Are Mac "Clean up" Programs like "CleanMyMac" safe to use wi

What triplets said. On top of that, I'm dubious about their vaunted "duplicate photo removal" feature for iPhoto. Be aware that it's the original that's first referenced when changes are made. If you deleted it and then want to make more changes to the dupe, I'm not sure how iPhoto would handle that. And, you'll no longer be able to compare with the original, which normally is a breeze - you hit the Shift key and you see the original.

The whole point of having an untouched original is that you never have to worry about messing it up.

NO

NO

NO

NO

I worked for apple for about 5 years and I couldn't tell you the amount of people that came in with "MacKeeper" installed on it that had all of these inexplicable problems. CleanmyMac i don't think is as insidious and borderline malware as MacKeeper is, but the guys above are right, please avoid them, in fact, please tell your friends and any mac users that you know to please avoid them.

• 2 months later...
The best way to maintain a computer's performance is to limit the amount of software installed on it. That is valid for all kind of computer setup. Installing and desinstalling repeatedly different softwares just for curiosity makes things worse. To increase you computer performance if it is already messed up is to start from scratch, making sure that you have all it takes (proper procedure, drivers, licence codes, etc...) to reinstall only what is useful. If you can upgrade your computer with an SSD and ample RAM of reliable quality you will realize a real performance gain.

• 1 month later...
The only utility you need in this space is the free but excellent OnyX. It will allow you to clean caches and do important maintenance routines. With OnyX and the Disk Utility app in your 'Utilities' folder you can do 95% percent of what CleanMyMac/MacKeeper can do. The remaining 5% does more harm than good.