"Interleaved to Split" No Longer Working As Before (10.0.6)

jasontate

Ok, this is driving me insane, and I've only noticed this issue after upgrading to 10.0.6.

I import a stereo file that has my vocals in one channel and a podcast guest's vocals in the other (file.aiff).

Now, usually what I do is drag the file into my project audio. Then I go to file > copy convert > interleaved to split, and change the name:

http://i.imgur.com/UdzFP57.png

This used to give me two files in my project -- I'd then disconnect them and have all the audio from one channel in one file, all the audio from the other in another -- then I add one to one track, the other to a separate track ... and I have my vocals on one, the podcast guest vocals on the other, and it's therefore easier to make any adjustments I need to the audio. (If there's a better way to do what I'm doing that I don't know about -- would love to hear that as well.)

Anyway: now when I click save, it first says "converting to interleaved":

http://i.imgur.com/NIeOkN4.png

And then I only get one file added to my project (instead of the two L / R ones I did before) ... and I can't split it at all.

What the? Any suggestions?

This is definitely broken.

I tested this with an interleaved AIFF file. After converting the file to Split (leaving the format as AIFF) it gave me a single WAVE :?: file:

1088320920_ScreenShot2014-01-13at14_31_08.png.dfc926ee33f752cd1497ca5aae4686fd.png

Funny thing is that when taking a peek inside my Audio Files folder, I find a couple of .L and .R AIFF files that have also been created:

2134399254_ScreenShot2014-01-13at14_23_25.png.96bb473f7e6e1317d58483629a0ec044.png

....but they don't appear where they're supposed to (Project Audio Browser)

Also, when trying to disconnect the supposedly split (WAVE!) file, I get the following dialog:

329482708_ScreenShot2014-01-13at14_20_24.png.a11a3364bea0eed4dfadb2a7d916d875.png

Trying to manually add the .L and .R AIFF files to the project doesn't work, Logic sees them as being the freak WAVE file.

So, moving this to the Bug Reports forum.

J.

PS: don't forget to send a bug report to Apple:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Ok, glad that I'm not the only one.

What I was able to do to get around this bug in the meantime is this:

1) Do the process as usual, copy convert "interleaved to split"

2) Delete the file from my project audio.

3) Go to the project in the finder and find the separate .R and .L files -- rename them to something different.

4) Import those renamed files into my project.

The renaming process allows them to be imported as two separate files and then I can split them and use them.

Thanks for your help all.

Ok, glad that I'm not the only one.

What I was able to do to get around this bug in the meantime is this:

1) Do the process as usual, copy convert "interleaved to split"

2) Delete the file from my project audio.

3) Go to the project in the finder and find the separate .R and .L files -- rename them to something different.

4) Import those renamed files into my project.

The renaming process allows them to be imported as two separate files and then I can split them and use them.

Thanks for your help all.

Glad you found a workaround...thanks for sharing it with us :)

J.

Hey Jason.

Quality-wise, your podcast is absolutely abysmal.

You need to completely re-think your set-up. May I suggest that focusing on Logic is jumping the gun? Go back to basics - there's people using $20 headsets and Audacity to achieve a result that's way easier on the ears than the AP Podcast.

You could use 100% free stuff, work less and have it sound ten times better.

Hey Jason.

You need to completely re-think your set-up. May I suggest that focusing on Logic is jumping the gun? Go back to basics - there's people using $20 headsets and Audacity to achieve a result that's way easier on the ears than the AP Podcast.

First, this isn't very helpful ... but, um, thanks for the feedback I guess. The mic I use is one of the highest rated podcasting mics I've seen, and think that the vocals on my end come in pretty close to how I want them to sound. I can't really do anything about the mic that's being used by the other guests, as they're guests -- and usually are using whatever they have available -- so I am having to clean up their audio as best I can in post. We're recording the conversation over Skype and I am then also dependent on the guest's internet speed for it not to sound horrible -- if you have suggestions on how to better optimize for that, please let me know. If there's something specific that makes the quality "absolutely abysmal" please let me know so I can figure out what it is and what the problem is.

If you have suggestions on how to "do this better with free software," I'd love to hear it / read about it / learn more about it ... just telling me it's possible doesn't help me at all.

Hey Jason.

First, this isn't very helpful ... but, um, thanks for the feedback I guess. The mic I use is one of the highest rated podcasting mics I've seen, and think that the vocals on my end come in pretty close to how I want them to sound. I can't really do anything about the mic that's being used by the other guests, as they're guests -- and usually are using whatever they have available -- so I am having to clean up their audio as best I can in post. We're recording the conversation over Skype and I am then also dependent on the guest's internet speed for it not to sound horrible -- if you have suggestions on how to better optimize for that, please let me know. If there's something specific that makes the quality "absolutely abysmal" please let me know so I can figure out what it is and what the problem is.

If you have suggestions on how to "do this better with free software," I'd love to hear it / read about it / learn more about it ... just telling me it's possible doesn't help me at all.

Definitely.

I never said you've got bad equipment, it's just that this is a very obvious case of skipping the basics. I've got a friend who records with a U87 and it sounds f$@%ing awful. Any mic can sound bad if you never bothered to figure out how to use it.

I'm available via pm. You need to rethink and simplify, which can be done in a plethora of ways depending on what the biggest culprit is.

• 4 weeks later...

The easiest solution to the original poster's question is simply to drag his two channel interleaved file to two separate tracks and select "L" for one and "R" for the other in the channel strip (be sure that "Channel strip Component" Input/Instrument is selected, then click the circle on a mono or linked circles on a stereo track).

If you need to edit the two channels independently, make a copy of the file.

I've posted my issues with Split files in 10.0.6 here.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=104576

My concern is that I do not want redundant interleaved files since LPX can handle split files nicely, once it gets them.

Also here: https://discussions.apple.com/message/24882737?ac_cid=op123456#24882737

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers all.

Similar has been suggested, but this may be a little quicker, without having to open an new Finder window,

1. Right-click the audio file waveform, and select 'Convert to New Audio File(s)' as usual,

2. Select "interleaved to split" as usual

3. In the top of the window where you can edit your file name (Save As:), just add an "L" or "R" to the end of the name- after a period (e.g. VeryLoudDrumSound .L or LessAutotuneplease.R)

Since "L" or "R" aren't valid file extensions, you'll be prompted to "Use Both" "Cancel" or "Use .aif/wav/etc."

4. Click "Use both" and file should appear in the bin. I was able to drag the mono file directly into the desired track

(e.g. VeryLoudDrumSound.L.aif)

Sort of new to Logic after using Pro Tools since 2006 (I dabbled with a few DAWs before settling on PT). The transition has been outstanding I have to say, and I think it's actually kind of funny to see how many similarities there are between all the programs at this point. A handful of the Logic plugins have quite a few similarities to their RTAS counterparts, plus I used to run some VST/AU > RTAS converters so getting up and running has been a breeze.

• 2 months later...
This is definitely broken.

I tested this with an interleaved AIFF file. After converting the file to Split (leaving the format as AIFF) it gave me a single WAVE :?: file:

ArabicBounce.pst.zipScreen Shot 2014-01-13 at 14.23.25.png[/attachment]

....but they don't appear where they're supposed to (Project Audio Browser)

Also, when trying to disconnect the supposedly split (WAVE!) file, I get the following dialog:

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2014-01-13 at 14.20.24.png[/attachment]

Trying to manually add the .L and .R AIFF files to the project doesn't work, Logic sees them as being the freak WAVE file.

This hasn't been fixed in 10.0.7 :(

J.

• 1 year later...

Just encountered this in 10.2 - perhaps it's already mentioned but this still doesn't seem fixed..!

I also encounter the same error if I just choose to bounce the main output channel as a split stereo file - then I get two interleaved stereo files, one ending with L and the other with R.