download site if needed for your project.
8. Your mix should peak at no higher than -3dBFS on the main mix outputs.
Do not post your own MP3's. Only .logic files will be accepted and only two versions, draft and final will be accepted. No exceptions.
I know, lotsa rules, but we have to keep it sane and make it so everyone can participate.
Please note that I'm donating server space and bandwidth for this. Please don't abuse it. Also, David has been kind enough to create a dedicated forum for this, so let's not mess it up. If you have any questions about anything, post them here in this thread. Also, if you're interested in having your music publicly victimized in a future MixWOLPH project, let me know!