Music is an Art

rosessoot

Hi, For me, music can be an art and could possibly produce a healing of mind or a sort of therapy. This makes us feel relax and relatively free our minds from all stress. In music we can reach a state of peace. With our relaxing music we can afford mental and physical relief, motivate ourselves, sleep better, chill, and restore self confidence. I prefer slow music especially when I want a quiet atmosphere. Anyway, I wonder, how others will define music:)

Music is pretty widely used as a theraputic measure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_therapy

The function of music is almost entirely subjective. "Art" is a nebulous term, and like "beauty" is in the eye of the beholder.

Without a doubt, music certainly has had a social function, for as long humans have been around. Music may even have come before speech: http://www.science20.com/science_20/did_music_evolve_language

But, music has many functions. From Mozart to Cannibal Corpse, from Boards of Canada to Schoenberg.

My biggest pet peave is when people say "music is the communication of emotion" or similar. It doesn't have to be, and Schoenberg should be enough proof of that.

Music can induce stress just as much as it can relieve stress. And what decides that is all in the ear of the beholder.

I used to go to sleep to this:

My biggest pet peave is when people say "music is the communication of emotion" or similar. It doesn't have to be, and Schoenberg should be enough proof of that.

Why the peeve, RJS? Are emotions too "soft" for you? 8) Or perhaps too middle class? ( :mrgreen: )

I don't think Schönberg proves anything, as the vast majority of music is still meant to move either the mind or the body or both, and does. Also: put on some Schönberg and I guarantee you'll get an emotional response from whoever hears it... :mrgreen:

Music is uniquely human. Even birds really only talk. We (humans) calling it "song" is a misnomer. When you hear music, you know you hear something human. That alone triggers an emotional response, whether we're aware of it or not.

But, to also accommodate for Schönberg (and you), here's the depeeved statement: "Music is a means of communication, mainly of emotion."