LPX Control Multiple Instruments on Different MIDI Channels

Logic Pro Tips (No questions in this forum)

LPX Control Multiple Instruments on Different MIDI Channels

Postby David Nahmani » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:17 am

Controlling multiple instruments on different MIDI channels in Logic is easy, and it does not require you to ever open the environment! It also allows you to record different controller keyboards on different software instrument or external MIDI tracks. Whether you're trying to use an external sequencer (like an MPC 2000, or even another computer running Logic) to trigger instruments within Logic, or whether you're simply trying to play different instruments using different MIDI controllers, read on.

1. Put Logic in Multiplayer Mode
In Logic Pro X, choose File > Project Settings > Recording, and under MIDI, select Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording.

auto demix.png
auto demix.png (59.44 KiB) Viewed 13755 times

2. Set Each Controller Keyboard's MIDI Channel
Choose a MIDI channel for each controller, and refer to each controller's manual to see how to change the MIDI channel they transmit on.
You can skip that step if you're using an MPC or another external MIDI sequencer (where tracks already transmits MIDI data on their own channel).

3. Set Each Logic Track's MIDI Channel
In Logic, set each instrument track's MIDI channel parameter so they are triggered by the controller sending on that channel.

MIDI Channel.png
MIDI Channel.png (93.27 KiB) Viewed 13755 times

4. Record-arm each Logic track

tracks.png
tracks.png (53.98 KiB) Viewed 13755 times
Last edited by David Nahmani on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
David Nahmani
 Apple Certified Logic Pro Master Trainer
Author of Logic Pro X - Professional Music Production (Apple Pro Training Series)
Logic Pro X 10.0.6 - Mac OS 10.8.4 - Mac Pro 8 core 2.8 GHz Intel Xeon - 6GB RAM - Metric Halo ULN2
David Nahmani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kongwee » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:45 am

This is really helpful. I been searching for the easy way. My synth mix easier.
kongwee

Postby JaeOne3345 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:43 am

This works fine when using Plug in instruments, but what about rewire instruments from Reason

When you create an external midi instrument and convert it to a Reason Rewired instrument, the inspector doesn't give you the option to set up a receive channel. I see "bus and channel" but they do not respond the same way as a plug in channel in logic.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
2.4 MacBook Pro, Logic Pro 8, M-Audio 1814, Apogee Duet, Midisport 2x2, Logic 8.02, PT 7.4, E-Mu Sp-1200, Akai S950, MPC 1000, Ensoniq EPS 16+
JaeOne3345

Postby learnmedia » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:52 am

You forgot to include step 4 which is to record enable each track.
learnmedia

Postby JaeOne3345 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:12 pm

You need to arm the track in order to be able to monitor the plug in you are triggering from the mpc, don't you? You wouldn't need to record until you finally commit to recording the data after the song/beat is complete on the mpc.
2.4 MacBook Pro, Logic Pro 8, M-Audio 1814, Apogee Duet, Midisport 2x2, Logic 8.02, PT 7.4, E-Mu Sp-1200, Akai S950, MPC 1000, Ensoniq EPS 16+
JaeOne3345

Postby David Nahmani » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:46 pm

JaeOne3345 wrote:You need to arm the track in order to be able to monitor the plug in you are triggering from the mpc, don't you? You wouldn't need to record until you finally commit to recording the data after the song/beat is complete on the mpc.

You are correct. OK so I edited the original post. Now I'll need to reorganize the pictures... as soon as I have a minute.
David Nahmani
Author of Logic Pro X - Professional Music Production (Apple Pro Training Series)
Logic Pro X 10.0.6 - Mac OS 10.8.4 - Mac Pro 8 core 2.8 GHz Intel Xeon - 6GB RAM - Metric Halo ULN2
David Nahmani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Beats » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:22 am

Something that I noticed when playing two controllers simultaneously is that:

While having both software instrument tracks flagged for recording, if my channel 1 track was highlighted, I could play both controllers simultaneously real-time with no contamination of inputs. If I had my channel 2 track highlighted, controller for channel ID 1 would control both track's input, while channel 2 controller would only supply input to the channel 2 track.

Is this "just me" or is this the expected behavior? If so, you might want to mention that in your tutorial.

Cheers.
Beats

Postby Fred B » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:26 pm

Beats wrote:Something that I noticed when playing two controllers simultaneously is that:

While having both software instrument tracks flagged for recording, if my channel 1 track was highlighted, I could play both controllers simultaneously real-time with no contamination of inputs. If I had my channel 2 track highlighted, controller for channel ID 1 would control both track's input, while channel 2 controller would only supply input to the channel 2 track.

Is this "just me" or is this the expected behavior? If so, you might want to mention that in your tutorial.

No, that's not expected behavior, and I can't reproduce it.
There seems something special with your setup.
Try to disable and re-enable the rec buttons and see if the behavior persists.
(I've noticed that the tracks must be rec-armed after the channel assignment is done.)
2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | OS X 10.5.8 | Logic 8
Fred B

Postby Beats » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:44 pm

Fred B wrote:
Beats wrote:Something that I noticed when playing two controllers simultaneously is that:

No, that's not expected behavior, and I can't reproduce it.
There seems something special with your setup.
Try to disable and re-enable the rec buttons and see if the behavior persists.
(I've noticed that the tracks must be rec-armed after the channel assignment is done.)

