Transcribing music - legal issues question

ansthenia

Hi everyone

There are some orchestral pieces that I really want transcribed for the sake of study, I've searched long and hard and there isn't any sheet music or midi available for them. I was thinking about paying someone to transcribe them for me, but would this be illegal on their part?

There are some orchestral pieces that I really want transcribed for the sake of study, I've searched long and hard and there isn't any sheet music or midi available for them. I was thinking about paying someone to transcribe them for me, but would this be illegal on their part?

If it's just for your personal study and you're not intending to sell or distribute the sheet music or sell or distribute a recorded version of the music then I don't believe you would be violating any copyright laws.

Hi everyone

If orchestra played it - sheet music exists.

Transcribing orchestra can be tricky (getting exact instrumentation), if its a more obscure piece you can always contact "Society of composers" type of organisation, because they usually hold most of the publications if they're not available via online shops.