Logic Pro 9.1.6 released

Apple releases Logic Pro 9.1.6

This update requires Mac OS 10.6.8 or later.

Compatibility

On OS X Lion 10.7, "Revert to Saved" is now possible after a project has been renamed.

Performance and Stability

• Logic now uses multiple available cores as expected when performing offline bounces.

• Resolves an issue in which Logic sometimes quit unexpectedly when deleting multiple Marquee selected tracks with the Drag Mode set to Shuffle L.

• Fixes an issue in which clicking in an automation lane with the Marquee tool could cause Logic to quit unexpectedly.

• Channel strip level meters no longer sometimes momentarily stop responding when the playhead is moved to a new position during playback.

• Loading a Kontakt 4/5 factory preset in 64-bit mode no longer causes Logic to quit unexpectedly.

• Logic now reliably initializes MIDI ports when Logic is launched by double-clicking a project file, choosing “Open with” from the project file contextual menu, or when using the Load Most Recent Project startup action.

Audio

• Channel strips with pre-fader sends now mute consistently.

• Audio playback while using Prelisten in the Audio Bin now properly updates when changing the selection of files or regions.

• Fixes an issue in which record repeat would delete the wrong take.

Plug-ins and Instruments

• Dropping multiple samples on the EXS editor keyboard and choosing the Contiguous Zones option now correctly results in a chromatic mapping of the samples.

• Using the + key to step through EXS instruments no longer causes Logic to sometimes quit unexpectedly.

• The Key Release Time for a Group can now be set to values greater than 1000 as expected in the EXS editor.

• Fixes an issue in which EXS24 did not play one-shots in mono or legato mode.

• Resolves an issue in EXS24 in which instruments containing zones triggered by key release via a group were susceptible to stuck notes.

• In EVB3, the extended parameter area no longer shows controls already available in the main plug-in window.

• Ultrabeat now properly maintains the set pitch of a previously loaded sample after browsing for a new sample and then canceling.

• Resolves an issue in which auditioning samples in Ultrabeat with Voice Auto Select and "Preview in Voice" active could lead to a sample endlessly looping.

Control Surfaces

• Changes made to a project using a control surface now reliably activate the control surface Save button.

• The Undo LED on Logic Control now correctly lights to show the availability of undo steps.

• Setting parameter assignments on Control Surfaces to fixed values other than 1 now works correctly in 64-bit mode.

General

• Clicking on an unused take after deleting a comp section no longer selects the entire take folder.

• Resolves an issue in which using Auto Set Locators by Marquee Selection with very small Marquee selection lengths could result in the playhead getting stuck.

• Playback now reliably starts from the beginning of the project after using the "Return to Zero" button in the Transport, no matter what Play setting is active.

• With Catch Clock Position active and Cycle enabled, Logic now centers the cycle area if it fits within the current view.

• Fixes an issue in which the visible area in the Arrange window would sometimes jump a few pixels to the left after scrolling to the right on OS X 10.7 Lion.

• Resolves an issue in which using the Fade tool on a region could cause audio regions to be deleted in projects that contain unused audio regions.

• "Bounce - Replace All Tracks" now places regions on the correct tracks in songs that contain MIDI take folders.

• Volume automation now works reliably on all frozen tracks.

• Resolves an issue in which the Hyper editor did not reliably update to show new selections at high vertical zoom levels.

• MIDI editors now reliably update to show the contents of MIDI regions selected by rubber-band selection.

• In the Event editor, the up, down, left, and right arrow keys now correctly navigate between fields while in text edit mode.

• Logic no longer sometimes asks to save changes when closing a song that has not been changed.

• The key commands to select projects now work as expected.

• After using Save As to make a new version of an existing project to a new location, the recording path for the project is now appropriately updated to the location where the new project was saved.

• Resolves an issue in which moving an audio region where the anchor had been set caused the anchor to reset to the beginning of the region if the project contained take folders.

• Fixes an issue in which moving or copying a take folder with the drag mode set to No Overlap could alter the take folder.

Logic Pro 9.1.6: Release notes

Download Logic 9.1.6 now at http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1014.

Edited by David Nahmani

• Logic no longer sometimes asks to save changes when closing a song that has not been changed.

Only took them what, 15 years to get this one right? :roll:

;)

Truly glad to see even just this one improvement.

