Uninstalling Logic Studio

David Nahmani

I am looking into uninstalling Logic Studio as i have now bought Logic 9, and have got rid of my L8 license. Therefore i need to uninstall all L8 installed files.

As Logic comes from a .mpkg install file, then is it not possible to use the mkpg to uninstall. I know it's possible to uninstall in this way for other programs from the command line, i assume that there is a way to do this for Logic Studio.

Thanks.

• 5 months later...

I'm trying to remove Logic 9 so I can reinstall 8. I used Appzapper at first and then manually removed the files that were left but it still says when I try to install logic 8 that there is a newer version installed.

I've definitely deleted all the files listed in the first post, I've checked multiple times but no luck. Anyone know something else I can try?

Snow Leopard

I couldn't find anything I need on that site as it only says to put the app into the trash which I can't do as I used Appzapper to remove it previously. Is there any other way to search for any file related to Logic that I may have missed?

Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...
I've just noticed that none of the receipts are on my computer, I've tried searching for them but no luck, anyone know why this might be?

There's two Receipts folders:

/Library/Receipts/

~/Library/Receipts/

Plus, in Snow Leopard there's a third one, which is hidden:

/private/var/db/receipts/

J.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
I know this is an older thread, but I'm looking to move my license from my MBP to the new Mac Pro I'll be getting. Is there an easy way to change the license from one to the other and do I have to uninstall as well? I'm new to the forum and Logic so there might be a newer thread, can anyone direct me to that? Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Doing this to my laptop and I can't remember what the difference is between

/ and ~/.

Does ~/ indicate User folder and just / indicate Mac HD folder?

I think just I did the opposite.

If so does it make any difference if I remove all these from both User and Mac HD?

Does ~/ indicate User folder and just / indicate Mac HD folder?

Yes.

/ indicates your system drive's root, so the Macintosh HD/ folder.

~/ is your home folder, which is /Users/{your-user-name}/

If so does it make any difference if I remove all these from both User and Mac HD?

If you want to completely uninstall from your machine, you should remove these from both locations, yes.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

A little note regarding receipts:

since 10.6 deleting the *.pkg is not enough anymore.

!!!USE THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

I.e. to remove the soundtrack pro receipt you would have to run

sudo pkgutil --forget com.apple.pkg.SoundtrackPro

Taken from

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3659

Edit: Most official information regarding Logic Studio and other Apple pro apps removals can be found in their corresponding troubleshooting basics articles.

hi all. if i change my mac, i must remove or copy Logic Studio System ID ?? thx a lot

This will not work, the systemID file ties your Logic Serial to the system serial. So if you change the computer, the system serial is different and you will be asked for your serial.

It is recommended to make a clean install of logic if you move to a new system.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello folks. Sorry if I missed the answer somewhere but, about those listed files we need to delete at our own risk. If I exclude the ones with "GarageBand" in the name, and delete the others, will GarageBand still be affected or can I get away with it for deleting Logic Pro and saving GarageBand?

I found this thread really helpful, but I'm hesitating since I'm not familiar either with Mac or the products at all.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers,

Burak

Burak, some of the files used by GarageBand not necessarily have "GarageBand" in their name or the name of the folder containing them. For example GarageBand uses impulse response, or soundtrack pro content etc. What are you trying to do? Why do you need to delete Logic? Maybe you could delete Logic but keep the content, which would avoid GB having problems finding that content down the line.

Oh, I see. The thing is, I had an incomplete installation at first then I tried to remove it by simply moving Logic Pro and others (Mainstage, Soundtrack Pro etc.) to Trash. When I tried to install it again, I was unable to tick Compressor and Soundtrack Pro (which I guess is a different topic). I was then able to run Logic Pro, however I'm not satisfied with the two programs missing from my system, additionally I can't get Mainstage to launch (I don't know why, it just freezes at "Initializing graphics...", maybe I just haven't been patient enough). So, long story short I want to make a complete proper installation (without the JamPacks) including all the other programs. As an experienced Windows user, I thought removing all contents and re-installing would be the best solution, maybe I wasn't right? :? I basically wanted to get it right before I start anything.

As an experienced Windows user, I thought removing all contents and re-installing would be the best solution, maybe I wasn't right?

