Multitimbral plugins with single stereo output

Fred B

In Logic the usage of multitimbral plugins is generally problematic because midi controllers cc7 (volume) and cc10 (pan) are not sent into the plugin but used instead to control the output of the audio instrument. Consequently these controllers can not be used to control the individual midi channels of the plugin.

For multitimbral plugins with *multiple* audio output channels there is a general solution by controlling the individual output (aux) channels.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=3017

Of course this doesn't work for multitimbral plugins with *single* stereo output. The general solution/workaround is to use multiple instances. However, it defeats somehow the purpose of multitimbral plugins and may substantially increase cpu load.

Now I've found a general and efficient solution to this problem. The simple trick is to 'smuggle' cc7 and cc10 into the plugin as different controllers and remap to the original controllers within the plugin. In Logic it's easy to transform controllers but how to manage the remapping? For this we need to embed the plugin in some programmable environment like eg. Plogue Bidule. In fact, the Bidule AU plugin is itself an AU host and thus can be used as programmable realtime AU wrapper.

Sounds quite complicated but easy in practice. Bidule is a powerful graphical system with cabling facilities similar to Logic's environment. And no, I'm not related in any way to the company.

I've tested this method with DLSMusicDevice as plugin and mappings cc7<->cc8 and cc10<->cc9. It works perfectly. Note that the method can also be used for multitimbral plugins with multiple outputs (eg. Kontakt) in case you don't want to mess around with aux objects.

Any comments/questions are welcome.

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps it's time to take a step back. I purchased NI Banstand because I was led to believe it would be an easy way (like Roland's VSC on the PC) to create "respectable" sounding MIDI files. Bandstand's 2.5GB of sounds have inconsistent sound quality but more importantly it does not operate under Intel Mac. (This will hopefully soon change.) When it does , it does not operate multitimbrally. (Vol, Pan, etc, get sent to main output of plugin.)

I am new to the MAC. What is the easiest way to produce good sounding midi files quickly on the MAC preferable under Logic? (short of creating separate instances of plugins for each track)

By the way, Plogue is available as a demo on their site:

http://www.plogue.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=31&func=selectcat&cat=1

Is there a "step-by-step" walk-thru to using Plogue with Logic 7.2?

Cheers

Paul

The only easy way I know to play MIDI files with Logic (ie. without external device) is to use Apple's Quicktime.

Regarding Plogue it should be noted that the demo is available only for the standalone version. But my "solution" requires the Bidule AU plugin. It can be used in Logic like any other AU plugin. However, to implement my tricky solution you need some good knowledge of Logic's environment as well as Bidule's programming concept.

The only easy way I know to play MIDI files with Logic (ie. without external device) is to use Apple's Quicktime.

Well, you can also obviously use any of the bundled virtual instruments that come with Logic. A quickly thrown together collection of EXS24s is going to give you a much better result than the Quicktime instrument.

• 4 weeks later...
Perhaps it's time to take a step back. I purchased NI Banstand because I was led to believe it would be an easy way (like Roland's VSC on the PC) to create "respectable" sounding MIDI files... What is the easiest way to produce good sounding midi files quickly on the MAC preferable under Logic? (short of creating separate instances of plugins for each track)

Cheers

Paul

I am puzzeled by this post. First it may just be the terminology used but you cannot "create a respectable sounding midi file". Midi files in themselves have no sound they are just instructions on how to play a piece of music.The same midi file will sound different on different systems. To get a midi file to sound respectable on your system you need respectable instruments to play it. Now, any of Logics instruments are respectable if not better. There is nothing wrong with putting seperate instances of a plug on each track unless you are worried about proccesor power. You can get around this by freezing that track thus reducing the load on the processor. Other than the DLS music device which is GM (ie not respectable) you will need a multi channel tone generator which is not available in logic. If you have a keyboard with one and you like its sounds you could try that. Any program change in a midi file is not going to translate

well unless 1. You have the exact same instrument that was used when the programmer put the change in or 2. It is a GM program change and in this case you could probably do better than whatever this instrument is anyway.Yes you could be lazy and put a DLS music device in but the result will not sound as good as putting in one of logics instruments and taking some time to find some patches that in the end will sound better.

• 7 years later...

Create a Transformer Object.

Set the Transformer to look like the picture.

Transporter.png.d05d51c8e7c1a22fd611e4f9916c1ab6.png

Then:

Cable your instrument track to a Multi Object.

Cable the multi object to the Transformer.

Cable the Transformer's top port to a Channel Splitter.

Cable the Transformer's bottom cable to the instrument track.

Cable the Channel Splitter to Aux tracks respectively.

*Don't use midi channel 1 anywhere.

Now 7 & 11 are split out the top cable, and allocated to channel 1, therefor you can use 2-16 on a separate Aux/ArrangeChannel strip and control 7 & 11 independently on each track.

Edited by MatthewPSorensen