Just Upgraded To X... Quite Buggy, isn't it?

krist

I was somewhat expecting that after after a year since its initial release, Apple would have ironed out things and that the software would be pretty solid.

Last night I got so frustrated by the glitches that I started compiling a list of bugs and seemingly random oddities. Notice that I'm using Logic's own set of plug-ins and synth pretty much exclusively, unless otherwise specified.

1 - Bypassing plug-in with playback engaged caused crash (happened at least twice, IIRC). Last time: EXS-24 running through Vocoder.

2 - Display bug - low frequency extends beyond the graph section of the EQ when analyser is turned on.

2 - Time compressing a clip replaced the audio with white noise.

3 - Unfreezing its track caused Alchemy to revert to its default patch.

4 - Trying to manually enter numeric values for a fade in the objet parameter box = no result. Display would revert to default/no value - as if multiple objects were selected, but there was only that clip on the track.

5 - Despite adjusting every possible combination of fade out and crossfades and re-adjusting clips length and trying again for 20 minutes, I couldn't get rid of clicks. Ended up placing the 2 clips on individual tracks and creating much longer fades.

(I realize 5 sounds like a user error - but I've been working with digital audio for over 15 years now, and have performed similar edits in 9 (and other DAWs) seamlessly countless times. I never had to re-draw fades like that. That's when I started writing glitches down.

That's what I gathered in the short time since I've started writing things down last night, after a week or so getting to know Logic X.

In most cases, I assume that these are glitches, not repeatable bugs. In a way, its worst because it makes the application unpredictable.

No 6 - I'd seen that one prior to starting my list last night but it hit me again tonight.

EXS is loaded and I'm browsing instruments the library, auditioning things and navigating with keyboard arrows. Browsing through the instruments in the Orchestral folder, I select "Timpani".

Instead of loading that instrument, another instrument called Timpani residing in an entirely different set of folder/subfolders is loaded and the library now points to that folder. So instead of loading the Timpani from Logic's own orchestral content, it loaded an old converted Soundfont which I kept for compatibility with older projects.

In this case, my solution was to delete the old converted Soundfonts from the Sampler Instruments. EXS24 now loaded the proper instrument.

But I thought it was odd.

PS - FWIW, I do not intend to keep bumping this thread by posting replies every time a new glitch manifest itself - I'll edit this one as needed instead.

EDIT

Later that night...

No 7 Playback of a project (audio only) starts degrading as if sampling rate and bit depth were suddenly reduced. Seems to start with a single track and then quickly spread to the others.

Not the first time I encounter this one, though I'm not sure it was with X - it may have happened with Logic 9 under Mavericks.

Solution - Close project, quit Logic and re-launch.