Hmm... I just tested it again and still have the same behavior. I have two midi ports or devices via USB... one midi controller is connected to the M-Audio Uno and the other midi controller is connected to the M-Audio Fast Track Pro.
Beats

Postby Fred B » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:26 pm

Quote from the manual:

If no track with a corresponding channel number is found,
the event will be routed, and recorded, onto the selected track.

So I'd suspect that your controllers are not strictly sending on channel 1 and 2 only.
2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | OS X 10.5.8 | Logic 8
Fred B

Postby Beats » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:42 pm

Fred B wrote:Quote from the manual:

If no track with a corresponding channel number is found,
the event will be routed, and recorded, onto the selected track.

So I'd suspect that your controllers are not strictly sending on channel 1 and 2 only.

Hmm, that may be the case. I think the Drum Kit Controller is suspect for that. I Just e-mailed their tech support posing the question.

Thanks for taking a look at this Fred, much appreciated.
Beats

Postby Ntuition » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:04 pm

I am using a midisport UNO with fantom, mpc4000, and logic. I cant seem to trigger any sounds from logic when I use the mpc and fantom as a controller. Logic is apparently receiving the midi information (the notes are showing up in the midi in section) but I am getting no sound. Whats wrong?
Ntuition

I feel stupid.....

Postby dragontheory » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:36 pm

I just posted a huge post on the exact topic asking for help on the is...... Thankyou....
dragontheory

Re: I feel stupid.....

Postby David Nahmani » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:09 pm

dragontheory wrote:I just posted a huge post on the exact topic asking for help on the is...... Thankyou....
:D
David Nahmani
David Nahmani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Anydraw » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:38 am

Hi there, I'm stuck on a point if anyone has an idea that could help??

I have an RME multiface II, the midi out sends control messages to my mpc, all synced, all good.
I have a crappy m-audio controller keyboard that connects via usb and I'd like to use it to program the usual but when I connect it the RME's midi drops out. Is there a way to make an aggregate midi device or is there a simpler solution? Any help welcomed.

Cheers
MacBook Pro 2.4 Core Duo
4 GB RAM
Logic 9.0.2 / Reason 4.0.1 / Pro Tools 7.4.2
OS 10.5.8
Sonodyne SMK 100's
RME MultiFace II / Apogee Mini DAC
Bunch Of Outboard and Mics
Anydraw

Postby TheSoundKilla » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:27 pm

hey david.
this works perfectly with my mpc channels 1-16 out of midi port A
but i want to use more logic sounds!!! so how do i set it up so i have another 16 midi channels in logic controlled by midi port B?

thanks!!!
Logic. 8.2 macbook pro. osx. 10.4.11 3 gigs of ram and a digidesign mbox 2
TheSoundKilla

Recording Utrabeat with an external multichannel instrument

Postby Creaseman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:18 am

David, I am an advanced novice with my new DAW. My DAW consist of Reason, 2 euphonix mixers, Korg M3, Shure microphone, 24 inch dual screens, Mac Pro 3.2ghz (2)quad processors, 20GB RAM, 1.5TB HD inwhich I use Logic Studio as my host apllication. The million dollar question I have for you is, Is it possible to simulatenously record Logic's Utrabeat and my Korg M3? :shock:

Sincere Peace,
Crease
2 x 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 18 GB RAM OS X 6.7 Logic 9.1.3 Apogee Ensemble Korg M3 Euphonix MC Control & Mixer Superior Drummer 2.0
Creaseman

mdi verses audio

Postby grg1540 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:39 am

so, i found your info very helpful and will utilize when appropriate.

what i am doing at the moment is running my mpc into logic via real audio using the sounds in my mpc.

they record fine.

how do i increase the number of allowed audi tracks to record.

initially, logic only offered 4 tracks to record on when clicking on the input tab in the channel strip.

so i went to my settings,(audio) and preferences (audio) and i did not see an option to increase the number of tracks to record audio.

i am still stuck on 4 tracks only as an option in my channel strips.

thanks so much.

by the way, i purchased your book and i am going through the chapters.

invaluable. i am started from the top and even though i am doing very well on my own, i am not skipping anything.

i am going to get certified someday.

g
MACBOOK PRO
LOGIC PRO 9.1
ABLETON 7
NI MASCHINE, FANTOM XR, PRESONUS FIREPOD
OXYGEN 8, KRK'S VXT 8'S
grg1540

Logic and external MIDI Devices

Postby madisonws65 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:35 am

I am newer to Logic and have enjoyed using the internal sounds and samples that come with it. I also bought the Logic book by David, but haven't gotten into it yet.

I want to be able to control my external rack modules, and play them back after recording the MIDI track. When I set it up, I can see that the Triton Rack is receiving MIDI data, but nothing records in Logic, nor do I hear any sound coming from the modules, though I can if I record them as an audio track.

Suggetions?

My setup is:
Yamaha MO8, MIDISPORT 2x2, Triton Rack, XV-3080, CX-3, Logic Studio, MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB SATA 7200RPM internal drive.
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, Leopard 10.5.2, Logic Express 8, Cubase 4.1, Yamaha MO8, Triton Pro, XV-3080, Triton Rack, Korg CX-3, Yamaha Baby Grand.
madisonws65

midi help

Postby acousticdrum » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:59 pm

Thanks so much David - works as advertised, midi problem resolved. Do you know how to re-insert hair after it has been pulled out!!!
acousticdrum

Next

Return to Tips and Tricks