Apple In Talks to Buy Dre's Beats

The amount of money that is being offered makes me wonder if Apple is more interested in the streaming business of Beats than the actual headphones. The headphones are poplar but not that innovative. Sales in the iTunes store have been on the decline in the last few years and Apple's own streaming radio is not as popular as Pandora and the likes.

makes me wonder if Apple is more interested in the streaming business of Beats than the actual headphones.

I agree with you: Apple broke the classical "album" model established by record companies to establish a new "song" model where users can purchase single songs. But that was 2001. Many other companies (including Beats) have realized that users aren't really interested in purchasing/owning/downloading songs, but would rather pay a subscription to have access to music streaming. Now Apple has to catch up.

I'm sorry, but ExNotator and David - you're both wrong.

It's easy to base statements on your own habits and just make assumptions, isn't it? I mean, I was on board with streaming right away and I've never bought a full album on iTunes.

Regardless of our own usage of it and how much cheaper Amazon tends to be, iTunes is responsible for an impressive 30%+ of all music sales, worldwide. Yes, sales numbers are lower than streaming numbers, but the payouts are .60 vs 0.006.

They've already acquired five different businesses based on streaming (as well as 3 monetization systems and a dozen sharing platforms) - yet they havn't launched their own service yet. When they do, it'll be a smash and annihilate Spotify/Rdio over night.

They'll launch a frankenstein'd beast when it's time. They just need to be ready with the perfect combination of technology and infrastructure.

I'm sorry, but ExNotator and David - you're both wrong.

It's easy to base statements on your own habits and just make assumptions, isn't it?...They'll launch a frankenstein'd beast when it's time. They just need to be ready with the perfect combination of technology and infrastructure.

Wait...I thought I was in a forum where you are supposed to 'base statements on your own habits and just make assumptions'. It's called an exchange of ideas. I didn't quite follow your train of thought but the 'frankenstein'd beast' terminology catched my eyes. Actually 'frankenstein'd Beats' might be a little catchier...but that is just an assumption of mine. :wink: