Using one virtual instrument to trigger another (sidechain)

David Nahmani

• 2 months later...

Hey Lagerfeldt,

I like the overall lush vocal treatments here - (verb & delay?) (for this type of FX).... Could you/would you be so kind as to explain your vocal channel strip settings/plugins?

thanks

Eric

I can't remember exactly but it's just a Logic standard delay and CSR reverb (Hall). I probably sent a bit of delay to the reverb too.

A nice trick is to de-ess on the reverb bus *before* the reverb, i.e. insert a de-esser on the bus followed by the reverb.

Use a de-esser that has broadband capabilities, that sounds most natural.

That avoids the nasty sibilance explosions in the reverb when you want to smear on lots of reverb.

Same trick can be used before the delay.

Hey Guys, cheers for this tip. I've been having good fun experimenting with new sounds. Question: Instead of sending the Sculpture to BUS 9 and side chaining the ES1, is it possible to do the reverse? Set the Sculpture to side chain the ES1 or another plugin? I have had a play around but where would you set the parameters to EXT and then drop the Mix from Wave to Sub in Sculpture?

Hope that makes sense?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
How do you use the side chain in Sculpture?

Edit: found the 'external' source for 'object 2'

Also see:

Sculpture Sidechain with Drum Loop.

Is it impossible to have the whole thing being sourced by a sidechain?

It's possible: just use Obj 2 set on external and turn off the other objects.

Right.

What about the ES2? Can't see an 'ext' patch in the oscilator switch

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hey guys have quick question hoping someone can help me.

I am using a bass line in es2 with a compressor on it, side-chained to the kick.

My question is, can I somehow auotomate the cutoff in the es2, with the volume fluctuation created by the side-chain compressor, to give that bwa bwa dubstep sound while working off the kick? I'm sure producers do this sort of thing all the time.

if not is there another way to do the same thing?

any help would be much appreciated thank you!

• 9 months later...

:cry:

I followed this exact step by step but there are things im mis understanding.

In this example, I have created two Audio Instrument track in my Arrange window, and inserted ES 1 on the first, and Sculpture on the second. I will use Sculpture to trigger the ES 1.

This already confuses me "two audio insrument tracks"? How can you have sculpture and es1 (midi synthesizers) on an audio track. Didn't understand this so I just assumed you meant midi tracks.

Another problem is es1 by itself (after setting to ext, and the sub osc down) does not produce any sound by itself.

I inputed midi into the sculpture and the es1 and no sound changes. I even turn off the output of the bus 9, which just completely turned off the sound.

I just hope there isn't something missing in these steps that you assume I should know already.

I have even done the side chain sections in the advance logic book and this still doesn't make sense. You talk a lot about midi, and then talk about audio signals and tracks how do these relate?

This already confuses me "two audio insrument tracks"? How can you have sculpture and es1 (midi synthesizers) on an audio track. Didn't understand this so I just assumed you meant midi tracks.

This article was written a while ago. Back then, what's now called a "software instrument" (which is what you want to create) was called an "audio instrument".

Another problem is es1 by itself (after setting to ext, and the sub osc down) does not produce any sound by itself.

That's correct, but that is not a problem for this application, since you actually want to use the ES1 to process another sound, not to produce sound by itself.

If you want to share your project here I can look at it and tell you what you're missing.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
I am using a bass line in es2 with a compressor on it, side-chained to the kick.

My question is, can I somehow auotomate the cutoff in the es2, with the volume fluctuation created by the side-chain compressor, to give that bwa bwa dubstep sound while working off the kick?

Yup! You can do that in the ES2. Take the sidechain signal from your bass drum and feed it into your ES2. Then in your modulation routing, sidechain modulates filter cutoff. For heavier stuff, drive your filter and have your sidechain also modulate "OscScl".

Could you route this into ES2s sidechain as well? I know it's sidechain capable, but to me it looks like the sidechain is only for modulation routings.

You're correct, the ES2 side chain is routed to an envelope follower and you can use that signal to modulate an ES2 parameter. Whereas the ES1 side chain is routed to the audio path, allowing you to hear that audio but filtering it through the synth's filter.