Well as you've discovered the problem is that some of the content used by those programs is shared. So if you remove it when uninstalling one app, it will no longer be available to other apps.

If there's anyway you can afford to do that, I would recommend a clean Mac OS X reinstall, followed by a clean Logic Studio reinstall.

If you cannot afford to do that, then you could use Pacifist to get the missing content from your install drives.

Best of luck. If you need more advice specific to your problem, please do start a new thread in the "Logic" forum - thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Dear David,

I have been directed to this thread as I have recently installed mackeeper, which has completely killed logic pro 9. It appears that the binaries cutter in the fast clean up section has brutalised some "unused" parts of the application.

Logic keeps crashing at load up whilst searching for the AU "SpeechSynthesis".

Would you recommend the complete re installation? Or s there maybe of founding out which parts have been cut and replacing them? I know that I am not the only person with this problem and any help would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

David,

Thanks a lot for this information; I just spent the last few hours locating and moving all my files manually from one system to another... install CDs are in another city right now!

Everything is working so far, except for the receipts... I now realize snow leopard works a bit differently, and found a whole bunch of them in /private/var/db/. I would really like to continue to use automatic updates, so just wanted to check – will copying these files over let me do that?

Thanks for your help!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello

I need to uninstall Logic Pro 9 and reinstall it after formatting my hard disk. Two questions:

1) do you have a similar list for Logic Pro 9 files, settings, receipts license etc.? (I still use Lion)

2) Since I cannot see Logic Pro 9 on the Apple Store, but only Logic Pro 10, does it mean that I will have to upgrade to the ver. 10?

3) Any advice on the OS X? should I stay with Lion or move to Mountain Lion or even Maverick? Any improvement for Logic on the newer OS?

thanks!

massimo57

Here is an attempt to list all the files and folders you should remove from your hard drive to completely uninstall Logic Studio (Logic Pro 8 and all other apps, content and dependent files). Since no two systems are alike, no two installs are alike, and installs vary greatly depending on the version, the way they were updated, other apps that may use common files, etc...please make sure your backups are up to date and USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Application Files

/Applications/Compressor

/Applications/Logic Node

/Applications/Logic Pro

/Applications/MainStage

/Applications/Soundtrack Pro

/Applications/WaveBurner

/Applications/Utilities/Apple Loops Utility

/Applications/Utilities/Impulse Response Utility

Factory Settings, Instruments

/Library/Application Support/Logic/

/Library/Application Support/Garageband/

/Library/Application Support/Garageband Content/ (Legacy)

/Library/Application Support/Soundtrack Pro/

/Library/Application Support/WaveBurner/

Impulse Responses

/Library/Audio/Impulse Responses/

Receipts

Receipts can vary quite a bit depending on your system. Try to find all those that look like the following:

/Library/Receipts/AudioContentforSoundtrackProXX.pkg

/Library/Receipts/CompressorXX.pkg

/Library/Receipts/EXS24SamplerLibrarySamples.pkg

/Library/Receipts/EXS24SamplerLibraryStudio.pkg

/Library/Receipts/GarageBandXX.pkg

/Library/Receipts/ImpulseData.pkg

/Library/Receipts/ImpulseResponseUtility.pkg

/Library/Receipts/JamPackXX.pkg

/Library/Receipts/LogicXX.pkg

/Library/Receipts/MainStageXX.pkg

/Library/Receipts/RemixToolsXX.pkg

/Library/Receipts/RhythmSectionXX.pkg

/Library/Receipts/SharedLogicStudioHelpFiles.pkg

/Library/Receipts/SoundtrackProXX.pkg

/Library/Receipts/UltrabeatXX.pkg

/Library/Receipts/WaveburnerXX.pkg

User Preferences:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.plist

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.cs

~/Library/Preferences/Logic/ (Legacy preferences)

License

/Library/Application Support/ProApps/Logic Studio System ID

Apple Loops

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Apple Loops for GarageBand/

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Apple Loops for Soundtrack Pro/

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/iLife Sound Effects/

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Jam Pack 1/

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Jam Pack Remix Tools/

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Jam Pack Rhythm Section/

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Jam Pack Symphony Orchestra/

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Jam Pack World Music/

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops Index/