Silent gaps in audio imported into Logic Pro X

Karim15

Every time I try to import an audio file it adds a little gap of silence at the start and half a second into the track. Tried it with lots of audio files and it’s the same with all of them.

Never had this problem with Logic 9 and I'm importing the same as I did, dragging and dropping.

Any ideas?

Here you go. I’ve changed the extension on the file to .zip because it wouldn't allow me to upload .mp3

I’ve added a screenshot too so you can see the gaps it adds.

Thanks for taking a look.

Something strange is up with that zip. when I download it, it ends up with a weird name and can't extract any audio file from it.

J.

Hi Jordi, thanks for looking into this. No need to extract, just change the extension from .zip to .mp3

Oh I see, normally we just zip the files from the finder before uploading instead of changing the extension.

There seems to be some sort of conflict between Logic and that file, probably because of how the file was encoded...I just imported an mp3 I had here and the problem doesn't occur. Did you encode this file yourself?

You could work around this issue by converting the mp3 to AIFF or WAVE using a program other than Logic. XLD, for example:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23430/x-lossless-decoder

J.

Yeh I encoded it myself. Cut it from the original MP3 with Adobe Audition. However I’m having the same issue with all my MP3 files, both the ones I have and haven't encoded.

What works for now is as you’ve suggested, converting the MP3 files to AIFF (I used iTunes). But to have to do that with every file would take ages. We’re talking my whole collection of sounds and samples which are all MP3s.

Yeh I encoded it myself. Cut it from the original MP3 with Adobe Audition. However I’m having the same issue with all my MP3 files, both the ones I have and haven't encoded.

It would be useful to know which ones are the ones cause this problem, like I said I've tried with some mp3's I have here and I don't get that problem.

What works for now is as you’ve suggested, converting the MP3 files to AIFF (I used iTunes). But to have to do that with every file would take ages. We’re talking my whole collection of sounds and samples which are all MP3s.

I would batch convert all those mp3's to AIFF or WAVE using XLD and be done with it. Leave the mp3's for the iPod :wink:

J.

I don't think it has anything to do with mp3 or ext because I uploaded tracks i've worked with before that never did it in other projects and now they all do it too. a couple days ago I did a simple mashup with 2 tracks, neither split the first and third note, everything was good. today i upload same two tracks to see if i can do it over again and both tracks split at the beginning. not sure what happened between then and now. only thing different i can think of is that mavericks updated.

jwc1185 - Turns out it’s to do with the Mavericks 10.9.2 update. I installed Pro X on a friends laptop who was still on 10.9.1 and it worked as it should. As soon as I updated, the problem started again.

Thanks for the help anyway Jordi.

• 2 weeks later...

Ello everyone! I've creepied on this forum for so long for all my answers about Logic Pro and now i finally made an account because i now have a question!

i currently running Logic Pro X and for some reason whenever i import an audio file from iTunes or sometime, the very start of the audio file gets silenced causing it to clip sometimes!

heres an image of it

13234569764_9d2b37ba02_c.jpg

the file I'm importing is usually an mp3 or m4a and its NEVER has had this problem until recently.

please help!

• 2 weeks later...
any word on a fix on this? (besides downgrading os x)

i do a lot of mashups so this is becoming a real damper on my work :cry:

A fix will have to come from Apple.

A workaround is to batch convert your files to an uncompressed format before importing them in Logic.

Use the free XLD for this:

http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

J.

• 4 weeks later...