Signature and Specs

Jay Denson

Can someone please tell me how to add my specs to my signature. I've had two private emails from Eric on the subject.

A little explanation of how to do this would help alongside the tickings off.

TIA Jay

Here they are pasted manually:

Logic Pro X - 10.0.6 - Mac Pro - 2 x 2.8 Quad Core Intel Zeon - 8GB 800 MHz DDR OSX 10.9.1

A little explanation of how to do this would help alongside the tickings off.

Didn't Eric provide a link in his private messages? Didn't you read the answers to your own posts, where we have provided you with the link to update the info, and all the info we needed?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104518&p=544970#p544970

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104491&p=544772#p544772

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103632&p=540612#p540612

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103447&p=539735#p539735

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103333&p=539123#p539123

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102973&p=538664#p538664

In any case, there's a big red/pink box at the top of all our forum, stating READ THIS, that clearly explains everything and provides a link to your signature. I understand that nobody wants to read it, but I'm not sure how we can make it any clearer what our community members are supposed to do. I'm also not sure why you mention "ticking off" when all we're trying to do is help you for free. And yes, to be able to help you, we need to know what equipment you're using. So all we're doing is patiently asking you in several ways (big link in a red box at the top of every forum, answers to the thread you posted, private messages etc...) to provide that information. Yet you take is as being ticked off? How are we supposed to word that request better?

I am serious, as this is an ongoing problem, one that we all waste way too much time on, and that ultimately seems to annoy every new member, and yet I'm not sure how we can help you without having that information. If you can think of a better way to present the request or to ask new members for that information, or a more obvious explanation that you wouldn't have missed, then I'm all ears. I created this forum in 1999 and this has been an issue ever since.

FWIW I also consult a food forum on a regular basis and the problem is the same there: new members come and post "I've made a cake and it doesn't rise?" then regulars ask "what's your recipe?" and the answer is something like "It's a chocolate cake", the regulars ask "yes but what's the exact recipe?" etc... and in the end the new members get annoyed that they have to provide so many details, and the regulars get frustrated that they are supposed to help someone without getting the information they need to be able to provide the help.

In 15 years I still haven't found a perfect solution for this ongoing issue, so I am open to suggestions.

I am serious, as this is an ongoing problem, one that we all waste way too much time on, and that ultimately seems to annoy every new member, and yet I'm not sure how we can help you without having that information. If you can think of a better way to present the request or to ask new members for that information, or a more obvious explanation that you wouldn't have missed, then I'm all ears. I created this forum in 1999 and this has been an issue ever since.

FWIW I also consult a food forum on a regular basis and the problem is the same there: new members come and post "I've made a cake and it doesn't rise?" then regulars ask "what's your recipe?" and the answer is something like "It's a chocolate cake", the regulars ask "yes but what's the exact recipe?" etc... and in the end the new members get annoyed that they have to provide so many details, and the regulars get frustrated that they are supposed to help someone without getting the information they need to be able to provide the help.

In 15 years I still haven't found a perfect solution for this ongoing issue, so I am open to suggestions.

Having been a volunteer online Logic helper for over five years now over on Apple's site and some years here as well, I immediately recognise the issue, I've seen it a lot, and I think it is mainly a psychological one. I estimate that only about one percent (if not less) of new posters provide their specs (and most of those in their message text), and this is because it indeed feels like filling out a form - hardly anybody likes that, especially if it also concerns things they need to find out first. The color of the "read this"-banner almost plays with this notion: red tape.

I think the only small technical thing you could still improve at this point is the accessability/findability of the signature page (it's a bit 'buried' in the hiërarchy); the way the request is worded now is clear and complete and it does work most of the time, I think you have really done enough to alleviate this issue.

I don't think you can ever solve it (let alone "perfectly" :P ;) ), your own example of the recipe site supports the idea that the issue is mainly nonverbally psychological. So my soft suggestion would be: accept it, it's human habit; you have done more than enough to make things clear and keep it short (like the forum rules, which are very clear and easily readable, not some Herculaean task), there will always be this 'impatience' (from eagerness to get on with making music, or deadlines) from questioneers, and there will always be some questions that need no sys info ("my D2 note is missing").

Hi David and Jordi

What I had missed in the forum rules was that the word 'signature' was blue and therefore a link to my signature edit page. Therefore I couldn't figure out how to comply despite repeated warnings.

I do appreciate every piece of help I receive from the forum and hope not to annoy anyone. I've added my specs now - I hope they are appended to this message. If not I'll try again.

Thanks for everyone's patience hitherto.

Kind regards.

Jay

Two solutions:

1. Make the tech specs required fields when users create accounts.

They could then be displayed under the User Name along with "Joined", "Location", "Posts" etc.

(May require a bit of hacking phpBB, but certainly do-able).

2. Simply delete the posts of non compliant users until they play nicely. :twisted:

Therefore I couldn't figure out how to comply despite repeated warnings.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean Jay? I mean, the answers to your posts (which you dub "warnings") explicitly state to click the link. Here's an example of one of those answers:

Hi Jay.

Click this link to your signature and add your system information (... etc.)

I'm really not sure how to make it any clearer that you have to click the blue, underlined link?

I should update the wording in the Forum rules as well to follow this, but since we did give you the link in your own threads I would have thought that was pretty clear???

1. Make the tech specs required fields when users create accounts.

They could then be displayed under the User Name along with "Joined", "Location", "Posts" etc.

(May require a bit of hacking phpBB, but certainly do-able).

No hacking required, that feature is now built-in phpBB. I had started doing that a a few years ago, but decided against it for various reasons... one of which is that some people who join the forum wouldn't even know where to find that information. So that would be an "information wall" which would no doubt stop a LOT of people from signing up.

2. Simply delete the posts of non compliant users until they play nicely. :twisted:

Yeah sometimes I have dreams at night.... :lol: