iTunes Weirdness

Hi there,

This is pretty strange, I've never seen this behaviour before. I am trying to copy a folder of music from iTunes to my MP3 player (not Apple), and it was always a simple matter of dragging and dropping the folder onto the music folder in the MP3 player, and that was it. However, all I can get off of iTunes now are aliases, even when I drag directly off the iTunes screen, or when I go to 'original file.' Does anyone know wtf is going on?

Thanks,

Glenn

What's the full directory you are trying to copy?

Have you selected the 'keep my iTunes organised' thingie? If so it may have moved everything to it's own folder (so many nightmares have been created from this button!)

I am not tryin to copy a directory, rather folders of songs from the iTunes Media/Music folder onto my desktop, which served up the aliases. Also, just dragging songs from a playlist onto the desktop also serves up just aliases. This has never happened to me before in all the years I've used iTunes.

Yes, I selected the Organize thingy. I've done that before without this weirdness.

Have you tried command-dragging?

Just did, and got the little circle with the slash through it (forbidden, won't work, etc). Directly from the iTunes playlist to the desktop, no-go.

EDIT: Ok that works when dragging folders from the iTunes media folder.

Thanks!

Glenn

PS, I still don't understand why this has started happening now.

I have 'read/write privileges; staff, read only, everyone read only. Please forgive my ignorance, but I don't know what I am looking for here. It does say it is an alias, it does give the route to the original, but when I drag that, I get the same alias.

Here is the history of my iTunes setup. I am not sure I have it right, but here goes. My mini-server has 2 HDDs. I originally set up an alias in my Home folder to point to iTunes on my 2nd HDD (not the boot drive), and then moved the media folder to that HDD. I wanted to preserve space on my 1st HDD, and the second one wasn't that full, yet. After buying software over the last couple of years, and putting the samples on HDD2, it started getting a bit congested, so I tried to move the iTunes media folder back to the Home folder. Something didn't work correctly, I don't remember exactly what, but I did delete the alias in the Home folder that pointed to HDD2. I then ended up moving the iTunes folder into my applications folder. I dunno *why* I did that, but that is where it resides currently. Sometimes, I really shouldn't meddle with things, but I'd never experienced any weirdness with aliases before.