• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hey all

i knew the technique, though i used to select in the compressor side chain input, the kick audio channel instead of a bus ... this way you don't have to create a bus (is it somehow better to create a bus and send it to the side chain compressor input ?? )

my other question is :

what if i want to use a compressor on the bass ( to sculpt its sound so it fits better in the mix, add some decay, or lower the level of the loud notes ....etc) and still want to use the ducking method described in the .pdf with the kick ...

right now, what i do is first insert a compressor on the bass channel to sculpt the sound

and then insert another compressor after the first one for the ducking trick ...

am i doing correctly or is there a cleaner way to do this ?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Great PDF. Use this technique alot already but makes for good reading. I usually, on the bus you send your kick to change the output to 'no output' then the bus is purely for the sidechain process and doesn't affect your mix but the signal although inaudible still affects the compressor.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I was wondering why you would bother to send the kick signal through a bus to activate the compressor if you could just choose the kick directly as side-chain?

Because his example uses a software instrument. Those don't appear as a direct side-chain input option like audio channels do.

J.

• 5 years later...

This is a great tutorial. I realize this is an 8 year old thread but I thought I'd toss out some kudos anyway. It's exactly how I would have done it. Unfortunately, that method doesn't seem to work in Logic Pro X with Summing Stack Tracks. It seems you now have to use the Gate and select the "Duck" mode.

For instance, the project I was working on had two Summing Track Stacks—one with all of the background music and sound effects and one with the voice over tracks. It was a movie trailer, so in order to get the mix right, I needed just a bit of ducking on all the background effects so the VO cut through well. I tried using a compressor with the bus for the VO Track Stack for the side chain. It did not work. I have no idea why. It should have. Every other DAW I've ever worked with would have done it fine. But, in Logic Pro X, no joy.

However, I set up the Gate on the Background Track Stack (no extra bus needed) and selected the bus for the VO Track Stack, selected the "Duck" option, and viola! Instant joy. For the record, I also tried the old Ducker, which you can still get by holding down the Option key when you click to add the plugin then go to Legacy. It didn't work either. 

So, from what I can tell, if you want to duck more than one track at a time, you now have to use the Duck option in the Gate plugin, then select the side chain you want. No need for an extra bus anymore.