Better late than never... Also the one about the audio bin and preview changing on time.... I thought that was a "feature" lol

Only took them what, 15 years to get this one right? :roll:

;)

Truly glad to see even just this one improvement.

"sometimes" haha more like "pretty much every time"

I too, am very glad to see this fix

Oh jeez, I totally missed the "sometimes"! ROFLMAO at the "sometimes fixed" problem :lol:

Actually (and seriously) there were times when Logic would sometimes not ask to save a song when you closed it; for example, when you opened a song for something as simple as visual inspection, or playback, but no actual changes made.

Sometimes...

:lol:

Multiple cores in an offline bounce, eh?

:happydance:

Mind you, the cheaper Logic gets, the more nervous I get about it's future... *cough* Shake *cough*... £140 for Logic Pro is pretty aggressive pricing, though it was to be expected.

It's quite a bit cheaper than FCPX...

Edited by beej

Logic Pro 9 only costs £139 in the App Store :shock:

Yep, I mentioned this in my post above.

I remember when Space Designer *alone* was something like £450...

I was interested to hear about "Reliably initialises MIDI ports.." - I'm hoping that this fixes Logic's reshuffling of how it refers to MIDI ports as they come and go on your system - ie, if you remove a device with MIDI ports, and you had controller assignments mapped to particular ports, they still correctlly get mapped to the correct ports, even though the order has changed... in other words, let's hope it remembers MIDI ports by name, not by the order in a changing list of MIDI ports...

that this fixes Logic's reshuffling of how it refers to MIDI ports as they come and go on your system - ie, if you remove a device with MIDI ports, and you had controller assignments mapped to particular ports, they still correctlly get mapped to the correct ports, even though the order has changed... in other words, let's hope it remembers MIDI ports by name, not by the order in a changing list of MIDI ports...

+1! Hopefully you (or someone else) can report back if this is indeed the case.

uh.. I was thinking what a great deal then I realized...Where's Wave Burner? Where's Sound Track Pro? So basically this is Logic Express with surround features enabled... still not a bad deal but what happens to those programs??

Soundtrack Pro has been all but unofficially discontinued. We assume the same for Wave Burner, but we don't know yet officially. It may be that new versions of both of these do in fact end up in the app store, but my guess is that they are being end-of-lifed. Apple doesn't really like optical media, and hasn't spent any further time developing apps that specifically deal with those (DVD Studio, Wave Burner etc).

There were rumours that WB-like functionality was going to be rolled into Logic directly, which would make some sense, but they are still only rumours at this point.

No, it's not Logic Express, it's Logic Pro - the differences between these apps are well documented. Logic Express has been officially discontinued now and all "Studio" apps are being unbundled, whether FCS or LS.

Does Apple clearance there software?

What's the point? The new version of Logic Pro is now the price of Logic Express. Buy Logic Pro for your friends!

I said friends not lovers... haha. I figured Apple might compete with Cubase Essential at $99/100 usd. I'd drop a $100 on three friends but for $200 a piece somebody has to come home with me. Haha

I email them the new price... maybe they'll bite now.

I said friends not lovers... haha. I figured Apple might compete with Cubase Essential at $99/100 usd. I'd drop a $100 on three friends but for $200 a piece somebody has to come home with me. Haha

I email them the new price... maybe they'll bite now.

The idea behind the new pricing structure is to offer a single app at the price of the previously lower priced one. They're not going to sell Logic Express for cheaper. Maybe, if you're lucky, some resellers like Amazon still have some boxes that they'll discount?

How about for those of us that paid the original retail price. Are we going to get a discount on X? Our app just went below half of what we paid...

Why would we..? If X is the same price as the current version of 9 on the App store it will still be cheaper than the original upgrade price from 8 to 9.....

How about for those of us that paid the original retail price. Are we going to get a discount on X? Our app just went below half of what we paid...

Why would we..? If X is the same price as the current version of 9 on the App store it will still be cheaper than the original upgrade price from 8 to 9.....

And what makes you believe they will sell X for the current price of 9? For all I know they just want to keep 9 around while selling X as per the Final Cut fiasco...

No, it doesn't work like that.

There are those of us here that paid full 1990's prices for Logic, plus plugins and updates along the way. Doesn't mean we are owed anything other than what we bought at the time...

Besides, the new AppStore price is essentially the same as the old upgrade prices for Logic Pro anyway, so it all works out the same - just a cheaper entry point for new users...