Re-Arranging Channel Strips in the Mixer

• 8 months later...

+1 More custom tabs to have a handy quic, access to doifferent sortings of channels

The custom tab could in itself be a menu of assigned custom mixers! :D

Yeah, I've often thought having a few custom tabs would be great. I can see the functionality of having several under one tab (loads of options, likely more than could actually fit in the mixer's "tab bar") but I'd still like to have individual tabs - with labels - that contained only single mixers, just for the immediate convenience of it - bam, no going into menus, just click on your custom tab.

Then there's the question of how you would set them up. I'm thinking a "create custom mixer" button. You click on it, it turns green, you Shift-select which ever channels you want from your current mixer, then you click it again and now there is a new tab, with a default label which you can rename by double clicking on it. Furthermore, if you want to add more channels to a custom mixer, you could select an existing channel and use key commands to increment the next channel. Hell, you should be able to just drag channels into a mixer tab from other mixers! (And, as mentioned, we also get to re-order the channels in the custom mixers. Something simple like Control-drag.)

So, I vote for both! An uber tab with multiple mixers AND single mixer user tabs. Go Apple, GO!

Any word on progress of this issue? Any work arounds?

See below....*

I've used DAW's from 2003 where you can do this. It's so frustrating when arranging my Aux's. Color coding help but still not enough.

How do other DAWs implement this? Would be useful to know when considering how we want it to work in Logic.

*So yeah, there's workarounds. Here's one more in the attachment below but it involves some thinking and planning, which we won't have to do once Apple gives us our custom mixers!

Features / necessities:

- Create folders by packing dummy regions on tracks of choice.

- Put all those folders in another folder so you can hide it on main Arrange / Tracks window.

- In a separate screenset, put all the folders on a single folder track, size to fit screen and lock the screenset.

- Make sure to yellow link (contents link) the mixer at the bottom.

You can add or subtract tracks by double clicking on any folder and do the usual things that you'd do on the main page, via key commands, the track menu, track header menu and by moving tracks around on the Arrange / Tracks area. So here you can have any mixer you want, with channels strips in any order you want.

After any adjustments within folders, click the locked screenset to return to full view.

In the attached Logic 9 song file, simply click on any folder region at the top of the window to access a particular custom mixer on the bottom. This opening window shows screenset #2. This is not a template that you could use, just something I threw together to show what's possible.

Alright then, back to my Kickstarter / Facebook campaign / Twitter feed exhortations to get Apple to give us this feature. :wink: Or maybe I'll just re-iterate, once again, this necessary feature on Apple's feedback page.

Custom Mixer Kludge.zip

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I agree. There is no reason not to have a more customizable mixer panel. If we are emulating processors, processes, and sounds of the analog days, then we should be able to "re-wire" our digital studio. Izotope recognizes this. I have their Alloy 2 and Ozone 5 and they alloy you to "rewire" the individual units—they even allow parallel compression using to compressors and mixing dry and wet so you can in a few keystrokes have New York Compression.

Beyond the look and feel—which goes to work flow and method—is the "sound." Everybody has a different sound and we are still limited to the rigid effects insert where you can only change the order of inserts. Yes, we can send and return but, this gets tedious after a while. For example, when inserting a meter you have to constantly remember that it is pre-fader. In one situation I had to make a separate sub-group just to have a real metering situation on one bus—so I ended up with two drum busses! Yes, alternately I could solo that bus and read the meter in the master bus, but, that needlessly keeps taking me in and out of the entire mix. I could go on...there are countless little tweaks to a studio setup that we simply do not have.

I would gladly pay for an additional add-on (similar to Izotope's Ozone 5 Advanced).

Jesse Klapholz

Melrose Park/Philly, PA

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Million one, million one, do I hear million one, million two, million two, alright million three, million three, just taking off, yes sir, million four, million four, we're moving along here, million five, million five, gonna hit a billion soon, budda billion, budda billion, budda budda billion, c'mon plus it up, plus it up, do I hear one billion?

Million one, million one, do I hear million one, million two, million two, alright million three, million three, just taking off, yes sir, million four, million four, we're moving along here, million five, million five, gonna hit a billion soon, budda billion, budda billion, budda budda billion, c'mon plus it up, plus it up, do I hear one billion?

LMFAO!!