Apple OS X Mavericks FREE available today

Maybe they want everyone to update so they can take advantage of the new features.

But I thought that new features was the selling point of previous OS upgrades.

I'm still a little confused.

Not that I'm complaining about a free upgrade (in fact I probably won't even utilize it soon) but it's just a little perplexing.

Must be a marketing aspect behind it.

How many older programs will run on Mavericks?

Did seem a little confusing at first but now it makes sense to get users upgraded to the latest os x.

I don't want to influence anyone into upgrading but I had a go on my Sons developer version last week and Logic X was fine. He was showing me on a MacBook Pro and it was very nice, apps were opening really quickly.

Still I'll do a little browsing before upgrading...

Mavericks will be free! :D

Sure this isn't a prank?

If not, why would Apple offer a new OS for free? I don't think they've done that ever before.

Everything up until System 7.0 was free. If I remember my Apple history, they monetized the OS due to a high distribution rate and as a way to push back against losses elsewhere. I could be wrong, though, and we're at a point in history now where trying to Google/Bing "Apple" and "OS" and "system" and "7" and "cost", etc., will not easily bring us old info, since too many of the words in there match current news and blog post titles ("No, dammit, Google, I did NOT mean 'iOS'!! :evil: ").

logic8: Purchases or Updates tab of the Mac App Store.

Yes, I see that there is a button that says, download but does not show any status... Originally, when I clicked download, the desktop went into what I assume is a Mavericks demo. But, silly me, I have work to do in prep for tonight and I opened my apps and now I'm in the dark... :|

Nothing shows in the Updates tab...

I get the sense from weird things I've seen with the App Store before that it's just a shell app for HTML, and things don't always update properly if there's a server connection issue (when I went back to the Mavericks page, the button went from "Downloading" to "Download" back to "Downloading" on its own). If that's the case, it may be a result of server stress.

Regardless, you can always hover over the Launchpad* icon in the Dock for download information, or just open it to see an iOS6-esque download progress indicator.

(when I went back to the Mavericks page, the button went from "Downloading" to "Download" back to "Downloading" on its own). If that's the case, it may be a result of server stress.

Yep, that was happening to me also...

Regardless, you can always hover over the Launchpad* icon in the Dock for download information, or just open it to see an iOS6-esque download progress indicator.

ROFL... Oh, that's the name of this thing I've never used- Launchpad... lol...

Thanks, I see it there- though not at all detailed (60% remaining, etc...)

When I mouse over the launchpad I can see the download progress (3.27 GB out of 5.57 GB or something like that). I can also click the Launchpad to open it and I can see that info on top of the OS X Mavericks icon.

I can also see that information listed in the App Store during the download.

Thanks Dave,

I think I'll try again tomorrow. There is no longer anything showing under the Purchases tab in the App Store, though it still shows in Launchpad...

You should see it down in your Dock as well as in Launchpad.

I'll clarify, I see it in the Launchpad icon in the dock, if that is what you are referring to and when I open Launchpad there is an 'X' Icon. There is no indication of any progress or actual downloading however...

Thanks

I think what he meant is that when you install a new app from the MAS, it shows up at the end of the dock with that same iOS 6 progress bar, for the duration of the download/install. But it doesn't do that with OS installers, I don't think.

Fair guess, it's downloading, and you're just not getting much information about it because servers are slammed.

When I mouse over the launchpad I can see the download progress (3.27 GB out of 5.57 GB or something like that). I can also click the Launchpad to open it and I can see that info on top of the OS X Mavericks icon.

No such info when i hover over Launchpad. My daughter has an iMac with Mountain Lion and hers shows download status, her MPB running Snow Leopard does not. Despite my Signature, where I inserted Mavericks as a joke of sorts, I am still on Lion. That may be the reason for now status showing…

Thanks again guys… peace...